T Nation

I Hate My F'ing Life!

Hey guys, I haven't really been active on this forum much and this is really just my second post.

Im 18 years old and i have hereditary pancreatitis, so im recommened to stick to a low fat and low protein diet!

MY BODYBUILDING LIFESTYLE IS ALREADY OVER BEFORE IT BEGAN :frowning:

This was my one opportunity of bettering my appearance but no, now i can't do shit. HOw am i supposed to build muscle on a low protein diet? Life fucking sucks.

.... i hate my fucking life......

you have it as in

you currently have the condition

OR

you are prone to it based on family history

were you given reasons WHY you should have that kind of diet? i’m not a medical expert in ANY sense of the word, but it all sounds little bit like crap to me.

it also sounds like you’re giving up before you’ve even tried. i’m SURE there are options that you haven’t exhausted or even looked into.

what is the recomended protein intake for your condition?

the upside would be you dont have pancreatic cancer

http://www.pancreas.org/

General dietary restriction (low protein, low fat diet) is 4th paragraph down.

Protein intake is limited to reduce protein plugs to pancreatic ducts. Pancreatic ducts are transport routes by which pancreatic digestive enzymes are release to your small intestinal tracts. Duct blockade causes digestive issue, and backup of digestive enzyme and fluids that can further aggravate pancreatic inflammation.

http://www.pancreasfoundation.org/cgi/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=learn_genetics.db&command=viewone&id=2&op=t

Hereditary Pancreatitis

Hereditary Pancreatitis (HP) is a rare genetic condition characterized by recurrent episodes of pancreatic attacks, which can progress to chronic pancreatitis. Symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Onset of attacks typically occurs between within the first two decades of life, but can begin at any age.

In the United States, it is estimated that at least 1,000 individuals are affected with hereditary pancreatitis.

HP has also been linked to an increased lifetime risk of pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer is the 4th most leading cause of cancer deaths among Americans. Individuals with hereditary pancreatitis appear to have a 40% lifetime risk to develop pancreatic cancer.

This increased risk is heavily dependent upon the duration of chronic pancreatitis and environmental exposures to alcohol and smoking. One recent study suggested that individuals with chronic pancreatitis for more than 25 years had a higher rate of pancreatic cancer when compared to individuals in the general population.

This increased rate appears to be due to the prolonged chronic pancreatitis rather than having a gene mutation (all cationic trypsinogen mutations). It is important to note that these risk values may be higher than expected because these studies on pancreatic cancer use a highly selective population rather than a randomly selected population.

At this time, there is no cure for HP. Treating the symptoms associated with HP is the choice method of medical management. Patients may be prescribed pancreatic enzyme supplements to treat maldigestion, insulin to treat diabetes, analgesics and narcotics to control pain, and lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer (for example, NO SMOKING!).

Dietary recommendations to help control pain with digestion include the consumption of small meals throughout the day that are high in carbohydrates and low in protein and fat. Pancreatic enzymes such as Creon, Pancrease, and Violiase are helpful in providing improved digestion and a reduction in diarrhea and pain for some patients with more advanced disease.

Exposure to smoking and alcohol are known to dramatically increase the risk for pancreatic attacks among individuals with HP. Smoking is strongly discouraged as it doubles the risk for pancreatic cancer. Similarly, alcohol consumption is not recommended for these patients because alcohol is a known risk factor for both acute and chronic pancreatitis. Therefore it is recommended that all HP patients avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.

my coach always tells us to never say never. just when you think you cant do something you have to look at what you can do. dont give up so quickly and find other alternatives.

emma

fuck it, try anyway! you’ll at least have a shit ton of energy from all the carbs. :wink:

post a log, do rippetoes. i wanna see you progress.

That sucks…but you can still workout and lift weights. If anything, the fact that you’re on a low protein diet is a good reason to workout, because you want to maintain as much muscle as possible.

Life’s always throwing people curve balls. It’s just the nature of things. The true test of ones character is how they handle it.

In your situation you can still work on getting as strong as possible. Certain athletes have been known to display impressive physiques while living on relatively shitty diets (eg. gymnasts).

If you ever found a loophole, or better yet a cure was developed, you would be in the ideal condition to pack on muscle with your relative strength maximized.

I’ve seen highschool kids get big on a beer, pizza & cheerios diet.

I know several climbers who consume a diet as low in protein as possible to avoid weight gain, who still look like a walking anatomy chart because they have no visible bodyfat.

There are several people who have to work around limitations of some kind, just try to make the best of it.

Well, thats a dick biter. Go for it though!

How low is low on the protein intake?

Personally I would say f’it and eat how I’m not supposed to and cut back when I start getting really ill. That is probably not the best idea, at all.

Then don’t be a bodybuilder. Bodybuilding isn’t terribly healthy anyway.

You don’t NEED a high-protein diet to be healthy or good looking. Just keep lifting. If you get big then you get big. If you don’t then you don’t. Them’s the breaks.

High-protein diets are great for many things, but as others have pointed out, they are not the end-all of being large, and being large is not the end-all of health, fitness or attractiveness–not by a long shot.

This may sound really stupid, but when my uncle was in the soviet military he lived off of what was practically just soup and bread, and managed to become pretty big just by eating as much as humanly possible and training like his life depended on it (it did).

So don’t let the world pull you down. It aint over until the fat lady sings.

Modern medicine is in large part a bunch of quacks pretending their experts… how else can you explain a system based on managing disease but not curing it… Drugs will never do a body good and the FDA can suck a f–king dick.

why dont you talk to your doctor and find out what he suggests you do if you want to get larger.

You’re going to need proteins period, there is probably some sort of alternative, some sort of injection or something.

Go for it anyways