T Nation

'I Hear You!' The Aging Athletic Body.

I was once given an example of the difference between “Intelligence and Wisdom”. Intelligence is the ability to figure out how to do something properly. Wisdom is actually doing it properly.

As we age our ability to hear our internal voice becomes greater. The sooner we become wise enough to not only hear it but respond to it’s requests. The greater our progress becomes.

As we have all learned this valued lesson. We have also learned. As diverse as we are in personality and body type. We are also diverse in our responces to external stimulas. This diversity makes it difficult to compare progress and set backs.

Although there are similarities, there are no constants. So we learn to rely on our own internal voice. Our success in future activities requires this higher degree of wisdom.

We all hate to slow down or stop for any reason. As time passes we learn the importances of being a wise ass instead of a dumb ass. Having struggled across that broken down bridge before. Carrying the injures of stupid mistakes. The battle wounds of live one could say.

We now find ourselves progressing rapidly. Gaining greater strength and endurance. While suffering fewer and fewer set backs. We know where the scars are and how to work around them. At our age we are Intelligent enough to figure out how to do it and wise enough to get away with it.

We’ve learned to listen and respond!

I can’t sleep:{

I don’t think anything else needs to be said on that, Stream… very nice…

Remember one of the lights clicking on when I read a piece by Dan Johns, on the advantages of lifting when old…you actually can afford decent equipment…went out a bought my first OL set a week later…

been lifting for 30 years with a collection of 5 & 6 foot steel bars, …young kids today don’t know how tough life was…(I’m thinking hear of a Monty Python skit -actually the Secret Policemans Ball- but not sure if the US ever got Monty Python and his Flying Circus)

again nice piece.

we used to. “I lived in a shoebox in the middle of the road”

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
we used to. “I lived in a shoebox in the middle of the road”[/quote]

Luxury!

Some of the best, most productive training I’ve had has been on cheap-ass, sub-standard equipment. Bent, Non-rotating bars, rusty weights, playground equipment. Rocks and hills are generally free.

I have to disagree with Stream on one point:

There IS at least one constant - effort.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
Some of the best, most productive training I’ve had has been on cheap-ass, sub-standard equipment. Bent, Non-rotating bars, rusty weights, playground equipment. Rocks and hills are generally free.

I have to disagree with Stream on one point:

There IS at least one constant - effort.[/quote]

I humbly stand corrected. EFFORT is most definitely a constant.

I will agree with you on the most productive training. The things we came up with when working in the isolation logging camps still puts a smile on my face. Like 5 gallon buckets full of cement and a rusty old bar. We used axles and wheels off some old mining ore carts for squats. Shit like that happens when you have a bunch of bored guys out in the middle of nowhere!

Polio, Cerebral palsy, torn Rotor cuff(not repaired), torn Bicep(not repaired), Almost all my L vertebrae are bad(not repaired), Cervical fusion(partially repaired), Colin resection.
To say the least, as Ive gotten older I have become much wiser when it comes to my body.