T Nation

I Have No Idea How to Eat Properly...

Hi all,

This is my first post, so be gentle! Anyways, to my issue:

I'm 22 and I've been a high school and varsity wrestler for 8 years. My diet basically fluctuated between eating poorly and cutting weight--both of which I have become remarkably adept at. I recently dislocated my shoulder and it's pretty much sidelined my training program (no back squats, deadlifts, swings, all upper body). Since I'm unable to train as intensely, I did a very low-carb diet (~30g/day). Once I got to my desired weight, I had no idea how to eat to continue the fat loss without the low carbs. On top of that, the years of cycling deprivation led to a rebound of over consumption of crap. I'm pretty much at my wit's end and I basically need someone to hold my hand through some kind of meal plan...

How do I fix this bad habit and can anyone point to a good nutrition plan? Also, any good work outs I can do that won't aggravate my shoulder (no external rotation or passive weight in my arms)? I've mostly been doing goblet squats, glute ham raises, back extensions, barbell hip thrusts, split squats and sprint training. Core work is difficult to do without a shoulder.

What are your goals? You need to figure out what your bmr is which means the amount of calories you need to consume to stay at your current weight. Your diet will basically consist of egg whites, eggs, chicken, lean steak, veggies, rice, and oatmeal. Pretty much the same everyday with a cheat day.

Hey man...I feel your pain. I wrestled in college, just finished this year, and my year got cut short with a dislocated shoulder.

-In terms of workouts heres what I did at first
Quad day
-Safety Bar squats
-Leg press
-Leg extension
-Sled dragging with waist attatchment (sh*t tons)

Hams Day
-Safety Bar Good mornings
-Slide board or physio ball ham curls
-seated or lying ham curls
- forward sled dragging

Calf and whatever else i could do pain free day
-.....u get the idea here

I did this for about 8 weeks until I could do some rowing and light pressing.

In terms of diet I know exactly where your coming from on the yo-yoing. Alot of my teammates were idiots and had no nutritional knowledge and I saw them really screw themselves up. You need to focus first on quality food more than anything. Grass fed meats, free range eggs, organic greens, berries, and certain carb sources YOU handle well timed in accordance with training. Once you have that down then you can start playing with macro ratios to meet you current goals.

No one, not even the best nutritionists on this site will be able to give you a perfect diet, you just have to go through the trial and error. I would say though from my experience try and save the super low carb diet for when you really need it. You can still make alot of great body comp improvements with carbs in the diet as long as they are the right ones (my favs are oats, raisin ezekiel bread, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, and Finibars) and timed properly (around training mostly). Let me know if you have any more questions, always good to help a fellow wrestler.

read this...

ACTUALLY read it word for word. its a good starting point

Usually you will begin by holding the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right hand.

Than you will use your left hand (fork) to hold the piece of meat (you should be eating meat often).

With you other hand (the right one) (the one holding the knife) you will cut the meat.

Than, you will drop the knife from your right hand.

Now, here comes the tricky part, you will switch the fork from your left hand to your right hand

With the right hand (now holding the fork if the previous steps have been done correctly) you will "grab" the piece of meat (the one you just cut with your knife) with your fork and than do a motion to bring whats at the far end of your fork to your mouth.

Once the piece is inside your mouth, you will put your teeth around it and slowly take away the fork so that the meat stays in your mouth but the fork goes out.

Than all you have to do is chew and repeat

Hope this helped

I summed up the basics of what I had to learn to become functional at one of my blogs (with the mods permission? I'm not selling anything..):

Modify as needed. Also a search for "beginner" on Tnation will bring up some articles and forum threads.

Don't learn the hard way:

A man walks into a doctor's office. He has a cucumber up his nose, a carrot in his left ear and a banana in his right ear.
"What's the matter with me?" he asks the doctor.
The doctor replies, "You're not eating properly."

How can you be a varsity wrestler for 8 years? that would mean you would of made varsity at fourth grade. What state are you wrestling in?

maybe he was in high school for 8 years?

to get you started, read some of the articles from this site, as others have suggested.

as far as the super low carbs go, 30g a day is increadibly low, especially since your training and wrestling, i wouldnt suggest you go that low, just replace the crap carbs with good ones and you should be fine. Eat lots of meat, eggs, veggies, and good carbs like oatmeal, wheat bread, etc. Diets arent that difficult, just read a few articles and you should be well on your way.

Or 4 years HS followed by 4 of college.

You know, like uniVARSITY.

Wheat is a bad carb.

"Pretend Iâ??m a mad food scientist. Iâ??d like to create a food that:

1) Wreaks gastrointestinal havoc and cause intractable diarrhea, cramps, and anemia.
2) Kills some people who consume it after a long, painful course of illness.
3) Damages the brain and nervous system such that some people wet their pants, lose balance, and lose the ability to feel their feet and legs.
4) Brings out the mania of bipolar illness.
5) Amplifies auditory hallucinations in people with paranoid schizophrenia.
6) Makes people diabetic by increasing blood sugars.
7) Worsens arthritis, such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
8) Triggers addictive eating behavior.
9) Punishes you with a withdrawal process if you try to remove it from your diet.

I will develop a strain that is exceptionally hardy and tolerates diverse conditions so that it can grow in just about any climate. It should also be an exceptionally high yield crop, so that I can sell it cheaply to the masses.

Now, if my evil scheme goes as planned, I will then persuade the USDA that not only is my food harmless, but it is good for health. If they really take the bait, they might even endorse it, create a diet program around it.

Dag nabit! Such a plan has already been implemented. Another evil food scientist already beat me to the punch. The food is called wheat."

Judith J. Wurtman, PhD knows what she's talking about:

Do everything she suggests and you can be the ideal weak, skinny-fat, specimen we all want to be.