I Just Gotta Know!

Weed has been very good to me as a recreational substance. “Recreational” meaning that it never overlaps with work or any other responsibility I have. Some people enjoy beers after work, some enjoy weed. They’re both a means to unwind.

I think weed should be legalized, absolutely, but I don’t think its harmless. Sitting around smoking up all day can very easily fuck up your life. No, you wont overdose and your brain wont explode, but you may very well lose a lot of the ambition needed to progress in life. Most of the guys I knew in high school who were “chronic” are now scrubbing human feces from porcelain bowls.

Weed and alcohol are held to different standards. If a guy sat around, pounding back shots of Jack Daniels on a daily basis for months, you’d call him a full-blown alcoholic, but replace the alcohol with weed and a lot of people would think its cool. They’re both drugs that can be used responsibly or abused.

(I’ll note that there are of course outliers to any stereotype…one of my roommates in University smoked like an absolute fiend, literally HOURLY, and is now an extremely successful environmental engineer)

Marijuana has been around since like the 1500’s and was first used in China as a pain reliever and euphoria inducing substance. Smoking pot is not bad for you excluding a few things. It has been shown to reduce the risk of lung cancer. I think it has also been shown to increase the risk of testicular cancer by about 1%. For those of you who say inhaling smoke is bad for you, use a vaporizer or make some brownies.

Used recreationally it is fun to do and relax with your friends. Marijuana was only made illegal because the government couldn’t make money off of it because anyone could grow it. THC is naturally produced by your body anyways so you could naturally get high if you could get your body to produce enough. No one has ever OD’ed on marijuana nor died from it. If marijuana is so bad then why are scientists looking to take things from it to make new drugs?

Also remember that cocaine used to be in cocacola and used to be regularly given to children for toothaches. Along with opium and other drugs. Marijuana is one of the least harmful drugs if treated and done properly. I don’t intend to pressure anyone to do anything they don’t want to do, but know your facts before you post and bash people who do it. Remember, knowledge is power!

PS-I saw something a while back that really hit home. Not all people who smoke pot are drugged out hippies, some of us smoke and go to work, take care of household chores, workout and tons of other things. And it is definitely not a gateway drug.

Tried it once with a friend. It was fun, we got the munchies and drove to Whataburger (soo… slowwwww…) and I scarfed down about $17 of food.

It didn’t fit though. My train of thoughts weren’t making logical sense to me, and this struck me as uncomfortable. Not something I have or intend to do again.

I post a lot of stupid shit on the internet when I smoke. After getting banned from half the sites on the internet I made a rule that I wouldn’t post while high anymore, but then I ended up breaking the rule the next time I smoked. So now I’m banned from three quarters of the sites on the internet.

I’ve done my share of bad things. I’m around 25 now, and there’s been no ill effects from what I used to do.

Enjoy it while you’re young.

[quote]swirly wrote:
Marijuana has been around since like the 1500’s and was first used in China as a pain reliever and euphoria inducing substance.[/quote]

The 1500s?

More like 7000 BC.

The ancient Egyptians, Assyrians, Scythians, Romans, and Greeks (who gave the plant its scientific name, cannabis) were all big old pot-heads, along with the Chinese and Indians (who gave the plant its Rasta name, ganja). If you’re looking for historical precedent, you’ve got basically all of recorded history.

Every one of the major religions in the world, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, an Islam, has used some form of cannabis in sacraments and rituals. Cannabis is approved by every god in the pantheon.

There is no conclusive evidence indicating that consumption of cannabis causes physiological or psychological damage, and indeed its therapeutic uses are well documented in both ancient and modern medicine. 4 out of 5 doctors recommend medical marijuana for their patients who smoke marijuana.

Cannabis is illegal in the United States today largely because of the efforts of three men: William Randolph Hearst, the newspaper magnate; Lamont Dupont, the chemical magnate, and Harry Anslinger, commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (what is now the DEA).

Hearst and Dupont wanted to ban cannabis for commercial reasons. The fact that the plant may be used to make paper (indeed, Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence on hemp paper), rope, plastic, and textiles caused discomfort for Hearst, who wanted no competition for his wood-pulp paper production, and for Dupont, who wanted no competition for his company’s wonder-fibers like nylon and polyester.

Anslinger’s objection to cannabis was entirely for moral and public safety reasons, to wit:

“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.”

“Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”

“Marijuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing.”

Harry seemed oblivious to the obvious contradiction of the last two quotes, and was just as oblivious of the reams of documentation from the medical and law enforcement communities which contradicted the claims he made in the other quotes.

No matter. Harry pled his case in a congressional hearing, backed up by Hearst and Dupont, and marijuana was banned, in the name of profits from deforestation, proliferation of petroleum-based synthetics, and demonstrably false and racially-motivated propaganda.

Now, if this hasn’t convinced you to imbibe a bit of the magical herb, then nothing will.

Without reading through the myriad responses yet, I’ll give you an honest answer…

I smoked weed from the age 12 or 13 till I was 17 (and I got a girlfriend who told me to knock it off). The last couple years I was in a constant cloud of smoke. My junior year went like this:

My buddy Dan picked me and another guy up for school. We fish-bowled the car and drove around (or parked) until first bell (homeroom).

After homeroom, we’d meet up and do some bat hits before first class.

At lunch, we’d sneak out to the perimeter and smoke a couple bowls.

On the way home, we’d fishbowl the car again.

Then we’d go to my buddy Dave’s house, eat everything in his fridge, smoke weed and play video games or whatever until dinner time. We’d go to our respective homes, eat dinner (how my folks never picked up on it is beyond me) and then meet back up and hang out/smoke some more.

During the summer, there was no school to slow us down.

Anyways…
I’m 33 now.

Let’s see, I like to consider myself an intelligent guy, but in high school my grades sucked because I just didn’t give a fuck. Is that the weed’s fault? Mmm… I dunno. Maybe. I do know that I practically went out of my way to be identified as a burnout. Not really sure why… maybe because I needed to fit in with some clique and they accepted me.

My grades weren’t so hot in college, either. I never really learned how to study in high school, so I ground my way through, with slightly under a B- average. Not giving a fuck also played a weighty role there.

So, now I’m 33. I still drink more than I probably ought to, although I have gotten that mostly under control, but I haven’t smoked regularly, or hardly any at all, since my then-girlfriend asked me to quit. What am I like today?

I have a hard time focusing on anything. If I make myself lists at the beginning of the day, I might make it through 3/4 of it by 5 o’clock. Otherwise, I forget most of what I need to do. People know I’m bright, but they think I’m kind of a space shot, which is fine. I still have a lot of difficulty studying (in my field, I need to constantly keep current, which is ever a challenge). I also have serious anxiety issues, narcolepsy, some other vague mental abnormalities (for lack of a better word), and I am probably the most forgetful person I know.

How much of that is genetic versus caused by breathing more THC than oxygen my junior and senior years in high school? I honestly can’t say. Maybe the weed didn’t do any of it. But, that’s where I’m at today.

FWIW, though, I still hung around a bunch of burnouts in my 20s. Not surprisingly to me, only one of them has even halfway made anything out of himself a decade later.

Take that for what it’s worth, and take care.

Bob

[quote]brauny96 wrote:
people on here really smoke alot of grass. i personally never have tried it. to the people that did it when they were younger like 16 or 17, and your like 26-27, has it affected you, cuz i reall wanna know what it does.

P.S i am neutral on the subject of mary jane, im just too scared to try it, thats why ive never smoked it[/quote]

[quote]boatguy wrote:
a law that makes criminals out of millions of Americans every year can’t be very well thought out, now can it?[/quote]

the law? nope not at all.

FWIW, I smoke cannabis; I enjoy it. It relaxes me and allows me to meditate on the deeper topics I struggle with.

Is it for everyone? No, certainly not.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
“Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage.”[/quote]

This I believe, and thank goodness for it, too!

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

FWIW, I smoke cannabis; I enjoy it. It relaxes me and allows me to meditate on the deeper topics I struggle with.

Is it for everyone? No, certainly not.[/quote]

I think that’s a good point.

Some people should not use any sort of mind- or body-altering substance, just as some people shouldn’t own a firearm, some shouldn’t hold public office, some shouldn’t delve deeper than the official story, and some really shouldn’t reproduce.

It all boils down to whether one can handle it. Some can’t.

[quote]Norwell Bob wrote:
Let’s see, I like to consider myself an intelligent guy, but in high school my grades sucked because I just didn’t give a fuck.
[/quote]

Did you not give a fuck before or after you started smoking pot? Sounds like you’re making excuses for something that was ultimately your own doing…

My grades in high school sucked because I too didn’t care – the difference between you and me though is I didn’t need to blame a plant for that.

I didn’t start smoking pot until I could afford it…well into my 20s while I was finishing my undergrad degree and my grades actually improved.

Lesson: Smoking pot make you smarter.

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
Suave323 wrote:
I’m not sure about anyone else but a friend of mine now has irritable bowel syndrome or had it for a while because of some sort of lining or something that it created in his stomach? I don’t know all of the details but he might have throat cancer now? Mind you he told me this like 2 weeks ago so I’m guessing he is fine. I am all for trying new things, but a lady i worked with said, “the smart ones won’t do it again.”

Another friend of mine said that he used to smoke a lot and then he could hardly eat anything at all unless he blazed first… so he decided to quit.

it’ll hit everyone differently. Some people develop a psychological addiction to pot, some develop asthma ect… but thats after chronic abuse. do it on occassion or in moderation and your health won’t suffer.
[/quote]

very true… he was a chronic smoker… he kept telling me that he would quit and a few days later i’d find out he went to get high. And don’t forget the social aspect of it. He kinda fell out of life for a while… actually he still has he doesn’t do anything with his real friends anymore… I can’t remember the last time we hung out with him… but it could be completely different for other people… I personally do not like smoking of any kind, despite trying it myself.

Alright, I’ll delve a little bit deeper into my side of things.

I smoked a bit in junior high and high school. I hung out with some potheads, true, but I also hung out with the football team, punks skaters and those weird kids who played Pokemon in between classes. Probably 2-4 times a month on average. Stopped cold senior year.

After high school, I decided to make tracks because the home situation was pretty shitty (financially; Moms and Pops have been nothing but great) and I didn’t want to be an unnecessary burden, not having a job and all. After bumming around a couple hemispheres (spent most of the time in Brasil) I came back to an even shittier situation.

Understand; I’ve dealt with depression/self esteem issues my whole life. I try really hard to mask it (my close friends, when told, invariably reply, “…depression? YOU?!” and then recount some story about something funny/crazy I did as “proof” that I can’t possibly be depressed) but after a while, it eats at you. My parents put me on meds but promptly took me off again when it became apparent they either made me ill or act like a passionless zombie.

So, in my early 20’s I made a friend at work. Pretty little pothead. I talked to her a little bit, she nodded sagely and said; “Man, you need some of THIS” and whipped out her piece and a bag of something dank. I have not looked back since.

When you feel like you have a gigantic hole through the middle of you, when everything in life seems meaningless and you can’t possibly imagine anyone ever loving you (even when you KNOW that’s not true); something that makes you feel better is a godsend.

I say, hail to the sticky green savior.

PS: people who say pot makes you unproductive have never gotten high at work. Whenever I have an off day my coworkers invariably walk up to me and say…“You didn’t smoke today, did you?”

About the only thing I can’t do on pot is higher math and I suck at that sober. I wouldn’t try brain surgery, obviously, but who knows? Sure as hell increases my productivity.

i heard smoking weed lowers t-levels

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
i heard smoking weed lowers t-levels[/quote]

So does drinking beer.

Do you drink beer? I do.

I also fuck women and eat red meat, which raises T-levels. So it all balances out.

A few hits after my PWO meal makes me vascular as hell. I kinda like that but it’s very short lived. Then again, I do sprinkle some NO Xplode on my pot… ohh nm

Fuck weed man.
Tequilla and vodka if you want a good time. That’s it. lol

Seriosuly if your scared/curious. Don’t try it, it’s not worth it. I think it’s over-rated, I never smoke. I’ve tried it and never got into it. Some people get this awesome thing from it, I just don’t. Plus if you like to have a sober mind then I don’t think you’ll enjoy it much. If nothing you’ll want your high to go away and then do something productive. Seriously lol.

Rasturai I agree with you on this one! “Plus if you like to have a sober mind then I don’t think you’ll enjoy it much. If nothing you’ll want your high to go away and then do something productive. Seriously lol.”

I used to smoke constantly as a freshmen in highschool and throughout highschool. I had to quit after highschool because of a job and other reasons and I’ll tell you my gains got better in the gym I got stronger, bigger… My grades got better I got on top of all my shit and life was just better. Now when I smoke it’s so infrequent it’s like everytime is my first time and after I smoke I just think wow this shit is overrated. And the feeling is changed it doesn’t calm me but get my head thinking like crazy.

I have surpassed all my freinds who smoke as far as in the weight room, school, chicks and life.

Actually, hash, sorta like marijuana, has been around for thousands of years. I remember they opened a Chinese tomb or something, last year, and they found a huge bag of mary jane in it.

Look OP, it’s safer than alcohol because it’s realistically impossible to OD from marijuana. I started smoking regularly, and I’m not going lie, it starts affecting your short term memory a little bit if you smoke everyday, but in my experience if I stop smoking for like a week my short term memory comes back.