I Hate Working

I am a dish washer at a restaurant which Ive brought up in posts before. I feel like im just being a pussy and I know more than one person will tell me to get the sand out of my vagina but, I can’t stand my job. I like several people I work with a lot and we have fun talking about shit and pulling pranks etc but the job itself is soul sucking. I work Sunday,tuesday,thursday and depending on whether or not someone picks up the shift, Wednesday then possibly extra stuff. I work from 3-11 almost every shift.30-39 hours. I drive 35 minutes to and from work.

Positives: I’m good friends with some great guys and girls there and it can be a lot of fun talking with them and hanging out.
Its a family run business so we can mess with the fryers and be a few minutes late without getting in trouble.

Negatives: The boss is a manchild. He will rant and rave about shit and never tell someone directly what they’ve done wrong. He will also rarely give praise for anything and if he does then he tells someone else to tell you. He also does that when hes angry, he tells someone else to tell you, im not talking about a lower boss, just one of your co workers. Raises are unheard of.

I just generally feel like shit when im working. long hours on my feet plus not moving much means foot pain and I feel very stiff alot. When I wasn’t working I could hold my hands flat to the ground…so im pretty flexible but now I groan to bend over and pick up a fork. My knees also seem to be acting up.I work in 100+ temps and 100% humidity I feel like I’m fucking myself up. Not to mention most days I end up sleeping till 1-2pm.

As of now I’m going into my second year college and I have about 500$ saved and will get $1000 plus cash to live on from college aid. I feel like I really want to quit but the boss promised to let me train as a banquet server in September (12$ an hour instead of 8$ flat) but I feel like I can’t bare this job that much longer.

Yeah, you’re going to need to wash the sand out of your vagina dude, or you’ll start having pearls forming in there. In which case, you might be able to sell them for a living, so there is that…

It’s life dude, people work shitty jobs, move on and find another shitty one, keep it up until you find one you like, then don’t get fired.

Buddy, my first real job when I was 16 was as a dishwasher. 4 cooks feeding pots and pans to me, 3 servers and one bus girl feeding dishes, glasses and utensils to me. I worked 3-1 with no help, and had to take out the garbage whenever it was full of food. 10 hour days of exhausting labour and never once did I complain or call in sick.

Get the sand out of your vagina and stop complaining.

I’m 20 and in my first year of college. My first job when I was 16 was as a dishwasher. Since then I have had many other low paying job and dishwashing was by far the worst. The main thing that I couldn’t stand was the heat and humidity. It was brutal- I lasted 3 months. I feel for you.

Go out and find something else.

Being a dishwasher sucks ass, especially if the restaurant is moderately busy. The one I worked at was extremely busy on weekends, which meant you could be working non-stop without a chance to catch your breath for hours. Not to mention the lack of bathroom breaks and getting dehydrated because you can’t drink enough water(even if you could, you couldn’t relieve yourself later). None of my dishwashing crew(and very few any back-of-the-house employees) spoke English either, so there was that too.

I do admit to feeling like a vag for complaining so much. I was young though and I only bitched to myself when my shift was over or during my shift in my head. I do feel your pain, though. At least you have a friendly work atmosphere with coworkers you could communicate with in your native tongue. Very frustrating to say the least.

Ya, It definitely has to do with the fact that the work is extremely mindless and simple and at the same time very fast paced and potentially stressful. Sucks.

I worked at a restaurant in similiar conditions for a few weeks. Boss was an asshole, didnt like people talking on the job, you’d literally get a “shut the fuck up” from him if you were chatting, even if you were working hard at the same time.

I found a job working in the campus cafeteria at the university i attended just feeding dishes into a behemoth machine that does all the work and it paid $13 an hour starting. Try looking on campus for jobs if thats a possibility.

I worked as a dishwasher as well. Pay was pretty good $11+ tip, 6 cooks feeding whatever, and plates going like crazy. worked 8 hour shifts, 6-2. Got home around 3 and wouldn’t be able to sleep until 4. Would Wake up at 2, exhausted from prior shift the whole day just to start another.

It is very stressing , but depending on your kitchen team it can be fulfilling in some cases. It was for a well known place but in the end it wasn’t worth it. I basically lived as a dishwasher for the shift days and nothing else. Had no life on those days except the dish washing work.

You’re miserable after a certain amount of time after realizing it and reconsidering,
You’re boss doesn’t know how to be one,
Body aching, stressed and un acknowledge,

Find another place man. Even if it’s dishwashing, find one that realizes a dishwasher is an important role in a kitchen, and a place that you can enjoy.

If you’re un happy going to your shift, then you’re working in the wrong place.

[quote]Bungalow wrote:
10 hour days of exhausting labour and never once did I complain or call in sick.

[/quote]

I fucken bet you did. Cut the ‘back in my day’ bullshit.

I worked as a dish pig when i was studying fulltime in college. 25 - 30 hours of college during the day and 40 - 50 hours of piggin it at night. Always worked friday and sat night too.

Eventually the chefs saw i had some talent and trained me up on cold larder and deserts, from there i went to garnish, then maker, then mains. Eventually i was a senior member of the kitchen. But i only did it until i had an opportunity to do something else. Fucking hated that shit. Stressed me the fuck out. And when i left i never looked back. But my younger years were full of scum jobs.

Working in kitchens is damned hard work as anyone who has worked in one will tell you…

My advice : See if there is any progression in this job for you. If not, start looking for something else.

[quote]Petermus wrote:
I am a dish washer at a restaurant

[/quote] could be worse, you could be addicted to smack and turnin tricks in an alley [quote]

which Ive brought up in posts before. I feel like im just being a pussy[/quote]

is this what you feel like? Well, then you’ve identified a problem early on in your post but I see there is more to read. Let’s see what other revelations you devulge about yourself shall we

[qoute] and I know more than one person will tell me to get the sand out of my vagina but, I can’t stand my job.[/qoute]

you and about a billion other people. Suck it up or do something about it…but alas, there’s still more to read!![quote]

I like several people I work with a lot and we have fun talking about shit and pulling pranks etc but the job itself is soul sucking. I work Sunday,tuesday,thursday and depending on whether or not someone picks up the shift, Wednesday then possibly extra stuff. I work from 3-11 almost every shift.30-39 hours. I drive 35 minutes to and from work.[/quote]

so you’re telling me you have a job relatively close to home where you get to pull pud and have a jovial time with your co-workers? I’m assuming you don’t get paid much and/or your boss verbally and physcially abuses/molests you and blackmails you into keeping your mouth shut. Either that or you think you’re entitled to something you haven’t earned yet in which case you need to nut the fuck up and do something about it.

[quote]

Positives: I’m good friends with some great guys and girls there and it can be a lot of fun talking with them and hanging out.
Its a family run business so we can mess with the fryers and be a few minutes late without getting in trouble.

[/quote] So you’re telling me that you’re NOT physically abused … ok let’s see what the negatives are (this better be fuckin’ good. I hope you severed a limb and were still forced to finish your shift)[quote]

Negatives: The boss is a manchild. He will rant and rave about shit and never tell someone directly what they’ve done wrong. He will also rarely give praise for anything

[/quote] OK OK OK let me stop you right here. So you’re saying to me that you’re boss is unhappy with the performance of jokesters who perfrom shenanigans nightly? And you’re confused as to why he has a problem with this?! What the hell do you do that desereves praise? Do you go above and beyong your given duties? Or do you only perform the bare minimum thus undeserving of ANY PRAISE?[quote]

Raises are unheard of.

[/quote] wtf do you do that deserves a raise? Pull pranks and pull pud with your co-workers? Fantastic. Yea, fuck off what the hell do you deserve a raise for? Do you talk to him about receiving a raise? Maybe a promotion? What do you do that would convince him that you deserve either?!? [quote]

I just generally feel like shit when im working. long hours on my feet plus not moving much means foot pain and I feel very stiff alot. When I wasn’t working I could hold my hands flat to the ground…so im pretty flexible but now I groan to bend over and pick up a fork. My knees also seem to be acting up.I work in 100+ temps and 100% humidity I feel like I’m fucking myself up. Not to mention most days I end up sleeping till 1-2pm.

[/quote] once again, stop being a bitch; nut up and do something about it. What does that mean you ask? Well, start pounding pavement and looking for something better/bettering yourself to put yourself in a position to advance or receive a better job. Seriously, what have YOU done to deserve better? You’re bitching about some shit job on a message board instead of doing something about it? What do you want? Validation? Not happenin kid. I don’t give a shit what the economy is like in the country YOU HAVE BETTER OPORTUNITES HERE TO BETTER YOUR LIFE THAN ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD. Fucking take advantage of it and stop being a fucking whiney bitch. I’m willing to bet you don’t know what you want. I’m willing to bet you think you’ve earned something, you deserve something. Fuck off, you haven’t earned shit. You are NOT ENTITLED to SHIT in this life, son. YOU have to EARN IT. WORK HARD FOR IT. And that doesn’t mean wash more dishes. It means identifying your passion, your dream, and doing WHAT IS MORE THAN NECESSARY TO OBTAIN IT. If that means groaning when you pick up a fork so you can afford to better yourself then so be it. But it doesn’t mean you get to fucking complain. You don’t. Well, you know what, you can complain all you want about it, but if you expect sympathy from anyone you’re sorely mitaken. Wanna know who gets sympathy from me? Those poor saps in Cambodia who made my shoes, but ya know what? They ain’t complaining. The alternative over there is farming mud. See the difference? OR you could be farming fucking Diamonds for warlords at gun point. How does that sound? Ya fuckin’ jerk. So shut the fuck up about your dishwashing job, bend over and pick up that fork if it means you’re working towards something better BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO. Get your head out of your ass. Fuckin’ kids.[quote]

As of now I’m going into my second year college and I have about 500$ saved and will get $1000 plus cash to live on from college aid. I feel like I really want to quit but the boss promised to let me train as a banquet server in September (12$ an hour instead of 8$ flat) but I feel like I can’t bare this job that much longer.[/quote]

Seriously, Suck it up.

A sucky job can be the best thing that ever happens to you, then you will appreciate a good one.

OR

Get your girlfriend to take you to a hypnotist tell him how much you hate your job, ask him to put you under so that you think you are fishing (or something you enjoy) all day, let him die before he brings you out of hypnosis and then you can be at work all day and won’t care. Then the consultants can see you don’t care and recommend you for upper management.

That should be made into a movie!

Broseph, go to your local beer distributor, there should be several in your area. During the summers they need extra help delivering because well people drink more in the summers. I did bussing and dishwashing for a short spell making $8 and only getting like 30 hours per week.

I didn’t want to work while I was going to classes so I tried saving my money all summer and then I had some good cash to go to school with. Got hooked up at the beer distributor, Some days were 10 hour shifts some were 14-16, but we got paid 11 bucks an hour and got time and 1/2 every fucking week. I was bringing home 6 bills per week and the days were so long I was just going home, eating and going to bed, so I literally spent no money all summer. Weekends are off though so you could still go out for friday and saturday night parties or whatever.

I’m sure it’s a little different everywhere, but I would look into it. I did that shit for 3 years of my college summer breaks and it was very good. Also you got to have a few beers here and there when delivering to a bar or whatever. It’s not boring, you ride from place to place, each stop is different.

Some have loading docks and you just pull a pallet off the truck, others you have to throw half kegs down creepy little holes and hook them up in these dirt floor basements. You get a decent workout throwing kegs around all day too.

V

I worked as a dishwasher for my 1st official job. Started at $7/hour working at a family restaurant. Long hours but we set our own schedule. On your feet all the time, taking out trash, sweeping/moping the kitchen, etc.

It wasn’t great but it wasn’t horrible. I brought a bunch of friends in so we would goof around during down time and I eventualy moved up to cook. I stayed there for 3 years. It gave me an idea of what happens to the people back in the kitchen. Then I served to understand what they go through as well.

Either suck it up or get out. Money isn’t great, job isn’t exactly invigorating, but it pays the bills and teaches you humility. That said, I did it when I was 14ish-17, so I wasn’t as old. Look around for other shit?

I will say, the worst thing was trying to sleep and I couldn’t get the nasty smell off my hands. That would keep me up at night.

Polo!!! Fix that post man.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
Polo!!! Fix that post man.[/quote]

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
Polo!!! Fix that post man.[/quote]
[/quote]

Best post fix I’ve seen in…well…ever.

White girl with big ass> any amount of text.

when i was 15 i worked at the Best Western. they had me serving, washing dishes, behind the bar even. i’d work until 3am, and since i was too young to drive my parents had to come pick me up.

then KFC. then a trailer parts store. then a gym. then the government.

work is the worst.

I worked as a dishwasher at an Italian restaurant one summer when I was in high school. 10 hour shifts, from 12 noon to 10 PM, no breaks or lunch. The owner said, if you get hungry, eat something. I also did other chores in the kitchen, making salada, pizza sauce, even making the pizza dough. No one really wanted my job so that was cool.

I found ways to make it easier on myself. The boss would go home for lunch everyday for at least an hour, me and one of the waitresses would stand in the walk-in refrigerator drinking ice cold Heinekens. I’m surprised the cheap bastard owner never caught on, we piled down a bunch of them.

The job sucked, but it sure as shit wasn’t a career and I quit as soon as school started up again. I had enough money to get through the whole fall and buy school clothes.

BG

What Polo said. Drop the entitlement - It’s just a secondary emotional payoff that will rob you of your volition. The world doesn’t owe you a thing. If your family hasn’t prepared a path for you (of if they are using the “tough love” approach), you are just going to have to find your way. It is a fairly simple concept but it certainly is not easy.

Figure out what you want, figure out how to get there and do the work. SIMPLE (not easy).

Oh, and you don’t have it bad. That’s what Polo was getting at. You don’t know what “bad” is. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful for the immense potential and opportunity you have that is just waiting on some “right action” from you to actualize.

In closing, being a dishwasher at a family restaurant could be worse. I did a rotation as a dishwasher in prison. Same conditions except that I had to worry about being killed or raped when I took out the trash - it could be worse! (oh, and I wasn’t getting paid).

There is life beyond the sink! Keep your head up, kid.