I Love Crossfit

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
In defense of him he trains for power with the weights and also explosivly without them. I guess he has his own type of max effort and dynamic effort protocol.[/quote]

Yea, but I don’t see how holding a weight helps him punch more powerful.

He’s working the muscles that are keeping the weight up while he punches, and I don’t see a reason for that.

If the resistance was in the horizontal plane (like with bands, or punching with the weights in his hands, but laying down), then maybe I could see a point.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:
In defense of him he trains for power with the weights and also explosivly without them. I guess he has his own type of max effort and dynamic effort protocol.

Yea, but I don’t see how holding a weight helps him punch more powerful.

He’s working the muscles that are keeping the weight up while he punches, and I don’t see a reason for that.

If the resistance was in the horizontal plane (like with bands, or punching with the weights in his hands, but laying down), then maybe I could see a point.[/quote]

Why does a baseball player swing a weighted bat?

Why does a pitcher throw a weighted ball?

Why does a basketball player wear a weighted vest?

Why does a golfer swing a weighted club?

Why do football players push something that weighs more than anything they hit?

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
That has nothing to do with CrossFit. Thats Calasan.[/quote]

Minus 10 cool points for knowing the difference. :slight_smile:

[quote]PGA200X wrote:

Why do football players push something that weighs more than anything they hit?[/quote]

Yea, but with all of those, maybe with the exception of the weighted baseball bat, the resistance is in the opposite direction of where the work is being done.

The weighted baseball bat, I’d assume, works because of the speed that the bat’s being swung, even with the weight.

If a baseball player swings with a heavy sledgehammer, they’re not really working the muscles involved in the swing as much as the muscles involved in keeping the hammer extended.

I could see adding a little weight, and trying to increase the speed of the punch with the weight, but I think there has to be a limit to where the added weight slows down the punch too much (just like there would be a limit to how much added weight a baseball player would add to the bat).

In the video, the guy’s using so much weight, the punch is extremely slow compared to a regular punch. The weight is pushing his arm down. The only resistance he’s getting in the opposite direction that he’s punching is the inertia of the weight.

Let’s say your relatively slow with your bench and you want to work on explosiveness, so you use the DE method. You wouldn’t bench with bands pulling the weight horizontally, with no weight pushing down on you. You’d use a enough weight to be explosive in the direction that you’re trying to push.

oh holy crap

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

Yea, but with all of those, maybe with the exception of the weighted baseball bat, the resistance is in the opposite direction of where the work is being done.

The weighted baseball bat, I’d assume, works because of the speed that the bat’s being swung, even with the weight.

If a baseball player swings with a heavy sledgehammer, they’re not really working the muscles involved in the swing as much as the muscles involved in keeping the hammer extended.

I could see adding a little weight, and trying to increase the speed of the punch with the weight, but I think there has to be a limit to where the added weight slows down the punch too much (just like there would be a limit to how much added weight a baseball player would add to the bat).

In the video, the guy’s using so much weight, the punch is extremely slow compared to a regular punch. The weight is pushing his arm down. The only resistance he’s getting in the opposite direction that he’s punching is the inertia of the weight.

Let’s say your relatively slow with your bench and you want to work on explosiveness, so you use the DE method. You wouldn’t bench with bands pulling the weight horizontally, with no weight pushing down on you. You’d use a enough weight to be explosive in the direction that you’re trying to push.[/quote]

dumbell punching no dumbell punching I bet he can kick the living shit out of your smart,theorizing ass any day…

[quote]M.B wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

Let’s say your relatively slow with your bench and you want to work on explosiveness, so you use the DE method. You wouldn’t bench with bands pulling the weight horizontally, with no weight pushing down on you. You’d use a enough weight to be explosive in the direction that you’re trying to push.

dumbell punching no dumbell punching I bet he can kick the living shit out of your smart,theorizing ass any day…

[/quote]

Wow, that’s not at all the point is it now?

If I had to be able to play better than pro athletes for example, BEFORE I was allowed to critique them then I would never be able to say anything.

There is an optimum way to train for the martial arts and it doesn’t take a Chuck Norris to realize that this guy is not training optimally.

SWR-1240 is exactly right with his comments. Punching a heavy bag with the fairly heavy weights that he uses is NOT going to help him and could possibly slow his punch down.

It doesn’t matter who can beat him and who can’t beat him. Might doesn’t make right.

[quote]M.B wrote:

[/quote]

Based on what?

Dumbass.

[quote]Smitty88 wrote:

If I had to be able to play better than pro athletes for example, BEFORE I was allowed to critique them then I would never be able to say anything.

There is an optimum way to train for the martial arts and it doesn’t take a Chuck Norris to realize that this guy is not training optimally.

SWR-1240 is exactly right with his comments. Punching a heavy bag with the fairly heavy weights that he uses is NOT going to help him and could possibly slow his punch down.

It doesn’t matter who can beat him and who can’t beat him. Might doesn’t make right.[/quote]

From what I understand thats not how he trains all the time. I can see if he did that all the time it would be an issue but he doesnt. Its something that he incorporates into his training.

I dont see what the downside would be to that if its part, not all, of his strength training which is what it exactlly is.

From an AC locker room last year:

Weighted gloves won’t work. The resistance (gravity) point straight down - the punch goes straight out.

The main thing you can do is increase the strength of the lats and rhomboids and biceps (the antagonists to punching).
The speed of a punch is determined primarily by your bodies ability to DECELERATE the limb. Unless your body can safely and effectively decelerate the punch at the end range of motion (to protect the joints) it won’t allow you to reach full speed.

So - the short answer is increase antagonistic strength and eccentric strength.

AC

[quote]Smitty88 wrote:
M.B wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

It doesn’t matter who can beat him and who can’t beat him. Might doesn’t make right.[/quote]

well he trains to fight,and he can punch harder than you and kick your ass and you tell him he is training wrong? WTF

who the fuck are you to tell a fighter who trains every day that he is trainig wrong and how do you know the dumbell punching is not helping his punch power,oh I know you read a book…written by a pencil-neck armchair athlete,while this guy has dedicated his whole life to training,you are telling him he trains wrong because you have read an article on the internet written by a guy who probably never threw a hard punch in his life!

Would that be the hardest working midget in showbiz?

[quote]M.B wrote:

well he trains to fight,and he can punch harder than you and kick your ass and you tell him he is training wrong? WTF[/quote]

We have been over this huh? One more time for the kids and those who are mentally challenged.

1. Might does not make right. If it did we would have people like Mike Tyson ruling the world.

2. You don’t know that he can punch harder than SWR. That is an assumption on your part. SWR could be Mike Tyson. But, that would not make him right - Refer to lesson number one on that.

More of your asinine kid logic. Okay…let me turn it back on you so you see how stupid that statement is.

Who are YOU to tell SWR that he is wrong?

You mean you saw it on the Internet and then automatically think that it’s correct to train that way?

(jaw drops)

He dedicated his entire life to training huh? Well then how many world titles does he hold?

Regional titles?

State titles?

See what I mean?

You are assuming that those who are against striking a heavy bag with weights have never themselves thrown a punch in their lives.

You assume plenty huh?

Anyone who knows anything about striking knows that you don’t strike with a heavy weight in your hand. Mainly for the reasons that were mentionied earlier.

But over all it’s one of those things just about everyone except that idiot knows.

How many great boxers train that way? ZERO

How many great UFC fighters train that way? ZERO

How many great PRIDE fighters train that way? ZEREO

How many morons train that way? PLENTY!

Go be a stupid kid somewhere else. You are sucking up valuble T-Nation bandwidth.

[quote]TheWookie wrote:
Would that be the hardest working midget in showbiz?[/quote]

WHAHAHAHA…:slight_smile:

[quote]M.B wrote:

well he trains to fight,and he can punch harder than you and kick your ass and you tell him he is training wrong? WTF

who the fuck are you to tell a fighter who trains every day that he is trainig wrong and how do you know the dumbell punching is not helping his punch power,oh I know you read a book…written by a pencil-neck armchair athlete,while this guy has dedicated his whole life to training,you are telling him he trains wrong because you have read an article on the internet written by a guy who probably never threw a hard punch in his life![/quote]

Nah, I’m pretty sure he trains to jump around and make silly videos. I bet he comes up to my bellybutton. Now if he had six other midgets with him, then we might see a fight.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
M.B wrote:

who the fuck are you to tell a fighter who trains every day that he is trainig wrong and how do you know the dumbell punching is not helping his punch power,oh I know you read a book…written by a pencil-neck armchair athlete,while this guy has dedicated his whole life to training,you are telling him he trains wrong because you have read an article on the internet written by a guy who probably never threw a hard punch in his life!

Nah, I’m pretty sure he trains to jump around and make silly videos. I bet he comes up to my bellybutton. Now if he had six other midgets with him, then we might see a fight.[/quote]

How many midgets do you think it would take to beat up an average sized guy?

[quote]PGA200X wrote:

Why do football players push something that weighs more than anything they hit?[/quote]

Using weighted equipment is often a bad idea because it can seriously (and often detrimentally) change your mechanics.

Want to get better at pitching? Then why on Earth are you shot-putting?

Sprinters don’t sprint with added weight because it screws up their mechanics. Old School QB’s used to throw weighted footballs – until they realized it royally messed up their accuracy with normal footballs.

Sometimes adding weight to an activity helps. Sometimes it’s retarded.

I happen to agree with SWR in that punching with a heavy dumbbell is just stupid, since it completely changes the punching motion.

Look at this guy in the video! His whole body is leaning back, and then lurching forward to get the dumbbell to the bag. That’s not punching! This guy is merely training himself to heave a dumbbell at a punching bag.

I can’t imagine it helps his punching speed or power much at all, and certainly not more than conventional training would.

[quote]M.B wrote:
Smitty88 wrote:
M.B wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

It doesn’t matter who can beat him and who can’t beat him. Might doesn’t make right.

who the fuck are you to tell a fighter who trains every day that he is trainig wrong and how do you know the dumbell punching is not helping his punch power,oh I know you read a book…written by a pencil-neck armchair athlete,while this guy has dedicated his whole life to training,you are telling him he trains wrong because you have read an article on the internet written by a guy who probably never threw a hard punch in his life![/quote]

Your argument is quite strange, actually it’s retarded.

this guy is more muscular, more flexible, and just as fast as bruce lee.

plus he’s clearly experiencing severe mental problems

i give it an A+

thumbs up!

EHYAHHHH YAH EAHAHAH
I took karate for a while and also praying mantis and I never heard anyone make that much noise.