T Nation

I Know There's No 'Inner' Pec...

But it feels like my outer areas of my chest are growing much faster than the inner portion. I have stopped doing standard bench press and am now doing mostly dumbell work, flies and dips.

Anything else I should be doing to get that big “inner chest” look?

[quote]Politico wrote:
But it feels like my outer areas of my chest are growing much faster than the inner portion. I have stopped doing standard bench press and am now doing mostly dumbell work, flies and dips.

Anything else I should be doing to get that big “inner chest” look?[/quote]

Yes…gain more size. If you have no “inner chest” it is because you very little “overall chest”. Granted you could just have a larger gap at the insertion on your sternum, but even then enough size is going to give growth in the middle of your chest as well.

If you wear a size 38 suit jacket, the problem isn’t your huge “outer chest”.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Politico wrote:

Yes…gain more size. If you have no “inner chest” it is because you very little “overall chest”. Granted you could just have a larger gap at the insertion on your sternum, but even then enough size is going to give growth in the middle of your chest as well.

If you wear a size 38 suit jacket, the problem isn’t your huge “outer chest”.[/quote]

So the outer areas seeming to grow quicker is just normal?

[quote]Politico wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Politico wrote:

If you wear a size 38 suit jacket, the problem isn’t your huge “outer chest”.

So the outer areas seeming to grow quicker is just normal?
[/quote]

It is all growing. You just won’t notice as much development at the center of your chest because the bulk of ANY bodybuilder’s development is everywhere but the midline (sternum) and clavicle unless their development is very extreme, in which case their chest is simply like a plate of armor from top to bottom.

If you have a small chest you don’t start worrying about your “inner pecs”. You work on gaining more size and body weight so that your chest finally fills in. No body with huge muscles is worried about their “inner chest”. It grows with everything else.

Alright, thanks a bunch.