T Nation

I Hate Cancer!

This may seem like an obvious statement. I mean, who does like cancer anyway?
I am just really pissed off right here, right now, because of something that just happened.
On another thread about front squatting, there is a reference to a man named J.V. Askem (sp?). I checked some of this guys articles out and I found them to be incredibly informative and well done. I was going to email him to thank him for his work as well as recommend he send something into this site. When I got to his e-mail address I noticed that the site said that he died of a brain tumor almost 3 years ago while only in his fifties.
WTF!
this guy looked like a stud and had some pretty good numbers, in most lifts, much better than mine. And yet despite how strong he was, friggin cancer killed him anyway. He actually has an article up showing his tumor before surgery, after surgery, and then it comming back again with a sentence underneath apologizing for any spelling errors due to memory loss from the cancer eating at his brain. I don’t know about you, but For whatever reason I felt really sad for about this. I think it takes a real t-man to apologize for spelling errors as he is still writing articles about something he loves despite the fact he is dying from a brain tumor.
It might also have to do with the fact that I have a close friend who is a little younger then mr. askem who is dying from cancer also.
I don’t know where I am going with this, maybe I just needed to vent.
Maybe the question can be, what can the average, everyday T-Nation member do to fight off cancer? (besides pick his parents better)

Geez, I hear you Mike and I am woefully short on answers. My girlfriend is in her 2nd year of fighting chronic myeloid leukemia and one of my best friends was also diagnosed with leukemia about 2 1/2 months ago. You want to fight for them, but you feel completely powerless at times because what can you do? You provide love, support and hope (which all do a long way). The other thing I am big on is donating blood. I’m not sure the average person appreciates how necessary blood transfusions/platelet transfusions are for people with leukemia.

I sit here and shake my head about the madness of it all, that my beautiful, wonderful GF has this happen to her (she is only 25 now) and my best friend has it hit him at 32.

Not sure I helped much, but just so you know, there are more of us out there going through the same thing.

Kuz

  • Return with honor.

First off I think you should avoid any foods with suspiciously long shelf lives ie. commercial vegetable oils, as well as avoiding the obvious shit like candy and processed foods with truckloads of extra ingredients and preservatives.

People in my family have died of cancer, so I’m pretty fucking paranoid about my health…you really have to work at it and do a lot of research.

Anyway that’s my contribution, anyone else?

it doesn’t fucking matter. At all. I know a 7 or 8 year old who’s got a big ass tumor growing in the front of his brain, wrapping it’s greedy fucking tentacles around his optic nerves–see, they can’t cut it out and kill it this way–it’s smart, it knows…and the 26 year old woman who takes care of my grandmother, she just had a tumor cut out of her brain–last weekend in fact–an inch by three inches. That’s pretty darn big.

It doesn’t matter.
Cancer’s evil, and it’s alive. It’s like what DeNiro’s character says about fire in the movie Backdraft.
It eats, and it hates…

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
Maybe the question can be, what can the average, everyday T-Nation member do to fight off cancer? (besides pick his parents better) [/quote]

Cancer is probably THE most cruel thing that can happen to anyone, so I feel your pain. I’m an associate professor at Stanford, and as you might know Stanford does extensive Cancer research, so regularly have conversations with colleagues about it. It’s depressing.

Everybody is constantly developing small cancers in their body – the difference is that some people have immune systems that will quickly kill the rogue cells, while others – because of their genes or the stuff they put in their body – won’t.

So, in fact, you covered the single most important factor: genetics; and indeed the next really promising step in cancer research is gene therapy.

Other than that, you can do two things: not get exposed to really bad agents like smoke, and get checked regularly. Don’t be afraid of the doctor; for example, bodybuilders are especially at risk of colon cancer, and even if a colonoscopy requires leaving your pride at the door, it’s worth it.

All the other crap – exactly what you eat, how much mercury you get from food, etc, is, in the end, much less relevant; the fact is that if you had bad genes you WILL get a cancer anyway, and if you have good genes, even if you do get it, as long as you doctor catches it early you’ll be OK.

Whilst I have no proof or evidence that this works, the www.vitaminCfoundation.org promote very high doses of C - up to 18grams for a healthy male - way beyond the .25gms recommended by the US FDA.
They suggest that extreme doses may oxidise and kill tumers (up to 150grams a day)
Best wishes and good luck to all of you who are fighting, and supporting those who are fighting this disease.

Cure Magazine ( http://www.curetoday.com/ ). Great magazine for family members, those who have cancer or people who want to learn more about it.

Has a real personal side of cancer as well as the latest research and latest treatments.

I sell cancer diagnostic equipment and MD Anderson in Houston is my biggest client. This magazine really helps me put into perspective what I am doing to help people with cancer. It also helps me with educating me on the latest research and treatments.

guys, thanks alot, this is all really good stuff. I agree that cancer seems like it is alive and it is evil. In my friends case, she had it several years ago, it went away with no symptoms for sometime, and now it is back, aggressive as hell, almost like an evil bastard just taking a shit all over her body.
Whomever stated genetics probably hit this case on the button since my friend has a family history of this type of cancer in the women in her family. Her mother died of the same exact disease.
Another friend of mine saw his wife of 38 years die of cancer about 5 years ago. The thing that sucked is that he is a medical doctor. I think it sucked extra for him because as a man (a real t-man anyway) he felt it was his job to protect his wife. that may seem old fashioned and sexist to some but I am sure the guys on this forum know what I mean by this. I think it sucked extra for this guy because he fought through vietnam as a field combat solider for over a year, worked his way through medical school while also working at night, and he is a tough t-man through and through. He can be tough when he needs to be, but he can also be nurturing to his children almost all the other time.
I think it really sucked for him because his job was to protect his wife but also he was in a profession that we would consider the best defense against this stuff, and he still couldn’t do anything about it but watch his wife die.
I hate freakin cancer and it pisses me off that this disease:
doesn’t care if you are an innocent child
doesn’t care how strong or tough you are, cancer will go after a guy like dave tate as quick as it will go after pee wee herman.
doesn’t seem like it is going to stop anytime soon.

p.s.
why are bodybuilders at a higher risk for colon cancer?

I had no idea they used blood for people fighting leukemia…I have donated for years and now have one more reason to donate…and push others to do so.

If you are interested in being a donor you should look into being a stem cell (bone marrow) donor for cancer patients. Stem cell transplants are one of the few options for people with lymphoma and luekemia. These are adult stem cells, not the controversial embryonic stem cells. My husband just went through a stem cell transplant for his lymphoma.

This is how it works:
They harvest stem cells from a donor (allogenic transplant)or as in my husbands case (autologous)from the patient. The donor or patient is given a growth factor that makes their body pump out these stem cells so that they are released from your bone marrow and into your blood stream. The blood is collected and the stem cells filtered out through a process not unlike dialysis. The filtered blood is returned to the person. The stem cells are then frozen. The patient is then admitted into the hospital for approximately three weeks where they are kept in a separate ward and given massive doses of chemotherapy. The chemo kills all your bone marrow, wipes out your immune system and hopefully kills the cancer.

This process would kill you if they couldn’t give you stem cells back to regrow your bone marrow. Side effects are very bad. Nausea, mouth sores, diarrhea, etc. They then give you the stem cells they had frozen and after about a week to ten days the stem cells begin to grow into bone marrow. The person is very immune compromised for at least a month after that. It really wipes you out. It’s been about two and a half months since my husbands transplant and he has good days and bad days. But he overcomes it and makes his way to the gym to try to take his life back.

So, donors are needed. Look into registering. Check with the Lymphoma society on how to do this. Unlike many cancers, luekemia and lymphoma are inoperable and a patients only hope is chemo or radiation therapy.

Just a couple of thoughts here Mike. First my condolences to your friend, thats a shame. In my opinion, the guy in the white coat, ie. your doctor is not the one that can do the most in this situation. YOU can.

All the medical field has figured out is how to slice it out, radiate you until your immune system is shot and/or give you all kinds of synthetic drug medications that are questionable at best. There is no increase in mean time life expectancy for those that go through chemo with those who don’t. Cancer is a chronic infection–THE chronic infection. It is what happens when the body is nutrient deficient for a long time and leaves an infection process ongoing.

For example if you get a viral infection and your doctor gives you a round of antibiotics( completely useless for a virus but I’ve seen it) then you’ve never really killed off that infection but set the stage for further infection. I work in a “natural health” field where we have seen in the hundreds maybe thousand of these types of cases and yes have seen all kinds of cancer beaten. Without slicing and dicing the person to do so. The human body is a miraculous thing–given the chance to heal itself. You are seeing more and more people getting cancer at even younger ages.

Sorry but the genetic thing is a cop out. The Human genome project concluded that 35% of your own gene deck is viruses. That means you may have the cancer virus already in your gene deck but it is just waiting for some kind of chemical or otherwise offense to express itself. Unfortunately we are under attack on all fronts as far as chemicals and other toxins thanks to our society of convenience and corporate greed.

Mike, to answer your PS question–why wouldn’t they. Who else do you think has more pounds of undigested rotiing food in their bowels than someone who downs tons of milk and meat?

Mike,

I am right there with you. Was diagnosed with breast cancer on Christmas Eve last year at 34. I got lucky though. They thought the tumor was 5-6CM which would’ve been definate chemo and radiation (is that what kills you and not the cancer?) but it turned out to be 3 small tumors all under 1 CM (barely).

Now I am going thru reconstruction, one more surgery and trying to stay in the fitness “circle”. I was just given clearance to lift last week but they don’t think that flipping tires or clean and jerks should be going on right now. (I have to agree, my strength still isn’t there and there is residual pain in the chest).

I was just thinking today that I should do a thread on the Vixen site about my return to competitive fitness…

I also agree with others who said that you shouldn’t eat foods with long shelf lives. I have also done plenty of reading on sugar and the relation to cancer. One of the tests I had done used a glucose seeking radioactive agent. Avoiding these foods might help in some of the cancers but probably not in the young kids :frowning:

Plenty of research and good findings out there with more being published almost daily.

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
This may seem like an obvious statement. I mean, who does like cancer anyway?
I am just really pissed off right here, right now, because of something that just happened.
On another thread about front squatting, there is a reference to a man named J.V. Askem (sp?). I checked some of this guys articles out and I found them to be incredibly informative and well done. I was going to email him to thank him for his work as well as recommend he send something into this site. When I got to his e-mail address I noticed that the site said that he died of a brain tumor almost 3 years ago while only in his fifties.
WTF!
this guy looked like a stud and had some pretty good numbers, in most lifts, much better than mine. And yet despite how strong he was, friggin cancer killed him anyway. He actually has an article up showing his tumor before surgery, after surgery, and then it comming back again with a sentence underneath apologizing for any spelling errors due to memory loss from the cancer eating at his brain. I don’t know about you, but For whatever reason I felt really sad for about this. I think it takes a real t-man to apologize for spelling errors as he is still writing articles about something he loves despite the fact he is dying from a brain tumor.
It might also have to do with the fact that I have a close friend who is a little younger then mr. askem who is dying from cancer also.
I don’t know where I am going with this, maybe I just needed to vent.
Maybe the question can be, what can the average, everyday T-Nation member do to fight off cancer? (besides pick his parents better) [/quote]

sorry to hear about your friend, cancer truly is evil.
not sure if anyone is interested but a BBC journalist wrote about his ongoing battle with a brain tumour .it was quite touching to see him talk about his new born child and his will to see her grow up. his last entry is here(his previous entries are just to the right)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4211475.stm
Although it killed him in the end, in his final entry he showed he was anything but defeated.

[quote]storey420 wrote:

Mike, to answer your PS question–why wouldn’t they. Who else do you think has more pounds of undigested rotiing food in their bowels than someone who downs tons of milk and meat?

[/quote]

Here comes the vegan hijack. I was set to argue this point, but decided against it since it gets too far away from the pain being vented away for which this thread was started. I am interested, however, in the real reasons that bodybuilders would be at higher risk (in other words, substantiated reasons)as I’m sure many others on this site are.

DB

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
why are bodybuilders at a higher risk for colon cancer?[/quote]

Because of all the protein they eat. Remember that a huge % of most protein sources doesn’t get properly digested, and the colon takes a huge beating.

If you want empirical evidence (besides all the stats that point in that direction), think about the fact that most bodybuilders fart a lot and spend an unusually high % of their life in restrooms.

The good news is that colon cancer is highly treatable if regular colonoscopies are performed; in fact, people only die of colon cancer if they were too lazy or too proud to undergo regular colonoscopies.

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
Whomever stated genetics probably hit this case on the button since my friend has a family history of this type of cancer in the women in her family.[/quote]

While there is some corrolation, it is not so cut and dried.

My wife battled breast cancer last year. Fortunately, it was caught very early. She had a lumpectomy followed by a long round of radiation. She presently has been given a clean bill of health, but we are always wondering. She has zero history of cancer in her family! And the surgeon who performed the lumpectomy mentioned that she has experienced a high increase over the past several years of patients who can find no family history of cancer.

Yes, it sucks!

[quote]hspder wrote:
MikeShank wrote:
why are bodybuilders at a higher risk for colon cancer?

Because of all the protein they eat. Remember that a huge % of most protein sources doesn’t get properly digested, and the colon takes a huge beating.

If you want empirical evidence (besides all the stats that point in that direction), think about the fact that most bodybuilders fart a lot and spend an unusually high % of their life in restrooms.

The good news is that colon cancer is highly treatable if regular colonoscopies are performed; in fact, people only die of colon cancer if they were too lazy or too proud to undergo regular colonoscopies.

[/quote]
Merriam Webster defines empirical as “relying on experience or observation alone often without due regard for system and theory”.

While your statement, “the fact that most bodybuilders fart a lot and spend an unusually high % of their life in restrooms.” does indeed fit this definition, I don’t find it to be enlightening or helpful in understanding how bodybuilders are supposedly at higher risk for cancer. I’m not aware of any studies that show that bb’s colons are clogged at a higher rate than the normal population, or that bb’s have a higher incidence of cancer than the population, than I will disregard future statements such as this.

DB

[quote]storey420 wrote:
Just a couple of thoughts here Mike. First my condolences to your friend, thats a shame. In my opinion, the guy in the white coat, ie. your doctor is not the one that can do the most in this situation. YOU can.

All the medical field has figured out is how to slice it out, radiate you until your immune system is shot and/or give you all kinds of synthetic drug medications that are questionable at best. There is no increase in mean time life expectancy for those that go through chemo with those who don’t. Cancer is a chronic infection–THE chronic infection. It is what happens when the body is nutrient deficient for a long time and leaves an infection process ongoing.

For example if you get a viral infection and your doctor gives you a round of antibiotics( completely useless for a virus but I’ve seen it) then you’ve never really killed off that infection but set the stage for further infection. I work in a “natural health” field where we have seen in the hundreds maybe thousand of these types of cases and yes have seen all kinds of cancer beaten. Without slicing and dicing the person to do so. The human body is a miraculous thing–given the chance to heal itself. You are seeing more and more people getting cancer at even younger ages.

Sorry but the genetic thing is a cop out. The Human genome project concluded that 35% of your own gene deck is viruses. That means you may have the cancer virus already in your gene deck but it is just waiting for some kind of chemical or otherwise offense to express itself. Unfortunately we are under attack on all fronts as far as chemicals and other toxins thanks to our society of convenience and corporate greed.

Mike, to answer your PS question–why wouldn’t they. Who else do you think has more pounds of undigested rotiing food in their bowels than someone who downs tons of milk and meat?

[/quote]

You’ve made some pretty serious claims here.
Please list your degrees and credentials so that I may be able to discern if you actually know what you are talking about or if you are another twenty-something year-old kid working in a health food store.

For Gojira— I work for a doctor that runs two chronic care centers where most of what we see is worst case scenario, I’ve been everywhere else type of people. We use a non invasive technique to scan the organ/gland systems to find dysfunction and treat the people with nutraceuticals and exogenous detoxification protocols. No I am not a 20 yr old at a health food store but no I do not have a title behind my name to give people that need that validation. I am working on my CCN to be followed most likely with an ND. I have seen all kinds of “incurable” cases and many that were told by their regular practitioners or hospital that there was nothing that can be done. Don’t get me wrong Im not all against allopathic medicine. If you break your leg, you’re in the best place to get that fixed–go to a hospital. However I do feel and have witnessed time after time that allopathic medicine is cluless when it comes to chronic care. Like I said in my post, the body is an amazing machine when given the tools and environment to heal itself. Giving someone synthetic drug medications and/or carving out pieces of infection is not said environment. With cancer you really have to correct all the issues to truly win. Just zapping tissue into remission or cutting it out does not do anything to prevent the cancer’s return and in most cases, speeds that process up.

Oh yeah for Dollarbill–I am definitely not a vegan. I’m just being honest. Eating the way that most bodybuilders do, will put you in a higher risk category for colon cancer.

[quote]storey420 wrote:

Oh yeah for Dollarbill–I am definitely not a vegan. I’m just being honest. Eating the way that most bodybuilders do, will put you in a higher risk category for colon cancer.[/quote]

I’m still not buying your argument. Actually, it’s not an argument, rather a claim, since you have nothing to back it up. How many bodybuilders have you treated for cancer in your shop?