I Just Met My First Pro

Part of this might be health considerations, maybe after being competitive alot of these guys opt for fitness in retirement to combat any ill effects that the incredible mass had on their body.

Or it could have been their Mini-Me

I met Mike Mentzer back in '79. I had never seen calves so monstrous!

I also met Arnold, Ed Corney, Frank Zane, Boyer Coe and a few others at the same event.

Many years later, I saw Greg DeFerro (sp) at a local mall shopping with his girlfriend or wife. lol

I remember eating at the firehouse restaurant when I first moved to LA years ago. I sat next to Gary Strydom. While he was obviously enormous, he was mostly covered up except for the watermellons that passed for his calves. It was the most insane thing I have ever seen.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I remember eating at the firehouse restaurant when I first moved to LA years ago. I sat next to Gary Strydom. While he was obviously enormous, he was mostly covered up except for the watermellons that passed for his calves. It was the most insane thing I have ever seen.

S
[/quote]

I wish I had watermelons for calves.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

I wish I had watermelons for calves.[/quote]

I’d settle for cantaloupes .

Man, I thought this was going to be about hookers!

hmm… Do calves catabolize (dunno if its a real word, i think u understand what i mean) slower then everything else, even after gear?

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
hmm… Do calves catabolize (dunno if its a real word, i think u understand what i mean) slower then everything else, even after gear?[/quote]

From what I can gather calves seem to be the most “genetic” muscle out there. Many people find them difficult to add size to while other(myself included) have big calves without training them. I’ve had 18-18.5 inch calves since I was 155 pounds, no joke, and I never train them for this reason. My arms on the other hand are were 13 inches and I’ve killed for the 2 inches I put on them.

hmnnn I would guess that while most people have trouble actually building them, maintaining them might be a bit easier. Look at some really fat, or formerly fat guys. Check those calves! Even when they slim down, the calves stay their former size (or close to it).

I have absolutely no evidence to back this up other than watching fat people waddle down the street and thinking 'damn, maybe I should get really fat and my calves would grow"

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:I have absolutely no evidence to back this up other than watching fat people waddle down the street and thinking 'damn, maybe I should get really fat and my calves would grow"

S
[/quote]

I think Lee Priest applies this thinking for his whole body in the off-season. lol

Anyone know ronnie coleman’s calve size? he gets pretty heavy in off season and on stage. 300+ lb off season i think

[quote]Protoculture wrote:
Magnate wrote:

Holy shit, didn’t even recognize him.

Seeing Paul has made me wonder which other pros have slimmed down considerably after their competitive years. Here is one of Kevin in 2007. I always knew that he lost a lot of size in the off season, but I’m sure he hasn’t weighed this little in years.

[/quote]

If it hasn’t already been said, Levrone lost a lot of size in an attempt to get into acting. No idea how that is panning out for him however.

Edit: Apparently it’s been said.

Did you ask him about the queer thing?

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Man, I thought this was going to be about hookers![/quote]

Bravo

Wait wait wait.

Is this a thread about bodybuilders on T-Nation!

It cant be.

On topic- Levrone is a mutant. The guy is not human. What he looks like now is probably not too far off from what he looked like in the off season when he was competing as it was common place for him to gain 30-40 lbs leading up to a contest. Thats right, gain 30-40 lbs.

Iv seen pictures of Ronnie since his retirement and he has lost some mass (hes still big enough to hand people’s asses to them in masters shows if he so desired) but he looks much younger and more comfortable at 240 than he did at 280.

post pics?