I Know I Need Work

[quote]Poacher1632 wrote:
You really gotta work on that chest man. Get creative with it. At your weight your bench should be much higher. Check out some routins to increase your numbers and size.

Have a buddy push down on the bar as you bench with a weight 50% of your max for 8 reps and then immediately do 8 reps without resistance…just a thought. arms look good but you need to post some more pics man so we can really “rate your physique”[/quote]

HEll yeah, I totally agree. I’m trying to get my bench press max to atlest 385lbs to 400lbs for a goal. My main focus however is to work on my legs and my back. I’m trying to desperatly get my lats bigger and my squat lifts and deadlifts higher. Well at least it gives me something to strive for. Thanks for the advice on the chest workout. I’m going to try that and see how that works for me.

[quote]Handsome Rob 84 wrote:
Hey T-Nation. Just looking for some constructive criticism again. I thought the pictures would do me more justice than they did on these but I’m a work in progress.

My bench is currently 275lbs 6 times, my dead lift is 400 lbs six times, and my squat ( don’t laugh) is 275lbs 4 times (ass to ankles that is). I think my lats need some work still and my legs need to be thicker. I also think my arms should look bigger than they do. Well I’m trying so don’t be too mean. What do you think? Legs included Venus[/quote]

Looks like you’re lacking on definition. However, you’re in a good position because you don’t look fat and you don’t look skinny. That’s a good foundation. You don’t quite look like you should be in the beginner section, but you’re not ready for competition (not that you plan to, but just for analytical purposes.)

Keep on keepin’ on bro.

Learn…how…to…pose.

Rob, you Jason Statham Wannabe,

your upper body looks solid, but imho your legs are lagging behind.

How about lat spread and back double biceps poses to better be able to judge your back?

I’ll withhold my vote until then.

[quote]FattyFat wrote:

[/quote]

LOL

[quote]FattyFat wrote:

your upper body looks solid, but imho your legs are lagging behind.

How about lat spread and back double biceps poses to better be able to judge your back?

I’ll withhold my vote until then.

[/quote]

Ha ha, I thought the Jason Statham reference was kinda funny. Hell yeah I know my legs are lagging behind. I’ve been really trying to focus on the squats (ass to ankles) and the deadlift to catch them up. Sorry about the lack of photos. I’ll post one with a lat spread and a double bicep soon.

[quote]Eddie_would_tow wrote:
Handsome Rob 84 wrote:
Hey T-Nation. Just looking for some constructive criticism again. I thought the pictures would do me more justice than they did on these but I’m a work in progress.

My bench is currently 275lbs 6 times, my dead lift is 400 lbs six times, and my squat ( don’t laugh) is 275lbs 4 times (ass to ankles that is). I think my lats need some work still and my legs need to be thicker. I also think my arms should look bigger than they do. Well I’m trying so don’t be too mean. What do you think? Legs included Venus

Looks like you’re lacking on definition. However, you’re in a good position because you don’t look fat and you don’t look skinny. That’s a good foundation. You don’t quite look like you should be in the beginner section, but you’re not ready for competition (not that you plan to, but just for analytical purposes.)

Keep on keepin’ on bro.

[/quote]

Thanks for the insight. Yeah I know I’m not ready for a competition. I’m tryiing to keep the fat content to a minimum but I can tell that I’ve put on quite a bit. Well I’m a work in progress.

Rob this is Rob.

I got to give you some mad props because I am your height but at 170lbs. My deadlift (blows, a 280) does not compare to you but my squat is at 305x4 ass to ankles as you say. Unfortunately I have to cut fat and lose a little muscle for a fight coming up, so I am leaner then I usually am.

I am curious to know what kind of training you do in regards to powerlifting, as in the past that has worked for me in relation to size/strength maintainence without gaining too much fat. Plus its easier for us smaller, more compact guys to get good ROM while throwing up some heavier iron.

Front/Overhead squats will really help get those numbers up and create more definition in your wheels.

Curious to know your routine too, I want to bulk when I take some time off from the ring: looks like your program really helped pack on some size.

Cheers bro

Thanks for the complement. I have to give you props as well for being a fighter. I’m sure overall you’re in better shape than me. Plus I wish I knew how to fight. LOL

Well my routine right now has been low reps, high weight to try to add some size as you are right in the fact that us compact guys have a difficult time putting on size. It’s funny to see a guy in the gym who looks alot bigger but can’t lift nearly as heavy. Have you ever noticed that? I’ve lately been doing my workouts as follows:

Day 1 Flat bench: 2 or 3 warmup sets increasing the weight slightly, then 2 sets of bench press with weight I can do 4 to 6 times, the 3rd set I reserve for putting weight on that I’m not too comfortable with. I may be able to do it 1 or 2 times. The slowly increasing in heavier weight really helped me get stronger and I find it’s the only way for me to put on added size.

Military press: I do Military press with a straight bar or dumbells depending on what I feel like. Same principle, I do a warmup set or two and I do 2 or 3 workout sets; 2 sets being with weight I can do 4 to 6 times and the 3rd reserved for much heavier weight. Don’t be afraid to ask for a spot. There’s no shame in it.

Weighted dips: 3 to 5 sets; 12 to 15 reps

Day 2 Cardio because I’m training for OCS so the size might disappear somewhat but shit happens.

Day 3 Pull ups and/ or lat pull downs:
For pull ups I’ve been trying to go for more reps because I have to do 20 of them for a perfect PFT in OCS training and right now I find it hard being heavier in weight and I think my lats are a little under developed.

Seated rows: 3 to 5 sets 4 to 6 reps

Shoulder shrugs: I like to do these with a straight bar but some people use dumbells which is fine. My first couple of sets on these I go light because I have a fear of injuring my shoulder after knowing someone who did. After I warm up I really try to go heavy and sometimes it feels like I can barely hold the bar. Get a belt if you go really heavy to protect your back.

Bicep curls: 3 sets,12 to 15 reps because I like the pump

Weighted incline situps 3 sets until failure.

Day 4 more cardio (I hate it)

Day 5
Squats: I’ve really been trying to work on these as my legs are lagging. I could take some tips from you for legs. I really try to stretch good for this because my lower back feels tense an awful lot.

Gotta warm the torso up. Anyways 2 or 3 warmups sets, nice and slow, not letting my knees go past my toes and really watching my form as this is for me, the hardest exercise to have good form.

Next 2 sets, same thing, 4 to 6 reps (ass to ankles) 3rd set, go heavy (with good form, no cheating and going only parallel) and do 1 or 2 reps with a spotter.

Deadlifts: 3 to 5 sets, 4 to 6 reps

Reverse back situps (I guess that’s what you’d call them) 3 sets as many as you can do. Use weight to build up that core.

Well I’m sure you’re tired of reading all this but this is pretty much what I do. I don’t do everything verbatum as I like to mix it up for muscle confusion but this is a template I guess.

The most important thing, especially for us is to eat clean and eat alot. I hope this information was useful and I’d like to see some pics when you put the weight and the muscle back on. Good luck on the fight

ROb

Your routine sounds good, glad to see someone who likes to deviate and hit the muscle confusion program. The same works for your cardio, I bloody feel like a gerbil on the treadmill, so I do lots of different stuff in regards to sprinting and hill work to mix it up. The good thing about that is you don’t have to run as long as you would doing moderate intensity.

Leg work can be a bitch, especially when the squats lag and such. Try box jumps with a medecine ball or use a bench. After doing your squats and such, immediately do 15 to 20 jumpups in succession to work your legs to fatigue. Also, try weighted walking lunges back and forth.

Like you said its good to change it up. With your back extensions (or situps) hold a weight plate and do more static training instead of regular raises. The more you strengthen the core(a taboo word I am sure) with planks and weighted bridges then that will help with body stability during your squats and heavier compound movements.

Yeah I’ll get some pics up eventually. I am fucking 8 or 9% bf now and have lost some size though strength remains. I look at RMP and some of the fellas up there, some good some bad. I think I’d be flamed for being too skinny and I am sure most of the dudes/dudettes will tell me to eat more. Thanks I didn’t know that. Anyways I’ll stick some up on my profile soon.

Cheers

[quote]AquilaV wrote:
Your routine sounds good, glad to see someone who likes to deviate and hit the muscle confusion program. The same works for your cardio, I bloody feel like a gerbil on the treadmill, so I do lots of different stuff in regards to sprinting and hill work to mix it up. The good thing about that is you don’t have to run as long as you would doing moderate intensity.

Leg work can be a bitch, especially when the squats lag and such. Try box jumps with a medecine ball or use a bench. After doing your squats and such, immediately do 15 to 20 jumpups in succession to work your legs to fatigue. Also, try weighted walking lunges back and forth.

Like you said its good to change it up. With your back extensions (or situps) hold a weight plate and do more static training instead of regular raises. The more you strengthen the core(a taboo word I am sure) with planks and weighted bridges then that will help with body stability during your squats and heavier compound movements.

Yeah I’ll get some pics up eventually. I am fucking 8 or 9% bf now and have lost some size though strength remains. I look at RMP and some of the fellas up there, some good some bad. I think I’d be flamed for being too skinny and I am sure most of the dudes/dudettes will tell me to eat more. Thanks I didn’t know that. Anyways I’ll stick some up on my profile soon.

Cheers[/quote]

Thanks for the leg advice, I’m going to try that because I seriously need them to be bigger. Well this is a body building website and not a “how good of shape I am” website. You’re probably in better shape right now than you will be when you put on more mass. That’s at least how I felt. I was up to 200 lbs before and then I went on a “summer cutting diet”. When I did that I dropped down to 170lbs. I lost some muscle, yes but I was able to run a 5:45 mile and I felt that it was the best shape I’ve ever been in. I’ve been flamed by people on this website too so I wouldn’t worry. You just have to take the constructive criticism with open arms.

Cheers mate,
ROb

Hey Rob, I like your progress and all, but…you look pissed off in all of your pics.

Life is good my friend, smile or something :slight_smile:

[quote]Eddie_would_tow wrote:
Hey Rob, I like your progress and all, but…you look pissed off in all of your pics.

Life is good my friend, smile or something :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Ha Ha, sorry about that. I’ll add that to my list of picture requirements right under. Learn to pose

Here’s some more recent back pics. Sorry I took so long but I got side tracked. I’ve really worked hard on my back and lats but more work still needs to be done.

Here’s a double bicep pic