T Nation

I Gained 15 lbs

Nice gains man but keep 'em coming.

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

[quote]D_C wrote:
Keep bulking.[/quote]

First post for a Level 4, nice lol

Did you tear a bicep in your avatar picture?[/quote]

What can I say?..Anaconda is pretty tasty.

Nah, just a few stretch marks.

Yeah bro deff need to cut… Is this post forreal? :o

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]punkguitarist wrote:

I agree about the arms. I used to follow the thinking of “you don’t need direct arm work, your pushing and pulling compounds will take care of it” Such bullshit. I got up to doing 70 x 5 on chins and my bi’s didn’t grow at all.
[/quote]

Who exactly started this and why did ANYONE follow?

What huge guys out there are avoiding biceps curls aside from powerlifters who also do curls in majority?

Was this started on this website and if so, which author?[/quote]

You’re right that way of training is totally retarded. Mark Rippetoe is the one to blame for it. He wrote that program “starting strength”. it makes people doing it feel "hardcore’

This thread is dumb. If the OP thinks he needs to cut then what he really needs is a reality check

[quote]CircaThursday wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]punkguitarist wrote:

I agree about the arms. I used to follow the thinking of “you don’t need direct arm work, your pushing and pulling compounds will take care of it” Such bullshit. I got up to doing 70 x 5 on chins and my bi’s didn’t grow at all.
[/quote]

Who exactly started this and why did ANYONE follow?

What huge guys out there are avoiding biceps curls aside from powerlifters who also do curls in majority?

Was this started on this website and if so, which author?[/quote]

You’re right that way of training is totally retarded. Mark Rippetoe is the one to blame for it. He wrote that program “starting strength”. it makes people doing it feel "hardcore’
[/quote]
rippetoe is fat and likes crossfit,

keep gaining op!

I believe that Chad Waterbury was another proponent of no direct arm training. He always used to say that chinups were the best biceps exercise etc.

He hated anything that didn’t seem “functional”

…yeah, because if you sit down while doing a shoulder/arm exercise you’ll become a dysfunctional lump of mass that can’t even walk!

[quote]its_just_me wrote:
I believe that Chad Waterbury was another proponent of no direct arm training. He always used to say that chinups were the best biceps exercise etc.

He hated anything that didn’t seem “functional”

…yeah, because if you sit down while doing a shoulder/arm exercise you’ll become a dysfunctional lump of mass that can’t even walk![/quote]

<------------ Not a fan of Waterbury. He’s nothing to look at and his programs just can’t deliver gains past the point of a beginners progress. If I was 50+ I think he would be a good trainer, but for bodybuilding Chad just needs to quit.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Who exactly started this and why did ANYONE follow?

Was this started on this website and if so, which author?[/quote]

I don’t know who started it but the 1st time I ever heard of it was on this site, and I followed it. I didn’t know any better since I only read the articles and didn’t know about the forums. I remember Waterbury and a couple other authors repeated in more than one article. I also bought the Rippetoe Starting Strength book and that reinforced it.

This is not the exact article that I read but the info was pretty much repeated in one of his articles that was published on here when I joined. Maybe someone else remembers it:

Waterbury:
"I know what you’re thinking:

“Chad, you forgot to include direct arm work in that program!”

No, I didn’t. The best increases in upper arm hypertrophy are achieved through compound exercises such as dips, chin-ups, bench presses and rows. Therefore, no direct arm work is prescribed in this program.

It’s a strange phenomenon. Every trainee who’s been around the iron game for more than a year knows that big arms are built from compound exercises, but people are still convinced they need direct arm work! So I’ll give you the choice. I don’t recommend the direct upper-arm work option, but I know some people will add direct arm work anyway, so I might as well make sure they do it right. "

Even when I started doing TBT a few years ago for the first time, the first thing I added was direct arm work. I thought it was something like common knowledgde that isolation is the way to go for big arms. Oh boy, I was wrong when I read and learned about all those TBT programs like starting strenght and programs from Waterbury.

Direct arm work is a must, people who say otherwise need a check up.

I think it would be fair to say that almost no one with massive arms has not done direct arm work, and a shitload of it at that.

I think the anti-arm work trend started because you see so many 140lb kids doing 8 different curl variations every time they go to the gym. I feel that the original intentions were good because there are plenty of people that need to focus more on compound exercises, but like most things it got twisted to the extreme. It eventually turned into ‘squats build big arms’. It also doesn’t help that people trying to sell books like to make extreme, controversial statements to increase their publicity.

[quote]riddle22 wrote:
I think the anti-arm work trend started because you see so many 140lb kids doing 8 different curl variations every time they go to the gym. I feel that the original intentions were good because there are plenty of people that need to focus more on compound exercises, but like most things it got twisted to the extreme. It eventually turned into ‘squats build big arms’. It also doesn’t help that people trying to sell books like to make extreme, controversial statements to increase their publicity.[/quote]

Good post. I 100% agree.

OP looks like you’ve done awesome so far, keep bulking dude, you’re fine.

BIGGER!

Now I’m going to go back and read everyone saying the exact same thing.