I Got My Dead-Squat Bar Today

imma so exited. even though i had just squatted and pulled this morning, i had to play around with it, i loaded it with 125kg and busted out 10 reps, felt great. gonna give it a few days and try to hit a big (for me) number, 230-250kg at least later this week.

Heavythrower i was wondering what the approx. width from handle to handle is.Im going to buy one but wanted to make sure that my arms wouldn't be to far spread out.Kinda hard to explain but im a ground hugger 5.2-5.3 with short t-rex arms and didn’t know if when gripping my arms would be to spread out away form my body if that makes any sense.Ya i could ride your dog like a pony haha,thanks for your help.

from griping handle to handle? i am not sure ill check. 26 inches from inside one handle to the next. i am a midget, and i do not feel uncomfortable with the grip width, for what it is worth.

the weird angle the handles are cut at somehow makes the pull smoother, and seems to be much more stable that with the straight handles on a conventional trap bar. not sure how that works, it just does. maybe one of the moderators can answer that.

Thats perfect,you pretty much summed up what i was wondering.Once again Thanks for your help.

anytime…it is a great bar, i hope they do well so they keep it in production so others will get the chance to buy/use it.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
anytime…it is a great bar, i hope they do well so they keep it in production so others will get the chance to buy/use it.
[/quote]

Well I did see quite a few new ones getting into the warehouse yesterday…

love the bar!

hmmm having trouble embeding

i give up…lol

love the bar![/quote]
I bet,i ordered mine yesterday.

from griping handle to handle? i am not sure ill check. 26 inches from inside one handle to the next. i am a midget, and i do not feel uncomfortable with the grip width, for what it is worth.

the weird angle the handles are cut at somehow makes the pull smoother, and seems to be much more stable that with the straight handles on a conventional trap bar. not sure how that works, it just does. maybe one of the moderators can answer that. [/quote]

Is the handle angle the best thing about it? Do you notice any other differences?

The Dead-Squat bar is quite different when placed next to a standard trap bar. Photo by Ben Bruno.

jdrannin - the grip angle allows for a much greater activation of the lats and a generally more mechanically advantageous postion for pulling from the floor compared to a straight bar lift.

On top of that the bar will hold more weight than you are ever likely to lift - in excess of 1000 lbs and it is designed to fit into a power rack which opens up the options of doing partial pulls as well as bench press variations from pins, overhead presses, pullups, dips etc. The grip position is also really nice for deadstart rowing.

If you are asking about differences in terms of comparing this bar to a regular trap bar there just is no comparision at all. This one is much more versatile and will handle much higher loads than a regular bar. The knurling is top-notch as well - think Eleiko Olympic bar quality.

If you have the funds to spare it is a great purchase. I use mine almost every workout currently.

[quote]dave-g wrote:
jdrannin - the grip angle allows for a much greater activation of the lats and a generally more mechanically advantageous postion for pulling from the floor compared to a straight bar lift.

On top of that the bar will hold more weight than you are ever likely to lift - in excess of 1000 lbs and it is designed to fit into a power rack which opens up the options of doing partial pulls as well as bench press variations from pins, overhead presses, pullups, dips etc. The grip position is also really nice for deadstart rowing.

If you are asking about differences in terms of comparing this bar to a regular trap bar there just is no comparision at all. This one is much more versatile and will handle much higher loads than a regular bar. The knurling is top-notch as well - think Eleiko Olympic bar quality.

If you have the funds to spare it is a great purchase. I use mine almost every workout currently.[/quote]

Thanks man! I think you just sold me.

For anyone who uses the bar, what angle of grip do you prefer? Do you like to use the grips with handles angling inward or outward?

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
For anyone who uses the bar, what angle of grip do you prefer? Do you like to use the grips with handles angling inward or outward? [/quote]

It’s made for inward grip, following the natural 15 degree angle of your arm/hand hang. But Ben Bruno, who’s come up with over 20 unique exercises for the Dead-Squat bar, has one or two where the “outward” grip is better he feels. For its primary purpose, the dead-squat exercise, inward.

Thanks Chris!

I think CT said he uses the outward grip for bench pressing from pins. Of course, both work and alternating them after a few weeks is probably a good thing to do.

Update

[quote]health4ni wrote:
I think CT said he uses the outward grip for bench pressing from pins. Of course, both work and alternating them after a few weeks is probably a good thing to do.[/quote]

When doing bench press from pins I use the grip where my pinky fingers are wider than my thumbs, when I do overhead pressing I use the opposite.