T Nation

I Like Big Squats I Can Not Lie

Sit ups give you a nice burning in your abs. Let’s you know something good is happening. In my experience, people like a bit of a burn in the “problems areas”, whatever they are. Even if it achieves nothing, the feeling of progress will keep them motivated.

1 Like

Consider fat man rows as an easy to teach, lower back friendly row.

And don’t shy away from stuff that’s too “crossfittey”. Thrusters and burpees (depending on weight and knee health), can work wonders and are again, very easy to learn.

1 Like

Yeah with her I think I’ll stick to cable and chest supported rows. Not at the point yet for her to do those inverted rows. But thanks for the advice man.

I think you right, keeping it extremely simple is the way to go.

Trap Bar DL
Goblet Squat
Push Up
Cable or Chest Supported Rows
Sit Ups
Condition

And if she wants to do extra shit I’ll just let her have it. I think you right about the “burn” being motivating to people.

No worries man. Glad I can add something of value to someone’s log. Gets kinda tedious posting “good work” all the time because everyone’s lifting in a different league to you

1 Like

For sure man, I appreciate all input and advice. Doesn’t matter where or who it’s coming from. Your lifts will come up soon too man, just gotta stay with it! I honestly feel weak when I see some of the logs on here lol. I’m strong for my size, but the amount of static strength some of our fellow members have is just ridiculous.

All due respect, bud, and I think your other goals are great, but…I don’t think you may appreciate how fast this is. That’s NFL-wide-receiver-training-with-coaches-to-prepare-for-the-combine fast. I have friends that were highly successful college football players (wide receivers, running backs) that aren’t that fast. If it’s a goal you want to have, cool, but just be advised this is wayyyyy harder to hit than your other goals.

2 Likes

If you ever feel weak, just have a look back at some of your old logs. That will soon put you right.

I know I’m weak, and it’s going to be a slow, slow process undoing the damage. I don’t beat myself up over that really, however I like to contribute to communities I’m involved with, like this one, and I’m very aware I’m not the best cheerleader in the world so when I get a chance to actually add some value, I like to take it.

1 Like

For sure man! Gotta aim high to see what happens! I know 4.4 is ridiculously fast. I got a few friends that play in the NFL (OT/OG, CB, LB, WR) so luckily I’ll have some people to measure against for straight line speed lol.

I think with my power right now I can probably run a 4.7-4.9. If I was to fix my sprint mechanics and practice I think I could get to a 4.6, maybe, who knows. I have short legs tho, so great for squatting but not good for sprinting lol.

It’s the least important out of all my goals, but I feel like having one measurable conditioning/speed goal is good. Maybe I should try to just run a mile under 5 minutes lol.

It’s funny - speed and rate of force development and strength and power output all have some interrelationship. But the correlation is nowhere near as high as you’d think. Fast guys are almost always very strong for their weight (especially squat, clean, etc) - but strong guys, even when lean, able to dunk, etc - are not always fast.

How you time it makes a difference as well. There’s a company called freelap - that builds pretty affordable fully automatic timing systems that you can set up and run on your own. They have electronic start and stop - so a 4.55 or 4.6 on that would be worth a 4.4 the way they time at the combine - for instance. One of my good friends was a top few in the world decathlete and could run 100m in under 10.5, had your kind of lift numbers (a bit bigger squat and clean) and his 40 was around 4.3 the way they time in NFL. When I was running low 11s 100m, I was around 4.5. The difference between 4.3 and 4.5 is massive. And between 4.4 and 4.8 - while only .4 seconds over 40 yards, is 5 yards at that speed, and at some point, your speed is majorly driven by your genetics. Mechanics make a big difference on first 10-15 yards - but after that, fixing mechanics won’t make a huge difference. Go time yourself now, and see where you’re at, and you’ll know pretty much immediately if 4.4 is within reason. You for sure don’t need to be any stronger to run that fast.

2 Likes

Heavy cleans with bad form = strong men who make CSCS- Fellators upset.
-Jim Wendler

Disclaimer: Not knocking form, just saw this Wendler quote yesterday and it fit, ha!

2 Likes

Jim still thinks the bar shouldn’t touch the body, hence the term clean.

It’s funny how people can embrace new implements and gear over the years but refuse to accept a new/better technique.

It’s surprising that he doesn’t accept the current technique because it leads to more weight lifted. More weight lifted should lead to more mass and strength, right?

2 Likes

How are they timing at the combine to result in lower numbers?

Badly.

Bruh… have you seen @littlesleeper 220lbs at 5’8?? Different genetics obviously but don’t set limits on yourself!

2 Likes

They hand start at first movement (so clock starts depending on reaction time of the starter, but stops with laser finish. The standard rule of thumb in track and field is to add .24 from a hand time to a fully automatic). Reality is that it ranges from about .12 to about .20 - whereas start from first movement starts immediately and stops upon breaking the beam at the end, so no room for human reaction time or error.

Bear in mind I have no real idea what the NFL combine is, why don’t they use the most accurate way to time it? I’ve heard they aren’t short of a bob or two in the NFL and this stuff sounds like they take it pretty seriously.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s crazy to hear they don’t use automatic timing for the start and stop. We had that in high school over 15 years ago.

That makes those 6’6", 280 lb guys running a 4.4 sound more human. Still freaks, but it’s good to know they’re closer to 4.6.

I think the average human takes 0.75 sec to perceive something and another 0.75 sec to react. I learned that in traffic collision investigation (that’s where the 2 sec following rule comes from). I don’t think it would directly apply to timing a 40 since the timer is anticipating the start, but it shows how such a method would definitely be flawed.

I believe the rule they use in track and field for judging false starts is 0.1 seconds. Any quicker than that is a false start. From memory, when I used to follow this stuff, there were a few athletes who believed they could react quicker than that (Colin Jackson, for example), and thought that out them at an unfair disadvantage.

But @littlesleeper is a different beast all together lol. Dude looks like he has some thick ass bones. My thin boned frame can’t fill out while staying ripped like that!

You right I’ve never set limits on myself but I’m thinking 5’7 @ 190ish with less than 10% bf is upper echelon for having great but not world class genetics.

1 Like

I’ve never understood how the NFL with all that money still doesn’t do certain things right. Like even the bench press test for reps is the most ridiculous thing. It shows endurance and strength but it doesn’t really translate to the field. Look at Christian McCaffrey. Dude only did a few reps of 225, but he can squat 500+ like butter. Obviously you can see that on the field lol.

1 Like