I Just Don't Get Sore

So yesterday I hit a hard and heavy back and bi’s workout. Went extra heavy, and timed my rests (60 secs) between reps, had a great muscle pump but today I’m NOT the slightest bit sore. I’m a little mad at myself because I felt like all the protein/food that I consumed yesterday was just a waste. Was it?

My workout:

Back

4x8-10 pullups (1st set warm-up)
3x8-10 Seated rows
3-8-10 One arm dumbbell row (the ones where you put your knee up on the bench and hang the dumbbell off the side.

Bi’s

3x8-10 Preacher
3x8-10 barbell curls

I’ve been training for about 5yrs (last 3 serious). I’m a bit limited to the amount of standing exercises I can do because I have a broken leg at the moment.

Any suggestions/comments on what I’m doing wrong?

NO NO NO NO NO! Im sorry, and I know your new, but you have it all wrong! And I HATE reading this all the time! Soreness doesnt indicate growth. Progress does (always improving)!

If your sore, but NEVER improve, THATS a waste of time my friend!

If your never sore but always break your records, you WILL get bigger!

[quote]forbes wrote:
NO NO NO NO NO! Im sorry, and I know your new, but you have it all wrong! And I HATE reading this all the time! Soreness doesnt indicate growth. Progress does (always improving)!

If your sore, but NEVER improve, THATS a waste of time my friend!

If your never sore but always break your records, you WILL get bigger![/quote]

Very well said, that definitely makes me feel better. :slight_smile: I will continue to keep monitoring my progress.

When’s the last time you changed that routine?

It usually takes an increase in volume or a new stimulus to get DOMS.

btw- my back hardly ever gets sore, but my chest and legs will be on fire for a few days

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

btw- my back hardly ever gets sore, but my chest and legs will be on fire for a few days[/quote]

Likewise, occasionally my traps and part of my lats get sore but not often. But my back continues to get stronger so I’m not worried. My legs however…oh man, when they do actually get sore they are usually sore for a good 3 or 4 days, damn front squats and RDL.

Happens whenever I switch up exercises. Like lat pulldowns with weighted pullups, or incline BB to incline DB.

btw- my back hardly ever gets sore, but my chest and legs will be on fire for a few days[/quote]

Jehova,

Yesterday was probably my 5th time doing this routine. So maybe I’ve been on this routine for a month now?

How does my routine look?

It’s missing deadlifts.

10 sets for the back imho opinion is not enough for what appears to be a 4 day split, but maybe you include DL’s on leg day, I dunno lots do.

I personally do 12-15 sets for back, so close. What’s the rest of your routine look like?

[quote]IgneLudo wrote:
It’s missing deadlifts.[/quote]

Those would definitely be in my routine if I didn’t have a broken leg at the moment :slight_smile:

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
10 sets for the back imho opinion is not enough for what appears to be a 4 day split, but maybe you include DL’s on leg day, I dunno lots do.

I personally do 12-15 sets for back, so close. What’s the rest of your routine look like?[/quote]

Monday - Back/bi’s (Already posted that in the original post)

Wednesday - Chest Tri’s
4x8-10 incline bench (first step warm-up)
3x8-10 flat bench
3x12-15 pec-deck flies
3x10 dumbbell pull overs

3x8-10 Cable pulldowns
3x8-10 Over head tricep extensions

Friday - Shoulders

4x8-10 Seated military press (first set warm-up)
3x12-15 lateral dumbbell raises
3x12-15 front raises with using cables

As you noticed I didn’t include a leg workout because I have a broken leg at the moment.

[quote]dannymax wrote:
IgneLudo wrote:
It’s missing deadlifts.

Those would definitely be in my routine if I didn’t have a broken leg at the moment :)[/quote]

T-Men would do deadlifts even if they didn’t have legs :smiley:

dannymax wrote:
IgneLudo wrote:
It’s missing deadlifts.

Those would definitely be in my routine if I didn’t have a broken leg at the moment :slight_smile:

T-Men would do deadlifts even if they didn’t have legs :D[/quote]

Hahah! How’s the routine lookin Jehova? Am I missing anything??

Also, I read reading the definition of muscle hypertrophy on Wiki and interesting enough it said to achieve Sarcoplasm hypertrophy (the kind that builds muscle) a required 12 or more reps are required. Whats your take on that??

[quote]dannymax wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
dannymax wrote:
IgneLudo wrote:
It’s missing deadlifts.

Also, I read reading the definition of muscle hypertrophy on Wiki and interesting enough it said to achieve Sarcoplasm hypertrophy (the kind that builds muscle) a required 12 or more reps are required. Whats your take on that??[/quote]

I think that this site is a little bit more informative on building muscle than Wikipedia.

[quote]elano wrote:
dannymax wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
dannymax wrote:
IgneLudo wrote:
It’s missing deadlifts.

Also, I read reading the definition of muscle hypertrophy on Wiki and interesting enough it said to achieve Sarcoplasm hypertrophy (the kind that builds muscle) a required 12 or more reps are required. Whats your take on that??

I think that this site is a little bit more informative on building muscle than Wikipedia.[/quote]

I agree. So stick with my 8-10rep range?

[quote]dannymax wrote:
elano wrote:

I think that this site is a little bit more informative on building muscle than Wikipedia.

I agree. So stick with my 8-10rep range?[/quote]

There’s no reason why you cant go with a lower rep range for a little while or with a higher range for a while. You can do different rep ranges in the same workout, for different movements. I like changing rep ranges and rest periods more than changing exercises when I feel my progress stalling. Find what works for you and don’t keep a closed mind to things “outside of the norm”

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
dannymax wrote:
elano wrote:

I agree. So stick with my 8-10rep range?

There’s no reason why you cant go with a lower rep range for a little while or with a higher range for a while. You can do different rep ranges in the same workout, for different movements. I like changing rep ranges and rest periods more than changing exercises when I feel my progress stalling. Find what works for you and don’t keep a closed mind to things “outside of the norm” [/quote]

Err… I have to agree.
Pick a rep range or scheme and work with it until you stop progressing, then either deload and try to break the plateau or change the rep range/scheme. I have found this much more effective than changing exercises.

If you’re getting stronger in the 8-10 rep range, then stick with it.

I’m not really sure that soreness indicates anything other than the fact that you are sore…

It’s not an indication of how hard you have worked in the gym I think thats a common misconception.

Progress is the best indication that you are working hard, not soreness IMO.

[quote]gilesdm wrote:
I’m not really sure that soreness indicates anything other than the fact that you are sore…

It’s not an indication of how hard you have worked in the gym I think thats a common misconception.

Progress is the best indication that you are working hard, not soreness IMO.
[/quote]

I rarely see progress without feeling like I’ve at least worked for it, soreness may not be the end-all-be-all indicator of progress, but if I lift heavy and get sore within the next 2 days, I know I’m going to be growing provided I’m eating enough.

I can do as little as 6-8 sets for my back and still have a decent amount of soreness 2 days after, and increase my lifts the next time round. Maybe I just have a really good mind-muscle connection for my back.

OP, I hate you
DOMS ruined my life