I Have A Situation...

Hello,

To quickly introduce myself, I’m 21, 6’0, 190lbs. I work full-time, so I have about an hour each day to workout.

I feel that I have a special case in comparison to those looking to lose fat, or those trying to bulk up.

A few yrs back, I was about 220lbs. I started to eat less fatty foods and work heavy on cardio. I made the mistake of not weight training while doing so.

I lost a lot of fat as well as muscle. I have rather thin arms, yet I’d still want to lose some fat. I feel that I at least need to restore the size of my arms. What’s my best, fastest way to turn this around? Is there also a product that I can use to help this?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

No waht you simply need to do is get a complete training program for your whole body and be consistant GO to the gym hit the weights and reep the rewards. In a few years opf consistant trainign and diet you’ll have made great progress if you keep it up.

Products food, training, rest, recovery. Look into a Protein powder in the store here nail PWO nutrition etc. as you get these nailed take a look at further products once you have a plan you know you will stick to LONG TERM

Phill

I’m in the exact same boat. Lost alot of weight with aerobic exercise and now I’m skinny-fat with a big torso and thin limbs.

I have been able to turn this situation around however. I’m currently both gaining muscle mass and dropping fat (yay for newbie gains).

To achieve this I’m doing compound free weight training three times a week using heavy loading (reps below five). Bench press, barbell row, military press, pullups/-downs, front squats and stiff legged deadlifts. Sprints on off days. If you want a detailed plan feel free to ask.

Supplements are PWO drink, BCAA’s, fish oil and creatine. I eat around 18x my bodyweight, with carbs ingested at breakfast/workout/meal after workout or on off days in the three first meals of the day. Otherwise I’m strictly protein+fat and veggies.

Hope this helps!

Thanks alot guys, you’ve already been alot of help.

I currently have a protein powder called, MRP, something used to increase the progress of working out and also a meal replacement. You think this would work?

If you could add a detailed plan that would really be great.

Also, since you were saying you were in the same boat, when did you start to see any sort of progress?

Thanks.

I suggest you read the are you a beginner thread and all the links above and get an idwea of doet and trainging plans and come back with more direct ?'s do a little work of your own the ask for help or directed pointed ?'s instead of just gimme gimmes LOL

were glad to help but you have to start doing work for your self as welll TONS of info here,

Phill

I understand…It’s just that I’ve read a lot of articles on the site so far, obviously not all, but I haven’t found one that applies to my story, that’s all.

[quote]tna07 wrote:
I understand…It’s just that I’ve read a lot of articles on the site so far, obviously not all, but I haven’t found one that applies to my story, that’s all.[/quote]

You probably have and just don’t realize it. There’s a lot of info out there. However, you need to do your own leg work and take ownership of your own goals. Are you that serious? We can critique what you put together and offer advice.

About nutrition–read “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Diets” by John Berardi on this site. Apply said principles.

Above all, do something. Don’t just read. You can always change what you’re doing, but the important thing is to get started. Otherwise you’ll never reach your goal.

Step 1–Tell us how many calories you eat currently

Step 2–Pick a program from this site. Tell us what program you are going to follow and why you chose that

Step 3–Tell us how many times a day you will eat from here on out to the end of the summer.

Step 4–Tell us how you are going to divide the calories for each meal across the day–protein/carb, protein/fat, prot/fat/carb, shakes, whatever.

Step 5–Show us an example day detailing the sources of protein, fat, and carbs that you plan to use.

A lot of work? Yes. But ultimately you need to walk yourself through it so you have some incentive to stay the course. It’s a lot easier to bail if you get everything handed to you in detail. We can offer help and advice, and correct mistakes you made in your rough draft.

[quote]tna07 wrote:
I understand…It’s just that I’ve read a lot of articles on the site so far, obviously not all, but I haven’t found one that applies to my story, that’s all.[/quote]

Every one has to sort the cream from the crop and apply what fits to them and again ask more pointed questions as you get a plan and like above said post your plan and how yu feel it should look and we can help you from there instead of blindly trying to make something from scratch for you,

Phill

Here’s what I’m doing:

Exercise A:

Bench or dumbbell press
Barbell or dumbbell row
Deadlift

Exercise B:

Military or shoulder press
Chinups (machine assisted, varied grips)
Front squat

Doing this three times a week mon-wed-fri, so first week is A-B-A and the second B-A-B, then repeat. I use 7-8 sets with 3-4 reps each (though keeping it above 24 for total set x rep) with rest time below 2mins. I increase weights slightly on every wednesdays exercise routine.

Keep in mind that every person is different, and thus respond differently to exercise programs. Is this an ideal program for a beginner? Probably not, but I’m pleased with the results.

Before I lost my weight I was sorta active in a gym, but always winging it and doing the standard 3x10 routine. The weight loss severely impacted my strength and that’s why I like my current program that focuses on gaining that strength back.

As for results concerning arm mass, I’m very pleased. Your biceps and triceps are worked each exercise (pressing/pulling) and I’m getting better gains than when I was specifically training my arms. I actually got comments from my friends this new years on how my arms had grown (this was after about 7-8 weeks of training).

But enough about my life story. Read the articles posted here and elsewhere on the site, hit the gym with a program of your choosing and adapt your training based on how your body reacts to it. And good luck!

[quote]Brogan wrote:
Here’s what I’m doing:

Exercise A:

Bench or dumbbell press
Barbell or dumbbell row
Deadlift

Exercise B:

Military or shoulder press
Chinups (machine assisted, varied grips)
Front squat

Add hamstring and core workouts to that program.
crunches,prone plank, good mornings, stiff legged dead lifts