T Nation

I HATE No Meat On Fridays

Yeah so I decided to stick to the no meat on fridays this year and I already hate it but I’m sticking to it no matter what.

I normally eat a lot of meat throughout the day but now that lent has started I can only take so much grilled cheese and peanut butter and jelly. For everyone else also attempting this feat of great proportions, what have you been eating to replace the meat??

Fish. Fish is OK. It’s Jesus approved! (Of loaves and fishes, that sort of thing)

I’ve tried it, and I basically did extra shakes and lots of milk. I found milk and eggs helped to take the edge off and satisfy me a bit longer, but ultimately it’s one hell of an accomplishment if you make it.

Oh come on. Do you really think it would make a difference if you ate meat?

I’ve been following Lent strictly my whole life, and I’ve never found it to be that difficult.

Tonight I had pecan crusted salmon from the PN manual.

If no fish were allowed, I would just make a big-ass omelette. As long as I wasn’t skimping out on protein, I wouldn’t even trip.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Oh come on. Do you really think it would make a difference if you ate meat?[/quote]

Everyone knows that you have to follow the church rules if you want to get into heaven.

Whether you are a good man or an evil man (or woman), as long as you follow the church rules and ask for forgiveness of all your sins just before you die… you get in.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Oh come on. Do you really think it would make a difference if you ate meat?[/quote]

“I refuse to believe that on judgement day my diet will come into question. ‘Hey God, I killed a bunch of kids, but I ate right!’”

To try to give a serious answer to the OP:

Eggs, fish (if that’s ok), some breads have a decent protein content, shakes, milk, beans, tofu (yeah it’s soy, but having it a couple of days out of the year ain’t gonna kill you), and nuts are all non-meat products that should help you get enough protein in.

If it comes down to steak or Jesus, Jesus loses big time.

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
Yeah so I decided to stick to the no meat on fridays this year and I already hate it but I’m sticking to it no matter what.

I normally eat a lot of meat throughout the day but now that lent has started I can only take so much grilled cheese and peanut butter and jelly. For everyone else also attempting this feat of great proportions, what have you been eating to replace the meat??[/quote]

Is this related to religion? If not, why are you doing it and what is the reasoning behind this?

Why not…

Lenten fasting and abstinence rules

  • Everyone 14 years of age or older is bound to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, all the Fridays of Lent and Good Friday.

  • Everyone 18 or older, and under 59 years of age, is bound to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

  • On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, only one full meatless meal is allowed. Two other meatless meals, sufficient to maintain strength, may be taken according to each one’s needs, but together they should not equal another full meal. Eating between meals is not permitted. When health or ability to work would be seriously affected, the law does not oblige.

  • Catholics should not lightly excuse themselves from these prescribed minimal penitential practices.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Is this related to religion? If not, why are you doing it and what is the reasoning behind this?[/quote]

Apparantelly Jeses only ate fish and grains and stuff.

So the church figures… if Jesus did that and he’s God’s boy, if we do like Jesus at least once a week we can suck up to God too, and then we get into heaven.

This is what I have understood so far, of coure if you ever ask a man of the cloth, this explanation would take at least 3 or 4 hours of preaching.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Is this related to religion? If not, why are you doing it and what is the reasoning behind this?[/quote]

Of course its related to religion sir, well the reasoning behind not eating meat on fridays… otherwise this thread really wouldn’t have a point… I would be some nut job who just decided not to eat meat on fridays.

Though the question I’m asking is not religious related; just was looking to see what other people were eating in place of meat.

I feel ya, ive been forced to eat plenty of fish and protein shakes today, but 20 minutes from now, im putting down some read meat, and its gonna be great.

–JB

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
Lenten fasting and abstinence rules

  • Everyone 14 years of age or older is bound to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, all the Fridays of Lent and Good Friday.

  • Everyone 18 or older, and under 59 years of age, is bound to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

  • On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, only one full meatless meal is allowed. Two other meatless meals, sufficient to maintain strength, may be taken according to each one’s needs, but together they should not equal another full meal. Eating between meals is not permitted. When health or ability to work would be seriously affected, the law does not oblige.

  • Catholics should not lightly excuse themselves from these prescribed minimal penitential practices.[/quote]

  • The reason is… (fill in the blank)

  • Those who do not follow the rules… (another blank)

[quote]biglift88 wrote:

Though the question I’m asking is not religious related; just was looking to see what other people were eating in place of meat.

[/quote]

Exactly. Stay on topic, guys. Start a new thread if you like.

-Zen

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Is this related to religion? If not, why are you doing it and what is the reasoning behind this?

Of course its related to religion sir, well the reasoning behind not eating meat on fridays… otherwise this thread really wouldn’t have a point… I would be some nut job who just decided not to eat meat on fridays.

Though the question I’m asking is not religious related; just was looking to see what other people were eating in place of meat.

[/quote]

This wouldn’t be the first time someone posted something that didn’t make sense which was exactly why I asked for clarification. If it is for religion, I respect that. If it was for nearly any other random reason, I was about to write something completely different.

As far as alternatives, I don’t know much about the restrictions of Lent so I won’t pretend to.

do you know why the catholic church did this? Where is catholocism centralized? Rome, italy. And rome is a coastal town and italy’s main “industry” back in the olden times was the fishing.

So in order to help out the fishermen, the church banned meat on one day, however allowing fish. May sound stupid but it is true, look it up. I probably explained it rough as it is late and i am dead tired but it is true nonetheless.

[quote]Split wrote:
do you know why the catholic church did this? Where is catholocism centralized? Rome, italy. And rome is a coastal town and italy’s main “industry” back in the olden times was the fishing.

So in order to help out the fishermen, the church banned meat on one day, however allowing fish. May sound stupid but it is true, look it up. I probably explained it rough as it is late and i am dead tired but it is true nonetheless. [/quote]

I thought the whole point was that you are giving something up for your God.

To me, if you’re by-passing that by eating other protein sources, easily, from fish, or protein powder, or eggs; it just doesn’t make sense, to me.

What are you giving up, and what are you sacrificing for your God, if you’re looking for an easy way to get around it?

It like fasting for your religion, but taking a pill that keeps you from feeling the hunger. It’s completely skipping the point, IMHO.

I gave up vegies for lent. Now each friday I murder a priest and eat his remains.