T Nation

I Hate Night Clubs

The damn music is too loud! I am surrounded by a bunch of fat guys in expensive clothes trying to look like they are having a good time while doing some epileptic imitation of a dance step. The smoke stinks like shit making it hard to breathe, and a god damn bud light cost me $4. You have to wait for ever to get a beer and then it is expected of you to leave a retarded tip for really bad service, just so if you actually wanted another beer, you might not get ignored. The girls are all snotty, and disrespect themselves by walking around in public like whores on shore day.
by the way-who writes that crap music they play anyway. It’s like somebody puts togther a diarehha of sounds and then plays it really loud while everybody is supposed to play along like they are having a good time. That music has absolutely no heart.
Maybe girls don’t talk to me because I am a 5-9 240lb goon with a look of absolute disgust on my face.
Call me oldfashioned, but When I go out with a group of people, I actually want to talk to them and hear what they have to say.
I think a really stupid person invented these places because there is no way you can have an intelligent conversation in one at all. Put a rocket scientist next to a complete moron and it wouldn’t make a bit of difference in one of these places. A god damn waste of time is what tonight was. 2 hours of my life I won’t be able to get back and a totally shit canned day tomorrow because I am only going to get to sleep right now, won’t wake up till late, and basically fart the precious opportunitiy of another day away.
Does anybody else feel the same way about night clubs as I do?

I will second that.

But there is a logic behind the madness.

One psychology professor told us that this setting is actually there to promote closeness. The loud music forces people to get closer to hear each other, therefore entering each other’s “safety bubble/radius”. Alcohol also helps the process. So you could call it forced intimacy.

Bull? Maybe not.

Go in the ‘intello’ bars, where there is no smoke, adequate lighting, low background music, and most people find it ‘cold’. I don’t. But then again, I have always been more ‘urban / loner’ than ‘outdoors / pack-animal /crowd-lover’ type of guy.

As for smoke, people don’t want to be told ‘No’ in non-inhibition land (bars). So, until the law forces bars to become non-smoking areas, no bar owner is going to try to police his clientele if need not be. Sure, they are 20% of the population, but they are a loud 20%. Bad publicity goes a long way. But I guess that can be offset or forgotten if the hottest babes in town happen to go there.

Smoking will be officially banned in Canberra (Australia’s capital) public places sometime next year. That means no smoking in pubs or clubs :slight_smile: apparently the law is there to protect the employees of these establishments. Long Live The Stanhope Government!!!

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
The damn music is too loud! I am surrounded by a bunch of fat guys in expensive clothes trying to look like they are having a good time while doing some epileptic imitation of a dance step. The smoke stinks like shit making it hard to breathe, and a god damn bud light cost me $4. You have to wait for ever to get a beer and then it is expected of you to leave a retarded tip for really bad service, just so if you actually wanted another beer, you might not get ignored. The girls are all snotty, and disrespect themselves by walking around in public like whores on shore day.
by the way-who writes that crap music they play anyway. It’s like somebody puts togther a diarehha of sounds and then plays it really loud while everybody is supposed to play along like they are having a good time. That music has absolutely no heart.
Maybe girls don’t talk to me because I am a 5-9 240lb goon with a look of absolute disgust on my face.
Call me oldfashioned, but When I go out with a group of people, I actually want to talk to them and hear what they have to say.
I think a really stupid person invented these places because there is no way you can have an intelligent conversation in one at all. Put a rocket scientist next to a complete moron and it wouldn’t make a bit of difference in one of these places. A god damn waste of time is what tonight was. 2 hours of my life I won’t be able to get back and a totally shit canned day tomorrow because I am only going to get to sleep right now, won’t wake up till late, and basically fart the precious opportunitiy of another day away.
Does anybody else feel the same way about night clubs as I do?
[/quote]

Mike…having worked in the past as a bouncer from years at various clubs…I share your thoughts.

The big question for me was…why the bleep do I keep working here…if I’m tired of all the BS. Women try to scam you with their “charms” to bypass paying cover/or ID problems. Of course the guys know they don’t have the same “charms” so they deal in cash or X…or whatever else they’re carrying to get inside to the babes.

Having lost a couple of good friends who were in the same industry as bouncers…and got shot for various reasons. One reason is because some punk was turned away at the door for being underage. He and his buddies went back to their car, drove by the door and shot my friend in the head and drove off. Yes?they were caught?tried and serving time.

I?ve had guns pulled on me more times than I care to count. These are considered “nice” clubs. I finally decided enough is enough, the money and the bullshit just wasn?t worth it. I haven’t been back in those environments since. I might go into a pub for a beer and talk to some buddies…bring my wife and kick back…but that’s it.

It boils down to choice bro. Don’t like it…don’t go.

Mike, where in Jersey did you go to a club?

I agree with “if you dont like it dont go.” I live in Massachusetts and luckily there is no smoking allowed in any building or any type of enclosed area. But I hate being jammed in a bar or club where everyone thinks their hot shit. All the girls are sluts,and think they are a gift from god when the only gift they could probably give is a case of herpes. All the guys think they are hard asses and I dont understand how if someone bumps into you, they look at you like they’ll fuck you up. Which I eyeball them right back and hope they would let me let out all my frustration on them by letting me beat their punk asses. But no asshole at a bar is worth going to jail for or getting stabbed. I like the nice place I can just relax, talk to my friends and not worry about some dickhead trying to hit on my girlfriend. A place where I could actually sit down and not be pinned up against half the population of the city. Clubs and bars are just not for me

People go to bars, clubs, etc. to be social, so how can you be social when the shit-ass music is so loud you can’t even hear yourself talk inside your own head let alone out loud? Another thing that sucks about night clubs besides five guys for every one girl is if they are packed elbow to elbow like a front row at a concert you got dumb assholes burning your clothes with their cigarettes and when someone comes shoving through the crowd you spill your drink on yourself or some eminem-wannabe punk that wants to “break you off” for it. I just go to irish bars-good music and great beer.

I hate clubs with a passion.

sorry for that message’s lack of coherence.
It was a mistake to go, but, it was my boss’s going away party and he lives in New Brunswick New Jersey so they wanted to do something close to his apartment.
We went out to the Stress Factory first to see an unknown comic and then Kevin Pollack came on. Both guys were really fantastic and funny as hell.
That part, I thought was great, I could have done that all night. Just sit back and drink some beers all night, sitting with my friends and bullshiting.
The problem is, and the way I got myself into this situation to begin with, is that my boss is really into the club scene. since my boss is a really great guy and has made me a lot of money in the past, I felt obligated to partake in his idea of a good time. My boss and his roomate look like those dudes in the style section of maxim magazine, with the designer clothes and gel etc. they really seem to have a good time at these places, I don’t know if they really like the clubs or it’s just because they pull so much ass there.
Because of my social commitments, I was trapped like a rat.
So I agree that if you don’t like the places, don’t go. however I felt obligated and when I got home I need to rant.
The name of the club was GAEBEL’s (sp?) it is in new brunswick right across the street from the stress factory. I was also pissed that they made us wait 20 minutes in the hallway to get in.

I agree with the poster on the irish pubs, that’s my idea of a good time too!
A funny story about clubs, when I went to a seminar in the city, there was this really nice guy there who happened to be a pro bodybuilder and a personal trainer. he was featured in the shoulder horn ads, but I unfortunately can’t remember his name. The last night of the seminar he invited a bunch of us out to a club with him but at the time I was in a cutting phase and wasn’t drinking any alcohol so I politely declined. He then shocked the hell out of me when he told me that he didn’t drink, do drugs, or dance either. When I asked him what he did do, he said that he just stood there with his shirt off and that was it. something that I don’t really understand.

Hiya Mike!

Ever thought about going to an open-air club? It’s amazing how the breeze can disperse smoke-fumes. Maybe that’s why most ppl go down to Florida. Clubbing, spring-break, and less smoke-filled public hang-outs, not to mention beautiful scenary. Smoking, banned in restaraunts. Hmmm… sounds like somebody needs a vacation!

You don’t get laid much do you !

hmmm…loud music and obnoxious drunks…loose women…AINT THAT WHAT YOURE SUPPOSED TO GOT TO CLUBS FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE?quit complaining

I know what you mean. I worked for a while as security and so, I have spent too much time standing around those places to ever enjoy spending time their for fun.

I feel bad cos my gf always wants me to come out with her friends, but I don’t smoke, don’t like to drink (much) and don’t like to hang out with the wankers I do.

But i’m the first to admit I’m anti-social that way. If you can bring yourself to enjoy it, you’ll have some good times. If you just can’t, then don’t bother going. Stay home and read a book or something.

As another who stayed out in the cold outside a bar or 2 i think the whole thing put me off (as a bouncer). Whilst many guys i know love going out, i am bored of it. i see the danger, the disorder, all the bad stuff and none of the good. It scares me, not petrified myself, but i notice all the loons that are out there off his/her tits gurning like a frog.

I dont tend to go out to clubs or even bars. this may make me a bit anti scial, but the cost, the agro and jsut hmy entire disgust of all the “beer money pckets, champagne tases” morons just makes me spit.

It seems like those who worked on doors are afflicted with this hatred,

is there something in this?

No, I think this applies to the bartenders too. The club scene is a lot of bullshit, period.

I was an ex doorman/ then bartender while in school. Too many skanks, too many assholes. Too much shady shit.

In short too much drama. Fun for a minute, and that’s about it.

Never been to a club and probably never will. Never had a need to. [sarcasm]I’ll probably catch an airborne STD or something [/sarcasm].

[quote]GERRY.P.SHARMAN wrote:
You don’t get laid much do you !

[/quote]

Not at those places. When I am in a pub, I do really well because I actually have something to say, so the lack of noise and intimate environment really works to my advantage.
Plus, I find that a different type of girl goes to a pub versus a club. I probably do better because I am genuinely atracted to the women I am talking to and that shines through so I send out a better “vibe” or “energy” to the girls.

I can’t stand clubs.

But I love girls.

And I’m charming as hell…

Clubs are hunting ground- go in there with ONE damn objective, get the girl, tell her to come back to your crib with your boy and her friends… drink, fuck. rinse repeat.

girls are there for that same reason- whether they know it or not.