I Just Want to Cry

I was in a car accident last week, someone slammed into me from behind while i was stopped at a stop sign. besides the fact that i had made the switch from honda to lexus about two months ago, and that i had just left the gym (which means the creatine that i had just shaken up and taken the top off of went all over my interior), and that my post workout meal would then be delayed about 2 hours…yea, besides all of that to piss me off, my body feels like shit.

day of, i was pissed, needed a new bumper, and a creatine bomb exploded in my car. now, i just feel “bad”. the day after was supposed to be my back day, but my lower/mid back was strangely sore, and the backsides of my shoulders, kinda deep into the rear delts (rotator cuffs!?)…so, i did what i thought was the smart thing and just took the day off from the gym.

the next day, felt the same, so i did the same…well its now 4 days after the accident, and i figured i would give the gym a go, because my lower back, which was the most sore, was feeling better.

i thought maybe it would be a good idea to do a HIT style structure, seeing as i missed a few days, and really just wanted to get in and get the whole body back working and moving. i was using moderately heavy weights, but not going to failure, probably going a couple reps from failure on everything.

leg curl
leg extension
leg press
pullover machine
bench press
BAM! start feeling like shit
t-bar row old school with the bar shoved into a corner
BAM! feel like shit
OH dumbell press
THATS it! going home!

my left hip muscles tightened up on me during the OH’s, and shoulder joints and elbow joints started feeling like shit. now in general i just feel like shit, felt like ive gotten my ass kicked/ hit by a truck. this sucks! and its depressing.

im too impatient to sit in an emergency room all day, so im taking some advil or such and hitting the bed, in hopes that ill at least not feel like crying from the frustration when i wake up. i cant stand this, i love lifting, and even though my body isnt where id like it to be, i live for the persuit…it just sucks. i plan on taking today and tomorrow to rest as well as i can, monday if im still feeling like shit im going to see the doc.

Just wanted to post because of how bad emotionally and physically this is making me feel, and im sure others have been in similar situations.

Some of the soreness could be from all the stress you’ve been going through after the accident.

Your body might also need a rest for a while, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Have you taken a “back-off” week (or few days at least) in a while?

I’m sure it’s just a minor set back and you’ll be back to 100% in no time, as long as you let your body heal.

T-Nation is not the place. suck it up

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
I was in a car accident last week, someone slammed into me from behind while i was stopped at a stop sign. besides the fact that i had made the switch from honda to lexus about two months ago, and that i had just left the gym (which means the creatine that i had just shaken up and taken the top off of went all over my interior), and that my post workout meal would then be delayed about 2 hours…yea, besides all of that to piss me off, my body feels like shit.

day of, i was pissed, needed a new bumper, and a creatine bomb exploded in my car. now, i just feel “bad”. the day after was supposed to be my back day, but my lower/mid back was strangely sore, and the backsides of my shoulders, kinda deep into the rear delts (rotator cuffs!?)…so, i did what i thought was the smart thing and just took the day off from the gym.

the next day, felt the same, so i did the same…well its now 4 days after the accident, and i figured i would give the gym a go, because my lower back, which was the most sore, was feeling better.

i thought maybe it would be a good idea to do a HIT style structure, seeing as i missed a few days, and really just wanted to get in and get the whole body back working and moving. i was using moderately heavy weights, but not going to failure, probably going a couple reps from failure on everything.

leg curl
leg extension
leg press
pullover machine
bench press
BAM! feel like shit
OH dumbell press
THATS it! going home!

my left hip muscles tightened up on me during the OH’s, and shoulder joints and elbow joints started feeling like shit. now in general i just feel like shit, felt like ive gotten my ass kicked/ hit by a truck. this sucks! and its depressing.

im too impatient to sit in an emergency room all day, so im taking some advil or such and hitting the bed, in hopes that ill at least not feel like crying from the frustration when i wake up. i cant stand this, i love lifting, and even though my body isnt where id like it to be, i live for the persuit…it just sucks. i plan on taking today and tomorrow to rest as well as i can, monday if im still feeling like shit im going to see the doc.

Just wanted to post because of how bad emotionally and physically this is making me feel, and im sure others have been in similar situations.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your accident. I think it’s time to take some time off and relax. And while relaxing count your blessings, you could have been injured far worse.

No?

Not to sound heartless, but whenever I feel like that I just have to take a step back and look around me…there are much worse things in life than what you are going through right now, the situation sucks, but at the same time you are better off than a whole lot of others right now, so take a minute to be thankful for what you do have.

[quote]allNatural wrote:
T-Nation is not the place. suck it up[/quote]

Way to be a prick.

The least you could have said was you hoped he feels better soon so he can get back to lifting.

To the OP… Just take time off like others have mentioned. I’d also suggest going to a doctor and perhaps getting insurance to maybe help you with some PT or ART if you need something like that.

Good luck with it.

thanks for replies people.

i do try to be thankful, believe me, im not one to take things for granted. it just sucks because over the past year or so ive basically had to get rid of all of my “friends” for reasons i wont get into. a month ago my brother moved to florida, and he and his/our friends were all i had left. the past month or so has been really hard, i just feel very alone, and the gym is pretty much the thing that keeps me going, the thing that gets me excited each day, etc. the gym is essentially the only “friend” that i have right now, until next semester starts and i can find some kids in my classes or whatever. it just sucks.

but, i just posted that more or less to clear my head, vent a little. we all know the sadness that exists in the world, there are people literally starving to death, dying of horrid diseases, being brutally murdered, raped, tortured, etc throughout the world. statistics aside, its enough to say that each breath you take each and every day of your life, at that moment, there are others that are less fortunate than you are simply because you can breath that easily, or because you can breath at all.

i doubt many of us give thanks each breath we take through out the day, and id bet a fair number of us still get upset if we get a speeding ticket or get in a stupid fight with a girlfriend or whatever, these things that are essentially miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

its cool though, im down, but im certainly not out. in fact, just after i made my original post, i was lying on my bed feeling sorry for myself, hurting, with no appetite, etc., and i just said “fuck this, im tougher than this bullshit” and i went and had a king’s feast. now ive got a full belly, so at least my muscles are fed. and now im pissed off at this pain, and im about to teach it a fucking lesson.

dez,

I hope everything improves for you. We’ve all had these absolute shit moments, but it always gets better. Thinking about it, it’s the times that I’ve moved after going through the crap that’s made me a better person.

I wish you the best of luck. As soon as the semester starts again, I’m sorry everything will dramatically improve.

Jeff

Dude, I’ve gotten hit twice before. Doesnt it suck when you’re driving like a sane person and get hit? Then about 2 more times I’ve almost gotten hit. One almost hit was when this guy was doing a illegal u-turn in the middle of the street behind a driving truck so he couldnt see the oncoming traffic. What a moron. Most of the time I get the stare of “what in the world are you doing?” as if its my fault somehow.

Everytime they didnt want to admit fault and warred it out until the end. You would think a police report backing up their fault would speed things through. Anyhow. I hope you have better luck. I’m still waiting to claim on one. Thank God I’ve been in a rental car each time.

thanks guys.

Dude, I feel your pain. That sucks. I really hope you feel better.

I know a lot of ppl think chiropractors are quacks, but I’m telling you, if I hadn’t been open-minded enough to just try it a few times, I’d never have known there was relief for the pain I had. After my car accident I could barely stand longer than 15-20 minutes and I had to move very very slowly. Dinners out became a regular thing because at least I could just sit down and have someone else prepare and bring me my food. I hired housekeepers a couple times a week, too, because dealing w/ housework was physically painful. It took me months to get back on track.

The kids needed a therapy session, too, because they were having nightmares about the accident and my son still complains of headaches over a year and a half later. (They love our chiropractor!) Babysitters for the kids were a great help, too, especially w/ an autistic son. There’s no way I could have handled him by myself, let alone both kids.

Anyway, that’s not there just to make you feel like crap or like others have it harder or better or different. It’s just commiseration.

Get to a chiropractor, try it a few times, you won’t regret it.

Use baking soda to absorb the stink in the car and then vnegar as a carpet cleaner for that creatine.

Feel better, man. And it’s ok to cry. (Just don’t tell anyone! lol!)

~ C :slight_smile:

oh dont worry, i got out and scrubbed the carpets and wiped everything down as soon as i got home. that son of a bitch is buying me a new bumper though!

thanks for the kind words everyone. i appreciate the support.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
oh dont worry, i got out and scrubbed the carpets and wiped everything down as soon as i got home. that son of a bitch is buying me a new bumper though!

thanks for the kind words everyone. i appreciate the support.[/quote]

Every day when you’re feeling really tense, just take 10-20 mins to sit down or lay down somewhere comfortable, be able to breathe, and just relax, letting everything flow as you breathe and let all your stress out. I

f you do this everyday you’ll feel a ton better already. Many people just have way too much damn stress in thier lives where it causes them problems.

Just make sure you don’t hurt yourself worse, trying to train though pain and stuff.

Good luck man, hope you feel better soon. I was rear ended a few years ago after having my new toyota matrix for only 3 weeks! I too went through the same thing, but for me it was mainly just the mental stress. I had to go to the gym just to blow off steam for a good week, but it still lingered in the back of my mind every time I drove.

I do think you should see a Dr. if your pain is staying the same, you might have been injured and not realize it. It all depends on how hard you were hit, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted on your recovery.

~V

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Not to sound heartless, but whenever I feel like that I just have to take a step back and look around me…there are much worse things in life than what you are going through right now, the situation sucks, but at the same time you are better off than a whole lot of others right now, so take a minute to be thankful for what you do have.[/quote]

That’s practically my damn motto, man. Anytime I feel like whining about my arm healing funny I think about how much use of it I DO have and how much worse it could have been. Wai, what I usually say is “Things are never so bad that they can’t get a lot worse.” I have yet to come upon the situation that disproves this. Things will be cool, dez. Always look up.

Man, I am right there with you. I have been in physical therapy for a problem in my neck for the past month. This past Wednesday was supposed to be my last day of therapy. So last Saturday I am leaving a club waiting in a line of cars to turn, when some dude slams into my car from behind. Luckily I had my seatbelt on, but he smashed my car up pretty good, my collarbone hurts from the seatbelt, and the next day I woke up with a bad headache and neck pains. Long story short, I’ll be in PT another month, and I am driving around a smashed up car because his insurance company is taking their sweet time processing my claim. On top of that, I couldn’t work out all this week because I was too sore from the accident.I feel your pain.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:

leg curl
leg extension
leg press
pullover machine
bench press
BAM! feel like shit
OH dumbell press
THATS it! going home!

Just wanted to post because of how bad emotionally and physically this is making me feel, and im sure others have been in similar situations.[/quote]

I’d be upset too if someone hit my car from behind and I snapped my neck and couldn’t move my limbs anymore

no, wait, there’s hardly anything wrong with you

GET OVER IT

it could have been so much worse

you should be grateful it wasn’t

you shouldn’t open creatine in the car WHILST DRIVING

you should look in your read mirror to see if someone is going to hit you and you should leave space ahead to have some hope of softening the blow

medically you should get taken a look at and checked out just incase and you should stop the weights for a bit and do something else for rehab for a week perhaps, but get the checkup

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
I would go and see a GOOD chiro, ie one that understands the importance of lifting and exercise and who doesn’t go all crosseyed when you mention creatine, lol. [/quote]

Absolutely. Our chiro is actually a member of the same gym as us and he would talk supplements any day of the week.

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
Our chiro is actually a member of the same gym as us and he would talk supplements any day of the week.

[/quote]

Well my doctor tells me the dangers of creatine almost everytime I go in there, but for some reason I think you dont mean it in that way.