I Just Don't Get Some People

[quote]Nich wrote: the knowledge was everything,and a belt was just something holding your Gi on.
[/quote]

This bears repeating.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
lol![/quote]

Redbelt is the WORST movie EVER!!! Randy Couture is in it and he doesn’t even fight!!! lol…

Sorry, back on topic: Blackbelt’s shouldnt expect a blackbelt after 5 years either. If you dont train and arent improving, then you should not move up in ranks.

Wow…
The lovely discussion surrounding “belts”…

When I owned my schools if the topic came up in the context presented in this post, I tactfully informed that person/parents/prospective student, that if they’re worried about getting a black belt, this was the wrong school for them.

I didn’t get a purple until the beginning of 04, and I trained directly under and owned schools with a Brazilian Master level guy since 95!

That belt is worthless if you can put the knowledge to use.

Hell, most people didn’t stick around as students because it was “real” training. People sweated, got worked really hard. Not one of those schools that had 300 lb, lumpy black belts hopping around…

People shouldn’t come to train for a belt, period. If that is what they’re after, they’re not worth having as a student.

[quote]chokeu2 wrote:
People shouldn’t come to train for a belt, period. If that is what they’re after, they’re not worth having as a student. [/quote]

While I understand your sentiment, it wasn’t the kid that WANTED to train who was interested in belts. It was his FATHER who was interested in belts.

Additionally, it was his father who had the bad attitude.

The kid may have been worth having as a student, but we may never know because of his father’s own pre-conceived notions.

[quote]eitelmj wrote:
chokeu2 wrote:
People shouldn’t come to train for a belt, period. If that is what they’re after, they’re not worth having as a student.

While I understand your sentiment, it wasn’t the kid that WANTED to train who was interested in belts. It was his FATHER who was interested in belts.

Additionally, it was his father who had the bad attitude.

The kid may have been worth having as a student, but we may never know because of his father’s own pre-conceived notions.
[/quote]

Good point! And point taken.
On that note, surely seems that is an even worse scenario, because the parent may get the kid in a situation that could cause bodily harm, considering the topic and what HE wants for his kid.

The original belts started white, it was your willingness to push yourself, train, seek wisdom and grow, that caused the belt to gray and ultimately blacken as a side-effect blood, sweat and hard work. The whole point was that it should take years to acheive any mastery of any art, style, or profession. its just a shame, that some individuals, are so closed minded, that they hold others back.

[quote]RickyRick wrote:
The original belts started white, it was your willingness to push yourself, train, seek wisdom and grow, that caused the belt to gray and ultimately blacken as a side-effect blood, sweat and hard work. The whole point was that it should take years to acheive any mastery of any art, style, or profession. its just a shame, that some individuals, are so closed minded, that they hold others back.[/quote]

Excellent post, and truth.

[quote]RickyRick wrote:
The original belts started white, it was your willingness to push yourself, train, seek wisdom and grow, that caused the belt to gray and ultimately blacken as a side-effect blood, sweat and hard work. The whole point was that it should take years to acheive any mastery of any art, style, or profession. its just a shame, that some individuals, are so closed minded, that they hold others back.[/quote]

We tell people this all the time at my school. BUT, the one time you don’t want to do this is for the larger individuals who sweat buckets. The, you take them to the side after class and say, “you know, it’s OKAY if you wash the belt every once in a while. The warrior spirit can only become so strong before it needs to be bleached.”

Srsly though, excellent point.

thats probably why you have different belts now, otherwise us sweaty individuals with “warrior spirit” would gain “mastery” in no time.