T Nation

I Just Met My First Pro

Jay Cutler was here in Toronto tonight. I’ve never ever been to any bodybuilding show in my life, but today I met Mr. Olympia and it was a fantastic experiance. Though, he’s not my favourite body builder, it was still amazing to see how big these guys really are up close.

Wow.

I had to post this somewhere :stuck_out_tongue:

Where was he that you got to meet him? Was it a promotional event?

[quote]joeab wrote:
Where was he that you got to meet him? Was it a promotional event?[/quote]

It was at a seminar / guest posing.

It was super fun actually.
Got my pic with him and everything.
I’ve never felt so small in my life.

Very cool. I remember meeting Mike Francious many years ago (my first pro). It was at a local amateur show. No one particualrly cared that he was there (sitting by a table in the back of an auditorium while the show went on). I had only been training a few years, and had read way too many contradictory theories on training, nutrition, you name it.

I literally assaulted him with so many stupid questions over the course of the show… and he was damn cool about it, answering everything as best he could. Really polite, soft spoken, and in case it needs to be said… freaking humongous! Really made an impact on me. My younger brother who was with me, and I then went out and each ate 3 hamburgers at a dinner (Mike said we weren’t eating enough -lol).

The best advice he gave though, and it’s been in the back of my mind since…

“If you want to be cut at 200 lbs, you’re going to need to get a little soft at 240”. I think a lot of younger guys need someone to tell them this, fear of losing your abs hinders a lot of potential gains, I know I was terrified of getting fat (was a pudgy kid).

Anyway, since then, I’ve met Cutler, Priest, chatted with Victor martinez at an NPC show last year. Most pros are pretty cool. It’s usually the ones who aren’t at the top of the game that have attitudes.

You should post the pic of you and Jay.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Very cool. I remember meeting Mike Francious many years ago (my first pro). It was at a local amateur show. No one particualrly cared that he was there (sitting by a table in the back of an auditorium while the show went on). I had only been training a few years, and had read way too many contradictory theories on training, nutrition, you name it. I literally assaulted him with so many stupid questions over the course of the show… and he was damn cool about it, answering everything as best he could. Really polite, soft spoken, and in case it needs to be said… freaking humongous! Really made an impact on me. My younger brother who was with me, and I then went out and each ate 3 hamburgers at a dinner (Mike said we weren’t eating enough -lol).

The best advice he gave though, and it’s been in the back of my mind since…

“If you want to be cut at 200 lbs, you’re going to need to get a little soft at 240”. I think a lot of younger guys need someone to tell them this, fear of losing your abs hinders a lot of potential gains, I know I was terrified of getting fat (was a pudgy kid).

Anyway, since then, I’ve met Cutler, Priest, chatted with Victor martinez at an NPC show last year. Most pros are pretty cool. It’s usually the ones who aren’t at the top of the game that have attitudes.

You should post the pic of you and Jay.

S
[/quote]

I’m 6’4’’ but I felt 4’10’’
and it was amazing :smiley:


I also met Paul Dillet

[quote]Rattler wrote:
I also met Paul Dillet

[/quote]

Wow. Can’t see much, but looks like Paul Dillet is off season, permanently.

Gotta say, Jay Looks pretty f*cking short -lol

Dillet looks… well, it’s just so odd seeing him like that after reading the muscle rags since 93 or so…

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Gotta say, Jay Looks pretty f*cking short -lol

Dillet looks… well, it’s just so odd seeing him like that after reading the muscle rags since 93 or so…

S
[/quote]

I didn’t even know it was him. My buddy hits me and goes, “Dude, it’s fuckin Paul Dillet!”

So we both got our pics with him.
Sucks that these Canadians keep having problems with their careers though. I’d love to see the red and white on the front stage one day.

[quote]Rattler wrote:
I also met Paul Dillet

[/quote]

Holy crap.

I think you only met half of him.

[quote]Rattler wrote:
I also met Paul Dillet

[/quote]

You can’t imagine how much that picture has shocked me.

I remember when he was one of the “MASS MONSTERS” of his day.

Even Dorian has slimmed down considerably, but still no where near as much as Paul.

I guess they just get burnt out from competing at that level for so long.

[quote]Protoculture wrote:
Rattler wrote:
I also met Paul Dillet

You can’t imagine how much that picture has shocked me.

I remember when he was one of the “MASS MONSTERS” of his day.

Even Dorian has slimmed down considerably, but still no where near as much as Paul.

I guess they just get burnt out from competing at that level for so long.

[/quote]

I think Dillet had some legal issues as well.

Dorian still looks like he trains though. I’d guess he’s still 200+ lbs, and in some recent mag, I saw a shot of his abs, and he’s still looking like he’s made of stone (although you can see that his obliques shrank up, obviously he doesnt need to do 400 lb rows anymore).

S

[quote]Rattler wrote:
I also met Paul Dillet

[/quote]

Holy shit, didn’t even recognize him.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Protoculture wrote:
Rattler wrote:
I also met Paul Dillet

You can’t imagine how much that picture has shocked me.

I remember when he was one of the “MASS MONSTERS” of his day.

Even Dorian has slimmed down considerably, but still no where near as much as Paul.

I guess they just get burnt out from competing at that level for so long.

I think Dillet had some legal issues as well. [/quote]

With 'roids?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Magnate wrote:

Holy shit, didn’t even recognize him.[/quote]

Seeing Paul has made me wonder which other pros have slimmed down considerably after their competitive years. Here is one of Kevin in 2007. I always knew that he lost a lot of size in the off season, but I’m sure he hasn’t weighed this little in years.

[quote]Protoculture wrote:
Magnate wrote:

Holy shit, didn’t even recognize him.

Seeing Paul has made me wonder which other pros have slimmed down considerably after their competitive years. Here is one of Kevin in 2007. I always knew that he lost a lot of size in the off season, but I’m sure he hasn’t weighed this little in years.

[/quote]

Well, to stay that big and all is an epic task and after years and years of doing it I’m sure it wears you down. I doubt most of these guys will every truely stop training, but there isn’t really a point of being on the same scale anymore.

I met Dillet back in 02 I think, in a mall in Oshawa Ontario, I remember him being MUCH bigger than that.

That pic of Levrone is crazy.

[quote]Protoculture wrote:
Magnate wrote:

Holy shit, didn’t even recognize him.

Seeing Paul has made me wonder which other pros have slimmed down considerably after their competitive years. Here is one of Kevin in 2007. I always knew that he lost a lot of size in the off season, but I’m sure he hasn’t weighed this little in years.

[/quote]

Levrone did that on purpose to pursue acting (he has a bit part in the movie Red Line).