I Guess I Am a Bad Person...

[quote]Todd23 wrote:

Good point. If we made choices on where to live in this country based on risk, the entire country would have to move to Iowa or Kansas.

Tornados[/quote]

Exactly, I learned my lesson from the Wizard of Oz!

And Iowa? That stands for Idiots Out Walking Around.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
LBRTRN wrote:
I say people should be allowed to own and/or build property wherever they want…they just shouldnt be surprised, or expect the government to rebuild for them, if a natural disaster destroys everything they own.

Agreed.

What about making another Venice? [/quote]

I like that idea! How cool would that be!?

Also, NO is a very important port of trade for the US - I think roughly 20%of our imports come through there.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Also, NO is a very important port of trade for the US - I think roughly 20%of our imports come through there.

[/quote]

There are parts of it not under water, Couldn’t all the ships just pick a different dock?

I realize none of this is actually going to happen, just thinking about stuff. I’m tired of all the blame threads…

If you look at the pictures from Miss. everything is just gone, but alteast it is dry. The whole way NO was built seems wrong. I can’t believe anyone approved it.

[quote]There are parts of it not under water, Couldn’t all the ships just pick a different dock?

I realize none of this is actually going to happen, just thinking about stuff. I’m tired of all the blame threads…

If you look at the pictures from Miss. everything is just gone, but alteast it is dry. The whole way NO was built seems wrong. I can’t believe anyone approved it. [/quote]

It was “approved” a couple hundred years ago.

New Orleans is an old city (for this country at least). This may be a time to fix some of the inherent problems.

I am afraid politics may trump engineering in this case.

It appears the lowest lying areas are also among the poorest.

To rebuild in certain spots and not others, no matter how valid trhe reason will draw a firestorm of criticism.

This may shape up to be a no win situation.

[quote]MrWhite wrote:
There are parts of it not under water, Couldn’t all the ships just pick a different dock?

If you look at the pictures from Miss. everything is just gone, but alteast it is dry. The whole way NO was built seems wrong. I can’t believe anyone approved it.

It was “approved” a couple hundred years ago.

[/quote]

I dont remember the exact details but my history prof mentioned that the city planner was actually warned about the dangers of building on that location but chose to ignore the warnings.

[quote]LBRTRN wrote:
I say people should be allowed to own and/or build property wherever they want…they just shouldnt be surprised, or expect the government to rebuild for them, if a natural disaster destroys everything they own. [/quote]

Except I wonder how insurance companies would react. Scratch that… I wonder how they will react going forward. On that alone it might become prohibitively expensive to re-build New Orleans. I cannot even imagine the premiums for businesses, government, private residences, etc.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
LBRTRN wrote:
I say people should be allowed to own and/or build property wherever they want…they just shouldnt be surprised, or expect the government to rebuild for them, if a natural disaster destroys everything they own.

Except I wonder how insurance companies would react. Scratch that… I wonder how they will react going forward. On that alone it might become prohibitively expensive to re-build New Orleans. I cannot even imagine the premiums for businesses, government, private residences, etc.[/quote]
I heard on the news this morning that insurance co’s. will be determining if damage is due to wind or flooding. If it’s flooding, standard insurance won’t cover it. They also said that roughly only 20% of N.O. had flood insurance. Sound like a lot of people will recieve $0 reimbursment.