T Nation

I Just Tore a Rhomboid

So I go to lift. I’ve been having this annoying ass feeling in my right upper back for a couple of days now, which is odd since I took a week off and only trained legs. Yesterday I trained legs again. Today arms. I do a couple sets of curls to warm up. My upper right back starts flaring up. Then I decide to stretch it.

I grab one of those stationary handle things with my right arm, rotate my body, and pull. Then I hear this fucking “pop” sound. 5 seconds later I cant move my arms or breathe.

Rush home. Luckily, both my parents are doctors (I’m 17). Apparently, I tore my fucking rhomboid or some other spinal erector muscle. Honestly, I don’t even konw. I have to get an MRI tomorow. I can’t even lie down without severe pain. Hell, I can’t even take deep breaths. What the fuck am I supposed to do? How long will I be out for? For the love of God, someone please give me some valid advice.

To be honest I would ask your parents if they know how long an injury like this might take to heal. Their opinion may be more valid than many on here.

Sorry to hear about this though. I hope you get better soon because I’ve had injuries before that have sidelined me for a few weeks and they are tough to deal with when we all love training so much. Wait till your MRI and visit tomorrow before you hit the panic button. Best of luck to you.

They said it might take six weeks to heal. Six fucking weeks! Honestly, I might just kill myself.

Hmm, I strained my rhomboid pretty bad doing curls also. Funny thing was i did DB Rows, Chins, Cable Rows, and shrugs with no pain at all, then a friggin curl warmup (only about 40 lbs) is what hurts me.

Hey its only 6 weeks, not too bad in the long run of things, - and at least its not the bones in your back.

Your lucky it’s only 6 weeks. Chill out. It’s not the end of the world.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Your lucky it’s only 6 weeks. Chill out. It’s not the end of the world. [/quote]

In retrospect, I will realize that. But right now, it seems like a really big deal.

[quote]The Greek wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Your lucky it’s only 6 weeks. Chill out. It’s not the end of the world.

In retrospect, I will realize that. But right now, it seems like a really big deal. [/quote]

So, just like you did before, take a deep breath, and re-realize that it’s not.

[quote]The Greek wrote:
They said it might take six weeks to heal. Six fucking weeks! Honestly, I might just kill myself. [/quote]

6 weeks is NOTHING.

If your in it for the long run…your going to get an injury here and there along the way. How you deal with them will be critical. Don’t rush your re-hab-do it right.

6 weeks sucks, man, I know how you feel… I’ve got to have my right RC surgically repaired, and it will be 6 MONTHS before I’m released to work out fully… :frowning: I guess the bright side is that it can be a mental rest and recharge.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
The Greek wrote:
They said it might take six weeks to heal. Six fucking weeks! Honestly, I might just kill myself.

6 weeks is NOTHING. [/quote]

Agreed. There are some people on this site taking entire YEARS off from serious lifting due to feeling ‘burning’ in their shoulders. Now that’s fucked up.

What kind of doctors are your parents? Do they think it is a complete tear, partial, or just a bad strain?

It is pretty difficult to completely tear a rhomboid muscle belly due to all of the surrounding and supporting musculature. Those larger surrounding muscles will generally fire in to protect the body before it would tear. Not saying it couldn’t happen, but it isn’t a highly occurring situation.

I’d wait until the MRI came back if you are that worried. If it comes back negative, I’d recommend seeing a chiropractor. From what you described happening, it sounds like a rib may have come out of place and several sessions with a chiro, along with proper rehab, can solve that problem.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

-LH

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
The Greek wrote:

6 weeks is NOTHING.

Agreed. There are some people on this site taking entire YEARS off from serious lifting due to feeling ‘burning’ in their shoulders. Now that’s fucked up.[/quote]

Guess people have a hard time reading lately.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I’ve calmed down a bit since yesterday. Hopefully, I’ll heal nicely and be back at it again in no time.

YOu’re referring to that dude who has been actively canvassing for an invitation to T-Cell Alpha with a sudden series of “hardcore” posts, I assume.

I forgot the dude’s name though.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
The Greek wrote:

6 weeks is NOTHING.

Agreed. There are some people on this site taking entire YEARS off from serious lifting due to feeling ‘burning’ in their shoulders. Now that’s fucked up.[/quote]