I Just Joined the YMCA! Now What????

Hey whats up! I just joind the YMCA and I want to start working out reaally seriousely. I want to go every day but I dont know how to start. Im thinking about doing weights one day and Cardio the next and so on… do you think this is a good idea? Right now I am 5’11 and I weigh 193 pounds and I got no muscle its basically just fat… Im not fat though im just chubby… and Im 18 years old… how long untill i will see results if I stay commited and eat healthy and everything?

Hey man, welcome to the site, start reading stuff…

Please list your goals.

I.E. Do you want to compete in powerlifting? Bodybuilding? Fitness? Triathlons? Strongman? Bench 400lbs, and squat 600? Please define your goals. I started lifting seriously a year ago, but I am still learning. My number one reccomendation is learn how to deadlift, back squat, front squat, and row. Throw in brench press, military press and pull-ups and you have a foundation for fitness. Look up “Total Body Training” by Chad Waterbury don’t worry about running just yet, if you want cardio try complexes or sprints they will have a huge postitive impact on your metabolism. That means you can get leaner while eating more food. Also buy the product Surge in the T-Nation store. Post workout nutrition is vital to making gains in body compostion.

ymca huh? thats where i train, it sucks. My advice, cancel ur membership and look for a real gym.

What to do next? Hhhmmmm. I would say watch out for the cop, the indian and the construction worker. You also might want to be suspicious of the dude in short cutoff shorts always asking you if you need a spot on the bench.

What ever you do dont quit.Keep going you can workout the details later.75% of people who join a gym quit in 2 months,if you avoid being one of them the rest will work its self out.Lift /cardio is a fine start.

First off, to answer your question about how long it will take for you to see results… you need to throw those words out the window. Just hit it hard and stick with it, it will come with time. Do not be impatient.

While most people here will say “READ” you might find yourself a little overwhelmed jumping into this site’s information headfirst. You will also find an EXTREMELY large amount of conflicting idea’s, but don’t let that discourage you. Stick to the articles for beginners.

You seem very enthused about changing your lifestyle, and thats what it’s all about. Not lifting for 2 months and stopping, but making the fitness lifestyle part of your everyday routine. I have found that there are two types of people, the ones that make the change, and the ones that don’t lol it’s as simple as that. You will either fall in love with it, or you wont.

1. Decide on what your goals are.
  2. Find a program that will help you meet those goals.
  3. If your going to be serious, you need to allocate time for not only the gym, but food preparation as well.
  4. Find a diet that works with the program and your goals.
  5. Get in the gym and stick with it!!!

I suggest you absorb the basics about nutrition and training, I say both because one without the other is nothing. You have come to the place where some of the best knowledge on the subject of building a better body is shared, so use it!!!

[quote]Tallguyy76 wrote:
What to do next? Hhhmmmm. I would say watch out for the cop, the indian and the construction worker. You also might want to be suspicious of the dude in short cutoff shorts always asking you if you need a spot on the bench. [/quote]

LOL! If he asks if you need a spot for squats… run

[quote]vroom wrote:
Hey man, welcome to the site, start reading stuff…[/quote]

Start with Vroom’s beginner thread. If you’re 5,11/190 and just “chubby” you might have a bit more foundation under there than you realize. Just please don’t say you wanna see your abs by thanksgiving day, I’ll give ya money ;-]

i suggest reading Waterbury’s articles.

Start with Big Boy Basics
Move on to ABBH
Then try the Waterbury Method.

Good stuff.

I’m 9 weeks into Thib’s Mutation Series and am loving the progress so far. I recommend it.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459214

Hey thanks for all the advice you guys it really really meens a lot to me becouse the people I know are all the exact oppposite of you guys… but my goals are not to be cut up and all that stuff, right now i just want some defenition…

i think i am going to be pretty good at eating healthy but I have a question about it… With my sheduale i would have to eat diner for lunch and lunch for diner is that ok?

[quote]MakeMoney101 wrote:
Hey thanks for all the advice you guys it really really meens a lot to me becouse the people I know are all the exact oppposite of you guys… but my goals are not to be cut up and all that stuff, right now i just want some defenition…

i think i am going to be pretty good at eating healthy but I have a question about it… With my sheduale i would have to eat diner for lunch and lunch for diner is that ok?[/quote]

HA! Lunch and dinner are just 2 of the 6-8 meals you will be eating a day.

Read: 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Plans.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

And buy some food storage countainers.

i think i am going to be pretty good at eating healthy but I have a question about it… With my sheduale i would have to eat diner for lunch and lunch for diner is that ok?[/quote]

Good start. Just so you know, definition comes with BOTH eating clean food and hard/smart training. This includes hitting heavy compound lifts with good form and doing some sort of cardio.

you have to have muscle in the first place to have defined muscles. So worry about just eating clean and doing your workouts consistently. Don’t measure by the scale too much (at least as you start training), as that will lead you into the false assumption that nothing is happening. The rest will come with time.

eating lunch for dinner and dinner for lunch is fine, as long as you don’t skip meals. Try to get 5-6 meals in a day. Bring nuts, trail mix, fruit, whatever with you when you’re going to be gone, that way you won’t be missing food AND the food you get will be healthy.

as a fellow new lifter(6 months) , my advice would be to learn strict form . not good form , not sloppy form…STRICT FORM .

you will see many lifters at a YMCA gym bouncing the bar off thier chests…thats garbage . you will see 1 or 2 guys that lower the bar slowly to thier chests , then explode it back up only after the bar comes to a complete stop . thats the guy you want to study .

you will see lifters whose asses and legs are flying all over the gym as they push an over-loaded bar up…more garbage . you will see 1 or 2 lifters whose entire body remains still , except for thier arms and shoulders (and the bar of course) .again , thats the guy to watch .

if possible , when learning to squat , have an experienced lifter show you this movement…preferably even lifting with him (or her) on a regular basis . you’ll have to figure out who to trust with this one . the squat is the lift from Hell . you learn a bit about yourself when stepping under that bar . but learn it wrong and you’re fucked ; bad habits are hard to break .

lifting with a partner is good to , if possible .

and dont do curls in the freakin’ power rack when the gym is busy .

Yeah I have been reading some articles about how good form is really important and I will definetly try to keep my form as good as possible… I was just thinking I am 18 years old and 5’11 is there a possibility i might stunt my growth or something?

Yeah I have been reading some articles about how good form is really important and I will definetly try to keep my form as good as possible… I was just thinking I am 18 years old and 5’11 is there a possibility i might stunt my growth or something? [/quote]

no

oh yeah…

go to Youtube and do a search on “Wieghtlifting Accidents” .

this is the shit you should avoid

Yeah I have been reading some articles about how good form is really important and I will definetly try to keep my form as good as possible… I was just thinking I am 18 years old and 5’11 is there a possibility i might stunt my growth or something? [/quote]

oh my god…I wish I found T-Nation 10 years ago when I was 18. The only thing that will stunt your growth is NOT working out (like I did). You don’t know how lucky you are kid =)

-DT

Hey whats up! I just joind the YMCA and I want to start working out reaally seriousely. I want to go every day but I dont know how to start. Im thinking about doing weights one day and Cardio the next and so on… do you think this is a good idea? Right now I am 5’11 and I weigh 193 pounds and I got no muscle its basically just fat… Im not fat though im just chubby… and Im 18 years old… how long untill i will see results if I stay commited and eat healthy and everything?[/quote]

You gained 13lbs of fat in 6 months. Whatever you have been doing stop doing it and do the opposite.

How long will it take? A long damn time to be brutally honest. Don’t go into with an end goal in mind- realize that for a truly healthy and fit physique it takes a lifetime of dedication. You get that down and the rest is easy.