"I Hate That Gym" Venting Thread

It’s funny how that certain gyms that your average Person would consider a shit hole. Tend to produce some impressive people. … All about environment.

2 Likes

I had an off-season Greco/Freestyle coach who gave free coaching for the year if you won states

Come On…Take a chance and live a little.

One of my pet peeves in both fitness and martial arts is when they pretend to be each other.

People teaching fitness shouldn’t be trying to teach it through martial arts - I’d never pay commercial gym training fees for padwork, and I’d never train martial arts/kickboxing/boxing in a commercial gym.

Martial arts instructors shouldn’t try making their class a fitness class unless it’s a designated conditioning class. One of the laziest applications I’ve seen is 10 pushups/10 situps/10 squats between rounds. Just let them rest up. I was part of a fight team in MD that did pretend crossfit instead of sparring, which was dumb.

Yeah this gym isn’t like that at all. The owner allows and even encourages people to drink whiskey while we spar and nobody is doing push-ups between rolls.

2 Likes

there has been a trend of personal, goal oriented focused gyms popping up recently.

the problem Is they’re expensive! Your typical commercial gym, something like 24 hour fitness/LA/Youfit/Planetfitness costs what? $30/mo on average?

These ‘specialized’ gyms are upwards of $90 a month if you want the same level of cleanliness and a decent variety of equipment!

Sign me up - I miss jiu jitsu

Glad to know. Seems like a chill environment

My powerlifting gym is $140 a month and $120 for coaching. I’ve been to a powerlifting gym in my are that was $350 a month

So do I, which is why I’m getting mats for the basement. My instructor lost his home training space so I now get some of the best players from the best school in the region coming to my place to train once a week.

Too bad the gym sucks so bad!

1 Like

That’s insane.

The PL gym in my town is a private club with world class equipment and pretty legit lifters. $35 a month gets you 24/7 access. Coaching is free if the owner likes you or sees potential.

Same with the PL gym in my town - $50 a month but international strongmen and state record holder powerlifters train there regularly.
For 350/month you might as well build your own home gym.

There are cheaper powerlifting gyms if I got further, but I get a hefty discount because I’m one of the first few members.

What’s the normal rate if $140 a month is heavily discounted? Does it include steroids or something?

Thats the normal fee, I don’t pay that much. Same with the coaching

$350/month???

lick%20me%20before%20you%20fuck%20me

WOW …at that rate the damn hands on coaching better be done by someone who has coached up top level lifters. Not to mention I would expect a “happy ending” from someone.

The gym in my compound in Shanghai is the definition of overpriced shithole.

Over1200/year

No squat racks, broken machines
Even worse, they keep temps at 26C and the week before I left, air con broke so the gym was closer to 30C - In THE MIDDLE OF SHANGHAI SUMMER!!! My friend,who goes to that gym, confronted the manager and he shrugged and no shit said something along the lines of : you guys are here to sweat anyways

so where I am, there’s a lot of variety in what you can get, and how much you can pay to get it.

I mostly train at a metroflex franchise, and I think I pay in the 30 dollar range for it. No, it’s not ‘nice’. It’s not the same level of cleanliness that an LA Fitness has. But it DOES have 25+ specialty bars that you can’t find at LA fitness, platforms, atlas stones, etc. So my money is going to something else.

I could go across the highway and pay more like 60 or 70 for a membership at destination dallas. much cleaner. AC. similar equipment to metroflex. serious lifters there too. Which makes sense.

In all these scenarios, you’re getting what you pay for, essentially. These specialty gyms don’t get to enjoy the income that commercial gyms take in of members who never show up. So they have to charge more for the cleanliness… or just not keep it clean. lol. fewer members means higher membership, and that is inherent to a specialty gym.

Youfit and Planet fitness actually operate on a different business model from La Fitness, or rather they’re more extreme. Those gyms offer 10-20 dollar memberships, with the expectation that even MORE people will sign up and never show up. And they’ll never worry about cancelling because it’s just not that expensive. They also keep much less ‘wearable’ equipment. lighter dumbbells (usually under 70 lbs), no power/squat racks, sometimes no barbells at all, in the case of planet fitness.

If I was just looking to make money, I’d follow the planet fitness model.

3 Likes

lucky bastard…

2 Likes

I have free access to a pretty nice uni gym. I’d say I’m lucky

1 Like