I Hate Personal Trainers

Today, I was at the gym and I saw a personal trainer “training” one of my friends from school. (most of the kids from my school go to one gym) Anyway, he started off with bicep curls (in the rack, to make it worse). Then, the friend I had gone with had gone to his free one month of personal training with membership. I had gone on my own to do my workout. I come back to see him doing reverse flies on the pec deck. He goes “we’ll leave in a minute, I have one more set.” So he goes to sit on the machine, and his trainer goes “wait, you missed your stretch set, do that first.” Then proceeds to tell him, as well as myself that “stretching is what will get your chest ‘cut’, not lifting weights.”

I hate these personal trainers who A) think they know everything and B) think all kids are stupid and uninformed. Then of course their ridiculous workout “plans” that never work.

I wish I belonged to westside.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
[/quote]

I wish someone would have given me enough money to join a gym with a personal trainer when I was in high school.

don’t be jealous. gettin’ paid to do nothin’ is like the golden frickn’ job. plus the more trainees those wicked lame trainers have the less guys competing with you eh?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

I wish someone would have given me enough money to join a gym with a personal trainer when I was in high school.[/quote]

I wish I hadn’t stopped lifting weights in the 9th and 10th grade.

[quote]NateN wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

I wish someone would have given me enough money to join a gym with a personal trainer when I was in high school.

I wish I hadn’t stopped lifting weights in the 9th and 10th grade.
[/quote]

I wish I had started lifting weights in the 9th and 10th grade…

There are a lot of excellent trainers out there. Unfortunately, they all live in California, New York, or Canada…

OD

As a personal trainer, I couldnt agree more about how some trainers are absolutely clueless. Example: I trained a female client for just 3 weeks, she used free weights 3 times a week and did cardio on a stairstepper 3 times weekly, 30 mins HARD. I had her do all the basics, bench press, military press, rows, squats, deadlifts…etc. We also set up a food log. Now, another trainer, who has been training her male client, has struggled to see any improvement in MONTHS!! She has him doing hardly any free weights, lots of band and ball work and too much cardio. But ya, know, she has a college degree and several personal training certificats, so what do I know?

As a trainer I just shake my head at some of the stuff I see other trainers do in my gym…

We have a group of in-house trainers that are contracted to train people and they suck. Most don’t have certifications, and are barely in their early twenties. No offense to you young guys out there, but we tend to have older(mature) clientele out here by Palm Springs. They only train their clients for 1/2 and hour and some of them keep flexing their own muscles with the cute young girls to impress them.

I’m one of the independent trainers and I’m researching from this website every day for the past couple of years and have had plenty of success with clients from all ages and types. It’s in the education and application of knowledge that makes someone good. You might have a degree, but if you ond’t know how to use the info then in my book, you’re an idoit and you wasted som good years and money of your life. At least the other group of trainers at my gym make us independents look 10 times better! I’ve even had a P.E. teacher from a local high school call me stupid for talking about training techiniques from Charles Poliquin and other coaches from this site. I guess her degree is better than my 10+ years of training and educating myself by going to seminars with strength coaches and she’s only 24 or 25 so she must have more experience… Ha!

For anyone out there that has read this post to this part, don’t bitch too much about trainers helping your friends. Educate them on what good training is if you know or at least help them to pick a decent trainer. If you’re on this site then your ahead of the rest of the gym rats and wannabe’s and you’re not helping your friends by letting them get screwed at the gym. At my gym, if I have friends that I don’t train, at least they come to me with questions about training and refer their friends who can afford it or need it and I keep getting more clients.

As a personal trainer for the last 16 years I must say that I often do not tell people what I do.I dont want to be in that crowd.

I wish I was a little bit taller…

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
I wish I was a little bit taller…[/quote]

I’m with you, Alek!

And a little prettier.
I wish I was taller and prettier.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
Aleksandr wrote:

I’m with you, Alek!

And a little prettier.
I wish I was taller and prettier.
[/quote]

Haha! I wish I was shorter. Heels will help you boys, but there’s no help for me. :slight_smile:

Hey man, just because some of us trainers are absolute idiots who don’t know what they’re talking about (i.e. that guy), doesn’t mean that all of us are like that.

I know exactly what it’s like to get into arguments with trainers about training smarter vs. “training” by sleeping on a machine. It’s hard to break these people’s paradigms, but it’s not impossible. Educate your friend, and explain to him why your view is more correct than this trainer’s, instead of just being mad about it.

If you can get the trainer to be open-minded and listen, hell will have frozen over. We’re some pretty thick-headed guys most of the time, especially us young whipper-snappers who think we’ve got a few certs under our belts and/or have read just enough books and read just enough Muscle And Fiction magazines to be dangerous.

Bottom line: There are better trainers. You just have to find 'em.

In strength,
-Eric

Telling guys to wear high heels won’t help them either.

:smiley:

[quote]SicTorn wrote:

Haha! I wish I was shorter. Heels will help you boys, but there’s no help for me. :)[/quote]

I agree. But most of the time, the sad truth is:

“The man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.”

[quote]Rayshore wrote:
Educate your friend, and explain to him why your view is more correct than this trainer’s, instead of just being mad about it.

If you can get the trainer to be open-minded and listen, hell will have frozen over. We’re some pretty thick-headed guys most of the time, especially us young whipper-snappers who think we’ve got a few certs under our belts and/or have read just enough books and read just enough Muscle And Fiction magazines to be dangerous.

Bottom line: There are better trainers. You just have to find 'em.

In strength,
-Eric[/quote]

i wish i could make a witty remark about what i wish.

[quote]SicTorn wrote:

I wish I was shorter.[/quote]

Tall T-Women are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

On another note, I wish there were T-Women around this town.

And, as a personal trainer (ish), I wish I had clients who wanted more than program and diet design.

This reminds me of something that occured yesterday…

I’ve just recently moved, so I have found another gym. At my old gym, it was an established fact that I knew what I was doing. I had trained long enough to realize what works well with my body and how I should manipulate my diet in order to get results. Well, this isn’t the case at this new gym.

There is this young prick at the gym who strikes up a conversation with me and I find out that he is a personal trainer. Number one, I come to the gym to workout, not to talk. Number two he tries to impress me with his personal training jargon and number three he proclaims to know everything about everything. He begins to inform me on how he would train a woman, totally dismissing everything I would say regaring training. Now this guy is extremely arrogant and blessed with good genetics, a bad combination, so he thinks his is a gym god who knows the inner dephs of the cosmos. Anyways, I am training under SwoleCat (Chris Janusz) and recieiving wonderful results thus so far with trying to get down to my ultimate goal; so I try to explain to him what I am doing (which doesn’t work well considering he cuts me off every 3 words), and this “trainer’s” opinion is that women should never train with heavy weights and he has them to 10 minutes of cardio before a workout and then circuit trains them to keep up the same heartrate as the cardio throughout the entire workout(140bpm). This is coming from a guy who insists if he cuts off the fan overhead while doing curls, he can cut short his own 10 minute cardio so he can stay ripped. I just laugh it off and say I’m happy with my current trainer (even comparing this guy to Swolecat makes me laugh inside). I don’t claim to be a top fitness expert, but you can at least look at me and tell I know what I’m doing. What insulted me is he assumed I knew nothing and took it upon himself to offer training me while not being open to hearing anything I had to say.

Not all trainers are like this, so I’m not going to say they are all know it all idiots… But when you find a good one, there are few and far between. What is really sad though, is that there are TONS of naive people who won’t get off their lazy butts to do any research prior to seeking professional help… So when a trainer puts them on machines and gives other “advice,” the person doesn’t know any better and actually carries out the routines. (And the trainee wonders why he doesn’t get any results).

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
I wish I was a little bit taller…[/quote]

I wish I was a baller…

[quote]SouthernGirl wrote:
This reminds me of something that occured yesterday…

I’ve just recently moved, so I have found another gym. At my old gym, it was an established fact that I knew what I was doing. I had trained long enough to realize what works well with my body and how I should manipulate my diet in order to get results. Well, this isn’t the case at this new gym.

There is this young prick at the gym who strikes up a conversation with me and I find out that he is a personal trainer. Number one, I come to the gym to workout, not to talk. Number two he tries to impress me with his personal training jargon and number three he proclaims to know everything about everything. He begins to inform me on how he would train a woman, totally dismissing everything I would say regaring training. Now this guy is extremely arrogant and blessed with good genetics, a bad combination, so he thinks his is a gym god who knows the inner dephs of the cosmos. Anyways, I am training under SwoleCat (Chris Janusz) and recieiving wonderful results thus so far with trying to get down to my ultimate goal; so I try to explain to him what I am doing (which doesn’t work well considering he cuts me off every 3 words), and this “trainer’s” opinion is that women should never train with heavy weights and he has them to 10 minutes of cardio before a workout and then circuit trains them to keep up the same heartrate as the cardio throughout the entire workout(140bpm). This is coming from a guy who insists if he cuts off the fan overhead while doing curls, he can cut short his own 10 minute cardio so he can stay ripped. I just laugh it off and say I’m happy with my current trainer (even comparing this guy to Swolecat makes me laugh inside). I don’t claim to be a top fitness expert, but you can at least look at me and tell I know what I’m doing. What insulted me is he assumed I knew nothing and took it upon himself to offer training me while not being open to hearing anything I had to say.

Not all trainers are like this, so I’m not going to say they are all know it all idiots… But when you find a good one, there are few and far between. What is really sad though, is that there are TONS of naive people who won’t get off their lazy butts to do any research prior to seeking professional help… So when a trainer puts them on machines and gives other “advice,” the person doesn’t know any better and actually carries out the routines. (And the trainee wonders why he doesn’t get any results). [/quote]

This is so true… especially that last sentence. Also, another reason why I just keep my mouth shut in the gym and don’t even bother pointing stuff out/talking to people about training. a) they don’t listen, b) they ignore you because they don’t like to hear the truth and/or c) in their eyes, you end up possibly coming off like your PT buddy, there.

so just worry about yourself and your training, invest in an iPod and everyone else in the gym can pretty much go f’ themselves.

[quote]apayne wrote:
Aleksandr wrote:

I wish I was a baller…[/quote]

I wish i had a girl. If I did, I would call her.