I Got a Problem? MONEY vs FREEDOM

This could arguably be either the best or worst time to buy a home. You have to look at the homes in the location of where you are looking, and the value. Get a foreclosure if you can. I would go with what area you like better. You can always change the home, but not the location. Like steal estate agents say, “location, location, location.” Seriously though, I would go with something closer to work/friends/family because I hate sitting in a car any longer than I have to.

I commute about an hour and 15 minutes each way to work, five days a week. Through construction even. I don’t really mind the commute, other than the time it takes away from other things. I listen to books on CD, use the time to clear my mind and get ready to transition from home to work or vice versa. Of course I am commuting through some of the most stunning gorgeous scenery imaginable.

Mission Church in St. Ignatius

You wouldn’t get freedom in your own home?

Option #1
Buy the $50k house
Finish it
Sell it
???
Profit

Buy 140k house

Option #2
Buy the $50k house
Finish it
Live in it
Sell it after 2 years (no capital gains tax if you live in it over at least 2 years)
Profit

Option #3
Buy both, rent out the 50k house. May need some help with funds (mom and pop maybe)

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
My husband had a one hour commute for a year. It was hell. I wouldn’t recommend it.[/quote]

I had a 3 hour(round trip) commute for 2 years. Fucking sucked.
Now i moved and i’m 5 minutes away from everything. It’s great :slight_smile:

Are there really only 2 houses for sale?

I will never commute more than 30 minutes. I did 45 minutes for 4 months and swore that off. I’m a busy young man with things to do, driving so much takes away from all that. Dog, gym, girlfriend, dry cleaning, cleaning the apartment, groceries, cooking lots of food, relaxation.

Now: work, wal-mart, optometrist, doctor, veterinarian, movies are all within 5 minutes. Gym and girlfriend are 15 minutes away. Life is way too short to drive fucking cars many hours a week.

WOW thanks!! You all make such good points…I’m still not sure now, I notice you get alot better home if you commute for the price…but 1 hr is such a long time…I still live at home with my parents and I have been commuting for like 3-4 years through school/now working and it does suck sometimes, but it might be worth it…ahhhh Maybe I’ll go to a psychic for the anwser!!

[quote]RoboRobi wrote:
WOW thanks!! You all make such good points…I’m still not sure now, I notice you get alot better home if you commute for the price…but 1 hr is such a long time…I still live at home with my parents and I have been commuting for like 3-4 years through school/now working and it does suck sometimes, but it might be worth it…ahhhh Maybe I’ll go to a psychic for the anwser!![/quote]

What does your psychic bench?

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
RoboRobi wrote:
WOW thanks!! You all make such good points…I’m still not sure now, I notice you get alot better home if you commute for the price…but 1 hr is such a long time…I still live at home with my parents and I have been commuting for like 3-4 years through school/now working and it does suck sometimes, but it might be worth it…ahhhh Maybe I’ll go to a psychic for the anwser!!

What does your psychic bench?[/quote]

225…

[quote]RoboRobi wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
RoboRobi wrote:

What does your psychic bench?

225…
[/quote]

Pussy, find a stronger psychic.

From the little bit I know, my recommendation is buy the $50,000 house, pay it off, rent it out and use the proceeds to buy yourself a 200,000 house later on that is close. 2 years really isn’t that long in the scheme of things. The time goes by quickly.

Who knows, maybe you can telecommute, do alternate work weeks (like 4-10 hour days), etc. once you get established thereby making life even easier still.