I HATE No Meat On Fridays

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Split wrote:
do you know why the catholic church did this? Where is catholocism centralized? Rome, italy. And rome is a coastal town and italy’s main “industry” back in the olden times was the fishing.

So in order to help out the fishermen, the church banned meat on one day, however allowing fish. May sound stupid but it is true, look it up. I probably explained it rough as it is late and i am dead tired but it is true nonetheless.

I thought the whole point was that you are giving something up for your God.

To me, if you’re by-passing that by eating other protein sources, easily, from fish, or protein powder, or eggs; it just doesn’t make sense, to me.

What are you giving up, and what are you sacrificing for your God, if you’re looking for an easy way to get around it?

It like fasting for your religion, but taking a pill that keeps you from feeling the hunger. It’s completely skipping the point, IMHO. [/quote]

Don’t know the reason behind lent, but the no meat on friday rule definitely came from that reasoning. Many religious rituals can be done in a way that skips the point, you have to answer to your own conscience for that.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
What are you giving up, and what are you sacrificing for your God, if you’re looking for an easy way to get around it?

It like fasting for your religion, but taking a pill that keeps you from feeling the hunger. It’s completely skipping the point, IMHO. [/quote]

I was brought up Catholic and was actually under the impression that you HAVE to eat fish on Fridays. Rather than it being a way of getting around an obligation, it is an obligation in itself.

Though to be honest I just went through my First Communion for the presents and never really went to Church again after the age of 10. Maybe I’m not the greatest of sources for Catholic info.

To the OP: make Fridays ‘Squats and Milk’ day. This will definitely add an auto-flagellatory edge to your, already punitive, Fridays.

i’m doing the same, and i’ve been sticking to a lot of different fish such as salmon, tuna, and mahi mahi and eating more eggs.

btw, who is that in your avatar?

If you hate no meat on fridays, you have the wrong mindset for lent. If your attitude sucks with the “no meat” idea then you are doing it for nothing. Your actions mean nothing without having the right attitude about the whole thing.

For those that missed it, there was a thread in mid-February that spent some time on the whole meatless Fridays during Lent topic.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1460038&pageNo=0

[quote]Split wrote:
do you know why the catholic church did this? Where is catholocism centralized? Rome, italy. And rome is a coastal town and italy’s main “industry” back in the olden times was the fishing.

So in order to help out the fishermen, the church banned meat on one day, however allowing fish. May sound stupid but it is true, look it up. I probably explained it rough as it is late and i am dead tired but it is true nonetheless. [/quote]

I never heard that. Rome has got to be at least 20 miles inland. Back in the old days that took a while to travel. This reasoning doesn’t ring true.

I would love to know the source or see a reference.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
For those that missed it, there was a thread in mid-February that spent some time on the whole meatless Fridays during Lent topic.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1460038&pageNo=0[/quote]

Cool. Thanks.

Why is it any different for someone to not eat meat on fridays for religion then because some nut job decided to? It’s more logical to listen to a group of nutjobs that lived over a millenium ago?

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
Yeah so I decided to stick to the no meat on fridays this year and I already hate it but I’m sticking to it no matter what.

I normally eat a lot of meat throughout the day but now that lent has started I can only take so much grilled cheese and peanut butter and jelly. For everyone else also attempting this feat of great proportions, what have you been eating to replace the meat??[/quote]

Where exactly in the Bible is this prohibition of meat on Fridays? To whom are you subjecting yourself to obey?

[quote]Taquito wrote:
Why is it any different for someone to not eat meat on fridays for religion then because some nut job decided to? It’s more logical to listen to a group of nutjobs that lived over a millenium ago?[/quote]

Religion isn’t about logic, it’s about faith.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Taquito wrote:
Why is it any different for someone to not eat meat on fridays for religion then because some nut job decided to? It’s more logical to listen to a group of nutjobs that lived over a millenium ago?

Religion isn’t about logic, it’s about faith.[/quote]

More importantly, his reasoning is irrelevant to the question, and none of our business.

To the OP:
Fish and eggs, as have already been mentioned. Protein powder, milk/cream, nuts/nut butter, etc.

I’m sure you can come up with plenty of protein from those sources and plenty of others one day a week. If not, it’s only from lack of creativity.

Try to not be so superstitious and have your meat on Friday’s.

No sex before marriage either. No contraception…except if your partner has HIV.

The rules change with the times, but very slowly. Why let some priest decide whats good for you? Cant we have faith without rules?

They say no masturbation because it doesn’t create life. I these rules are so out of date some young cool pope needs re write them.

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:
The rules change with the times, but very slowly. Why let some priest decide whats good for you? Cant we have faith without rules?[/quote]

But then you wouldn’t belong to a church now… would you? You wouldn’t be Catholic, Christian, Mormon… whatever.

You would have your own religion pretty much. And those who have a hot-line to speak to god (priests, missionaries, hippies on acid, prophets on flying horses, etc.) all agree that it results in eternal damnation.

I don’t think god is a person. I don’t see the need for organized religion.

[quote]ale69ness wrote:
btw, who is that in your avatar?[/quote]

Vida Guerra.

Hmm…As for the questions based toward religion, I don’t plan on answering those… not to sound like a jerk but I made this thread because I was just curious to what other people were eating in place of meat on fridays… not to spark a big religious debate on why or why not to eat meat on fridays.