T Nation

I Give Up

Before you judge me on my hobbies while I am bored, I do have to say that there are some questions that are worth answering on Yahoo! Answers, but just being on there for 20 minutes you realize how doomed we are.

I know that there are a shit load of threads about people complaining about how uninformed people are which is why I haven’t posted this a lot sooner. I thought there was enough complaining, but now I just could not keep it to myself.

Pretty much every question I answer I contradict everyone else. One question asked how much a teen should eat. Some answers said 1500 calories. What the hell? Someone going through the biggest physical changes of their life should eat less than people trying to lose weight?

I stop going back. Maybe I am just hoping that one day the entire population will realize how dumb they were and change, but alas, that day has not come and never will. The thing that really makes me disappointed is that these are people who are looking for ways to be healthy and extend their life, but with the answers they are getting they will be sure to die much earlier.

I also have the urge to hand out this website on every answer just because some questions and people’s understandings are too horrible convoluted, but then I realize that if I do there will be no hope for the restoration of a love of lifting and eating here.

Why I’m writing this, I don’t know. Maybe because I have spent way too much time there. I am just always shocked at the misinformation out there, and I want to help clear up confusion; however, as I am always the odd one out on the answers, many times they are disregarded for the more popular but incorrect option.

I needed to write this down because I was afraid I might just give up on humanity if I couldn’t write this down.

You may ignore this or reply with the usual replies commenting on how stupid I am. I don’t mind. I just needed to say something.

I feel the same way about that site. I only managed to stay there for a week before I gave up.

Google can solve 99% of those questions.

I think the majority of posts on Y answers are of the uniformed…I do not think those questions represent the population’s thoughts/sentiments accurately…

tried the same stuff too, eventually i started getting apathetic and began to just troll the diet & fitness section, handing out insane advice and flaming everybody

Being right is a minority.

People question my motives for alienating myself from society.

Exercising is the only thing that keeps me from going insane.

This is etched in my brain “It is difficult to soar with Eagles, when you live with turkeys”. Therefore I live alone.

yahoo answers for the most part is ghey. Those people don’t care if their answers are right, they just want the +1 points with the little tag that says “top contributor”.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
tried the same stuff too, eventually i started getting apathetic and began to just troll the diet & fitness section, handing out insane advice and flaming everybody[/quote]

I did that once too. I got the label of being rude in all most of my posts. That meant that people actually paid attention to who kept calling out the dumbasses.

Yep, yahoo answers is one of the worst websites for any sort of advice. I used to go and offer really good advice, but I’d always get mass thumbs down and people would tell me I’m flat out wrong…

Looking back, maybe eating every other day to see abs is not a bad idea afterall… nah. It is.

haha oh god

I found this place because of yahoo answers. I had gotten to the point where I just yelled at people in the diet and fitness section, and some fat sloppy disgusting woman wanted to know how to lose weight without exercise or diet and I told her to try cutting off her head.

Some other guy had a really good (funny) answer and I thought it was so funny that I checked his other answers and saw that he had been trolling that section for about a week tearing people apart in disgust. It was hilarious, then on one question from a sincere sounding kid he mentioned T-Nation.

I haven’t visited YA since.

Fuck 'em. Anyone who is serious about this shit is going to look further than Yahoo Answers for information. Pretty much applies to anything. Someone willing to put forth effort for something will do just that. And that can’t be taught or advised anyway.

Damn, so kreotine is bad for me? Guess I should empty my cabinets.

Luckily, I’ve had some intelligent (in terms of weight lifting) friends who introduced me to this site. It was like opening my eyes for the first time. I also recommended it to a friend of mine about a year ago. He thought I said teen-asians.com and asked me the next day if I was sure that it was a good bodybuilding website.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
schultzie wrote:
tried the same stuff too, eventually i started getting apathetic and began to just troll the diet & fitness section, handing out insane advice and flaming everybody

I did that once too. I got the label of being rude in all most of my posts. That meant that people actually paid attention to who kept calling out the dumbasses.[/quote]

…and that’s different from this site, how?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
…and that’s different from this site, how?[/quote]

Well y’know this site has got a black’n’red background (hardcore colors) aaaannd we’ve got some guys that actually accomplished stuff.

I’ve always maintained that the average american is an uninformed, unintelligent, delusional, obese boob. Sadly, when I drove cross country from NY to LA, I realized that despite the fact that people in the middle-states were friendlier, I was essentially correct in my assertation. The worst part is that people like that typically don’t realize how ill informed they may be (“you don’t know what you don’t know”), and any attempt to engage in otherwise intelligent discussion is greated poorly on the whole.

S

You think that’s bad. Try having people pay you for your advice and they don’t follow what you say.

I used to be a volunteer on all-experts and you get the same questions over and over again (I assume like yahoo).

Some times it’s not peoples’ fault about the non understanding of fitness and exercise. Look at how much crap info they’re bombarded with.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
Professor X wrote:
…and that’s different from this site, how?

Well y’know this site has got a black’n’red background (hardcore colors) aaaannd we’ve got some guys that actually accomplished stuff.[/quote]

It’s a matter of degrees. We have newbies giving advice like they have the experience and knowledge to do so to begin with, most of it simply regurgitated crap theory. They lash out at anyone telling them differently whether the one trying to inform them outweighs them by 100lbs of muscle or not.

There is a poster right now in the Performance photos section who plans on bringing up his V-taper without gaining any weight at all even though he’s still skinny. Any attempt to get him to understand that he will have to pass up his goal and diet back down to it will be met with nothing but either ignorance or contempt.

The rest of the world is just worse especially when it comes to topics concerning fat loss or muscle gain. Most still want to believe the myths like muscle turning into fat, bodybuilders not being able to move at all (despite Ronnie Coleman being able to do the splits on stage while in contest shape), or that anyone with arms over 15" had to have used magical/evil steroids to do it and that those hormones will kill that person faster than cigarettes or alcohol.

People who can see past all of that have always been few in number and their existence pisses off the uninformed who all seem to think they are highly evolved despite still not being able to walk upright.

Mind you, by pointing this out, you will be labeled “elitist” as if it is wrong or politically incorrect to admit that everyone wasn’t made exactly the same.

No, we haven’t escaped that here, we just experience it a little less.