I Just Don't Get Sore

Many of you are telling this guy to switch things up, especially based on DOMS! Why? He’s done his routine for about a month, definitely not long enough to experience the benefits of a routine. How is the guy supposed to progress if he changes things now??

OP, dont change anything. If you like the way you set things up, then keep at it and get stronger with the lifts your doing.

I think it really depends on what we are talking about with the word soreness. If you mean DOMS then this is not an indication of a ?good? workout. IMO.

If you are talking about muscle fatigue, then maybe, but again I am sure I have read in a number of places that training until muscle fatigue isn?t necessarily a good thing either.

If you are talking about injuring yourself, I don?t think this is an indication of a hard/good workout :slight_smile:

My opinion might be nonsense, I don?t know.

I read about DOMS at this webpage,

http://www.trulyhuge.com/news/tips17a.htm

?DOMS is not an indicator of whether or not you had a
“good” workout. Many people think that if they are not sore
following a workout that they wasted their time. That is
nonsense! To have a productive workout, you don’t have to
be sore for days following it.?

Same as the OP, I tend never to get sore lats, however hard I batter them in the gym. Never, never. I think it’s genetic, I’m blessed with a 50" back but the rest of me is proportionately smaller. Everyone has a gifted area, in my case, my lats. Everyone too has a cursed one, in my case, my upper arms.

Did my lats yesterday, apart from them being pumped bigger, they feel like they did the day before.

On the other hand, my legs are still bitching at me from Monday’s session…

:slight_smile:

Soreness doesn’t equal progress. Progress does. If you’re feeling stronger/better each back session, keep what you have. If not, I would suggest adding at least 4 more sets. You’re doing a split and for the back muscle group 10 sets is not a lot (probably too little).

Again, if you’re making progress (more reps/more weight etc.) next session, stick with it, it’s obviously working. If not, add more sets and doing a little stretching also wouldn’t hurt - very helpful for lat growth, too.

[quote]forbes wrote:
Many of you are telling this guy to switch things up, especially based on DOMS! Why? He’s done his routine for about a month, definitely not long enough to experience the benefits of a routine. How is the guy supposed to progress if he changes things now??

OP, dont change anything. If you like the way you set things up, then keep at it and get stronger with the lifts your doing.[/quote]

maybe I missed it, but who told him to switch it up?

for hypertrophy training you typically want to stick to 8-12 reps for 12-20 sets per week per body part.

That being said, that’s not definitive, because variety is a good thing as others mentioned. Lower reps are good for a while, as are higher reps too.

In my experience with different training partners, when your brand new, high rep sets work out better because you will be lifting a lower amount of weight and need volume.

After a while, (3 to 4 months) switch to a 5x5 type routine for 2 to 3 months.

Then start a hypertrophy workout. You will see really good results based on my experience.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
forbes wrote:

OP, dont change anything. If you like the way you set things up, then keep at it and get stronger with the lifts your doing.

maybe I missed it, but who told him to switch it up?

for hypertrophy training you typically want to stick to 8-12 reps for 12-20 sets per week per body part.

That being said, that’s not definitive, because variety is a good thing as others mentioned. Lower reps are good for a while, as are higher reps too.[/quote]

Perhaps people werent suggesting a direct routine switch, but some were suggesting to switch exercises ot rep ranges. Just stick with 1 or 2 exercises, with 1 or 2 rep ranges and get strong!

add more weight AND do more reps progressively.
If you are using the same exercises and the same reps and the same weight and the same rep tempo, why would you grow? Growth is an adaptation.