T Nation

I keep falling of the wagon

with the diet that is. I’m struggling to lose that last 8-10lbs. I am currently going only 500 cals below maintenence. The first two days on the diet are fine. Usually around the 3rd day at nighttime is when I fall. If my bodys hungry it won’t let me go to sleep. Not even with sleeping pills. I’m fine during the day, but nightime is the bitch. Next thing know it’s 2:30 in the morning and my body is still going f#ck you–no food-no sleep!

Anyone got any info that might help me out? I’ll try 5-htp, but in the past it hasn’t done much.

I can fight the hunger cravings at night, that’s not the problem. It’s the issue of not being able to fall asleep while cutting down for me.

I’ve had the same problem in the past and what I would do is just have a protein shake and saome slamon oil pills or some flax oil right before i go to bed. It fill sthe stomach up and usually i can fall asleep before my body figures out i have not actually ingested that many calories. Usually around 260 cals or so. It helped me and those extra calories proabbyl aren;t going to do much harm. Hope this helps
:slight_smile: Groove

When I’ve had this problem, here’s what’s helped:

1. 3 mg of melatonin taken at least 1 and 1/2 hours before you want to fall asleep. I’m kinda big, so I guess it takes a while to hit me. I’ve heard some peeps say they can’t tolerate melatonin, but I can’t seem to tolerate anything else.

2. I agree with grooveless_torque. You defintely need some p+f to satiate you. A lot of people (myself included) may find themselves unable to stop if they have some carbs at night while they are hungry. Try a protein shake with some natural peanut butter thrown in. You could also throw in some psyllium husks as well (the fiber always helps me get full).

Good luck!

Hi, there, RF. I like Grooveless’ idea. If you’re highly disciplined during the day, but have trouble about and after the time you fall asleep, I might redistribute calories a bit to allow for a pre-bedtime or middle-of-the-night protein shake.

Another trick of mine is to take some fiber before bed. Add it to some Crystal Light. Start with a tablespoon and a second glass of water or Crystal Light and increase the amount of fiber slowly from there as your body becomes accustomed to the increased fiber intake. I promise you that you’ll have no trouble sleeping through the night.

Good luck, and congrats on getting so close to your goal weight. It’s always those last few pounds that are the hardest to get off.

I already take my fish pills at night before bed. I take 32 of them Frankly. The pills alone are 320 calories. So if I’m still hungry after that, then I down a cup of lowfat cottage cheese or take scoop or two of protein powder. Even then I can’t fall asleep.

I’ll run down today and grab some melatonin.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

If i have a protein shake b4 bed and dont fall asleep within the hour the hunger pains start coming. What I find works, is a large glass of milk (low fat or calci trim) and a large bananna.

You could give that a try. I know your trying to loose weight and dont want these extra cals. Maybe you can alter one of your morning / afternoon snacks to allow for these extra cals.

What sort of meal plan do you follow? How long before you goto bed is your last meal?

As others have suggested in a way, my recommendations would be as follows:

1. Redistribution of calories throughout day- save enough of your daily allowance for the protein + fat meal at night. It doesn’t matter about being a little hungrier during the day, as long as it doesn’t go to extremes and affect your performance.
  2. Try using the oil itself vs the oil capsules. Sure, it might taste a bit gross at first. (In fact, I find instead of mixing the oil into the other food, I find just going “down the hatch” separately means the protein taste (e.g. cottage cheese) is not spoiled). However I find the oil itself gives more satiety than taking many caps. Try to find pure salmon oil- it’s the best wrt EPA/DHA.
  3. As TT suggested, try a bit of pure fiber mixed into the protein too- adds to the “full” feeling.

Finally, I remember somebody talking about the natural otc sleep aids- a mixture of agents including HTP, melatonin etc. I was going to try these out myself, as my sleep schedule is often erratic. I’ll let you know how they work.

Good luck dude. SRS