Just Another Log

I might have to change the tempo. That’s actually a really good idea!

I say chin-ups, but I vary it every time I train it. I do pull-ups, chin-ups, neutral grip, wide grip, inverted grip (one hand over, one hand under), etc. I’ll give the tempo a try for the next few sessions and see how that feels. I’m thinking like 5 seconds on the way down or something like that to start with.

1 Like

Yeah, that’ll definitely suck. Since you’re so good at pull ups, you should start doing those little tricks where it looks like you’re climbing stairs.

Haha I’ve seen those videos. Haven’t tried that yet. I’m saving that for when I get into my “Calisthenics are the best” phase haha!

1 Like

SGSS is going to do you good.
As for chins or pull ups, how about doing 1½ reps, pausing at the top and halfway down then up again pause slowly down.
That would be something :slight_smile:

1 Like

So this is how my lay out will look:

MONDAY / THURSDAY
Back Squat
Front Squat
Deadlift
RDL
Farmers Walk

TUESDAY / FRIDAY
OH Press (ss: Chin-Ups - all variations)
Bench Press (ss: BB Row)
BB Curl (ss: Band Pull Aparts)

I will be doing back squat and then front squat because it’s just easier to transition with one barbell. I hate loading up deadlifts and then have to put it back up and load it again. This seems to line up with my goals of trying to get to a 500 squat by end of year.

I love the simplicity of this program. Not TOO different than what I’ve been doing, but it’ll be nice to have some structure.

Hopefully this is the program I can stick to for 12 weeks. I’ll have to do it at some point lol. Will have to really utilize meal prepping next 3 months so I can pack some quality weight. If in 12 weeks I can gain 4-5lbs total I think it would be pure muscle.

2 Likes

Everything looks good. I did deadlift second in my program and still increased my max.

You can do this! I will definitely whine and complain in your log if you start talking about quitting early.

If that’s laser at both ends (vs a hand start like they do at combine) 4.76 is already worth 4.57 or so. None of it is pointless if you like the goal you’re working toward. And 25-40 - height doesn’t matter. There are 5’8” guys who have run 9.8 for 100m with no faster than a 4.4 first 40. First 40 is all accelerating and pushing anyway and longer limbs don’t help much. And with a 10’ slj - you have the push to keep accelerating the whole way.

Realize you like switching things up a bunch, and are moving some big weights and dunking on people like you’re Nate Robinson - and… do you ever wonder if you’d make more/bigger gains if you stuck to one progression for 12-18 months?

2 Likes

I can tell you were a college track athlete. My wife has told me about their training looking at years as micro and meso cycles while the four year career was the macro cycle. Crazy stuff!

Funny thing is, despite going to a national champion team, we didn’t really do that at all. Basically did an annual periodization plan starting with high volume slow running and progressing to lower volume fast running over course of the year. Jumps and hurdles, started with shorter approach and progressed to longer approaches. Throws just threw all year. Weights mostly just in fall and maybe once a week during competition. In fall we would do 2 cycles on bench, squat, clean where we would go 6x6-5x5-4x4-3x3-3x2 then max over a 6 week period. Worked well for new to weights guys but not that great a program.

Didn’t figure out how to plan micro-meso-macro till i picked it up again in my 30’s!

2 Likes

That’s too bad but not uncommon. Somehow there are a lot of people in the position of strength coach who don’t really know their stuff. My wife’s team coaches handled everything and they do a good job. The team has their own weight room and doesn’t train with the head strength coach.

Some athletes would dedicate an entire year to growth. Performance would be sacrificed with the goal of being much better the following year.

2 Likes

WEEK 1 - DAY 3

Back Squat
335x8
335x8
335x8
335x8
335x8

Front Squat
285x8
285x8
285x8
285x8
285x8

Deadlift
365x8
365x8
365x8
365x8
365x8

RDL
315x8
315x8
315x8
315x8
315x8

Farmers Walk (Trap Bar)
315 @ 60 meters (3 trips)

Notes
DAMN this was a tough workout! Even though the loads weren’t super heavy it was A LOT of work total. Workout still didn’t take too long. Didn’t rest more than 60-90 seconds between sets so I was DRENCHED at the end of this. Felt like I was doing Building The Monolith again honestly lol.

7 Likes

Simple but it’s effective! I was always very hungry the rest of the day after finishing the leg day with five sets.

1 Like

That’s a whole lot of work nutty

1 Like

Dude I’ve been EATING all day. Literally ate a large pho 2 spring rolls, then a few hours later got a philly cheesesteak, and now I’m eating a burger lol. My wife is gonna kill me when she sees I spent 30 dollars on food today before even coming home lol!

Fuck yeah man, 23 sets of HEAVY lifting sucks lol. My lower back and hamstrings and upper back are already starting to get sore and it’s only like 10 hours later lol. I haven’t felt true DOMS in a long time and I can already tell I’m going to feel it tomorrow and the day after.

4 Likes

I never thought I’d say this, but I almost miss that. Getting the itch to try something stupid and high volume.

You’d be fine with this program. Similar to 5/3/1, you start light and build up. If you plan it right then you’ll be close to, but not at, your 1RM by the end of week 12.

It’s been a year since I first started the program and I’m still amazed at my progress. I just wish I could still do everything in that program.

I need to stick with what I’m doing. I just got started!

But I could probably run the SGSS double progression on one lift along with the bodybuilding stuff… :thinking:

1 Like

Trust me if you felt how I felt today, you wouldn’t miss it one bit lol.

I think the fact you are doing 8’s for 3 weeks, 5’s for 3 weeks, 3’s for 3 weeks, and basically working up to a 1rm (not full true 1rm) is a nice way to progress. Reminds me of Alpha’s program in the sense you doing a month of 8’s, then 5’s, then 3’s, and then you come back to 8’s as your built in “deload” in a sense.

1 Like

SGSS WEEK 1 - DAY 4

OH PRESS (ss: Chin-Ups 5x10 with long pauses at the top)
135x8
145x8
155 @ 5x8

BENCH PRESS (ss: BB Row - 265 @ 8,8,8,6,5)
205x8
225x8
245 @ 8,8,8,8,5

BB CURL
105 @ 3x12

CONDITION
None am too exhausted for once lol.

NOTES
I’m going to stick with the same weights for one or two more weeks to get into the groove into this program before I start adding weight for the week. This is just to get my body use to the amount of big movements in one workout.

Been a long time since I’ve missed reps, so in doing this I think I’ll be primed. So instead of 12 weeks, SGSS will run 13-14 weeks for me. Not a big deal at all. I’m a big believer in mastering the programming/workout before upping the load.

4 Likes

So for the next 14 weeks I’m going to stick to a VERY specific meal plan. Even if I go OUT to eat, I’ll get a rice dish. I told my wife I want to really take the next 14 weeks seriously like I’ve never had. So it’s sticking to a program and sticking to a meal plan. I think I’ll shocked by my results at the end of it!

TIME TO PUT ON THAT MASS FOR THE SUMMER TIME!

Breakfast
White Rice, Eggs, Fruit

Lunch
White Rice, Meat, Veggies

Dinner
White Rice, Meat, Veggies

Desert
PB&J sandwich with a glass of milk

6 Likes