T Nation

I Forgot to Sign Up for Thursday PT

But, I’m here tonight. It’s been a busy week. I have a high school girl in volleyball and nominated for Homecoming royalty.

I must have sinned somewhere, sometime…

Today is Thursday. It is also morning.

Hi Dan,

I really enjoy your insights–first on the Old School and P&B boards and now here at T-Nation. In fact, you inspired me to get into the Olympic lifts at the tender age of 35. Three years later, I can’t imagine doing anything else.

I have a couple of questions on some technical issues.

1. I’m having a bit of a problem “finishing the pull” when I hit max weights–I’m kind of trying to sneak under the bar rather than pull myself under. For the longest time, I was staying with the pull too long. I thought I might start doing some work from blocks to remedy this. Any thoughts?

2. I’m starting to figure out the concept of pushing myself under my jerk rather than trying to drive it to the moon and catching it with a tiny split. Are there any internal cues you use to help with the transition from the drive to push under and split?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Best regards,

Matt Lawrence

Well, those are the “big two.” Everyone has the first issue…everyone. My “new” method of heels only really helps me as I am thinking of “ass back” not pull and that is a better concept for me. Do lots of Romanian Deadlifts and just get scarey strong in the move.

Jerks:
Two things:

1. Slow, squeezed dip. Don’t rush the dip…fill your thighs.
  2. “Listen” for the front foot slap…don’t get cute…slap the foot.

So, slow dip and loud slap.

[quote]Matthew Lawrence wrote:
Hi Dan,

I really enjoy your insights–first on the Old School and P&B boards and now here at T-Nation. In fact, you inspired me to get into the Olympic lifts at the tender age of 35. Three years later, I can’t imagine doing anything else.

I have a couple of questions on some technical issues.

1. I’m having a bit of a problem “finishing the pull” when I hit max weights–I’m kind of trying to sneak under the bar rather than pull myself under. For the longest time, I was staying with the pull too long. I thought I might start doing some work from blocks to remedy this. Any thoughts?

2. I’m starting to figure out the concept of pushing myself under my jerk rather than trying to drive it to the moon and catching it with a tiny split. Are there any internal cues you use to help with the transition from the drive to push under and split?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Best regards,

Matt Lawrence

[/quote]

Hey Dan,

could you please fill us in on that Crossfit WOD plus OLAD program you’re using with your athletes?

I’m a skinny fat little bastard who really needs to get bigger and stronger, but I’m really attracted to the fitness and athleticism the WOD seems to promote. I’m thinking the WOD in the AM plus some heavy deadlifts, presses, snatches, and cleans in the PM would give me what I want (I’m a college student so I can lift pretty frequently). But, what do I know anyway?

I’m wondering how YOU’RE combining heavy strength training and the WOD.

Thanks alot Dan. I really respect you and your experience and knowledge. Can’t wait for your next article (any chance of a full fledged hardcopy book someday? “From the Ground Up” was great…)

Matt O’Donnell

Hey Coach,

I posted this on Monday but I think you were already gone for the night.

Old post:
“I’ve started doing front squats. So far, I’ve had my feet a little wider than shoulder width, pointed out slightly, but I seem to have too much forward lean. I’ve been compensating by trying to keep my elbows high, but I suspect that only works because the weight is so light. To really keep my torso closer to vertical (how it’s supposed to be, right?) I have to turn my feet out quite a bit. Is this normal/okay? I’m 6’5” by the way."

I did them again last night with the feet pointed out more and was able to stay more vertical (still wondering if that’s the proper way though). I have a little forward lean but not too much. Is it possible to stay completely vertical?

Anyway, I start out with my upper arms parallel, but they end up pointing down just slightly (they’re in the same position relative to my torso but with the slight lean…). Trying to keep them parallel the whole time is really hard on my shoulders and back. The picture that goes with your article on them, the guy’s elbows seem really low-where’s the point where you start putting too much stress on the wrists?

Beyond just doing them until I figure it out, do you have any pointers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing. I’ve read some people say they just have their fingertips on the bar while the proper olympic way is to still maintain some kind of grip. Does it matter? I know this is kind of analysis paralysis but…it’s what I do. Thanks.

There are two ways to do this: One, combine daily one lift and a crossfit program every day. Two, which I recommend for most people, alternate them like this:

Day One: OLAD
Day Two: Crossfit
Day Three: OLAD
Day Four: Rest
Day Five: Crossfit
Day Six: OLAD
Day Seven: Rest

Now, the next week, do a OLAD back to back once and maybe crossfit’s couplets and triplets back to back once. Juggle it a little.

[quote]matt_OD wrote:
Hey Dan,

could you please fill us in on that Crossfit WOD plus OLAD program you’re using with your athletes?

I’m a skinny fat little bastard who really needs to get bigger and stronger, but I’m really attracted to the fitness and athleticism the WOD seems to promote. I’m thinking the WOD in the AM plus some heavy deadlifts, presses, snatches, and cleans in the PM would give me what I want (I’m a college student so I can lift pretty frequently). But, what do I know anyway?

I’m wondering how YOU’RE combining heavy strength training and the WOD.

Thanks alot Dan. I really respect you and your experience and knowledge. Can’t wait for your next article (any chance of a full fledged hardcopy book someday? “From the Ground Up” was great…)

Matt O’Donnell[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
But, I’m here tonight. It’s been a busy week. I have a high school girl in volleyball and nominated for Homecoming royalty.

I must have sinned somewhere, sometime…[/quote]

Dan,
How important is the hook grip? I’ve tried to use it but always after about 3-4 reps, i lose it. Does it really give the lifter a better advantage?
By the way, good luck with the royalty
Lonnie

Lonnie, it’s “one of those things.” Either jump in 100% or don’t. I hook, but I have hooked since 1975…it is how I hold a bar. It took a few weeks to deal with the f—ing pain, I can tell you. Then, fine…

Or, don’t.

No middle here.

[quote]lwade wrote:
Danny John wrote:

Dan,
How important is the hook grip? I’ve tried to use it but always after about 3-4 reps, i lose it. Does it really give the lifter a better advantage?
Lonnie[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I was looking up Highland games today and I didn’t realize that it was also family oriented activities. My boys will like that. I found three games right here in Vermont. I also found out you are ranked #3 in your group. “Come on” you need to do more work like we did at Throwing camp? I know I can’t wait to try it.
Lonnie

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Lonnie, it’s “one of those things.” Either jump in 100% or don’t. I hook, but I have hooked since 1975…it is how I hold a bar. It took a few weeks to deal with the f—ing pain, I can tell you. Then, fine…

Or, don’t.

No middle here.

lwade wrote:
Danny John wrote:

Dan,
Lonnie

[/quote]

I think I did one “official” games this year. I have been busy. I seem to peak when I do more than one…

Busy, busy year. Four weeks of discus camp, job changes, life changes with the girls, all kinds of things. Also, a real lack of…uh…focus…

[quote]lwade wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I was looking up Highland games today and I didn’t realize that it was also family oriented activities. My boys will like that. I found three games right here in Vermont. I also found out you are ranked #3 in your group. “Come on” you need to do more work like we did at Throwing camp? I know I can’t wait to try it.
Lonnie
Danny John wrote:

Or, don’t.

No middle here.

lwade wrote:
Danny John wrote:

Dan,
Lonnie

[/quote]

Squat JDCHS Style

Two Rules:

1. ?Spread the Chest? Be Proud of Who You Are!
  2. Weight on the Heels?always in the weight room.

Progression

1. Pick up the Potatoes Squat. Chest up, weight on heels, hands clasped between legs. ?Put the potatoes on the ground, bring them up.? The clasped hands should go right between the middle of the feet. Head up, chest spread, weight on heels.
  2. Zercher Squats: light dumbbells in both hands holding only one end. As you squat down, let the elbows widen the knees. Head up, chest spread, weight on heels.
  3. Bottom to Bottom Squats. Do as many reps as possible in ten, then twenty, seconds. Start and finish with a perfect bottom position.
  4. During the Clean progression, add Front Squats. Keep elbows high.
  5. For Back Squats, be sure to step back from the racks.

You might simply need the progression…

[quote]rodger1 wrote:
Hey Coach,

I posted this on Monday but I think you were already gone for the night.

Old post:
“I’ve started doing front squats. So far, I’ve had my feet a little wider than shoulder width, pointed out slightly, but I seem to have too much forward lean. I’ve been compensating by trying to keep my elbows high, but I suspect that only works because the weight is so light. To really keep my torso closer to vertical (how it’s supposed to be, right?) I have to turn my feet out quite a bit. Is this normal/okay? I’m 6’5” by the way."

I did them again last night with the feet pointed out more and was able to stay more vertical (still wondering if that’s the proper way though). I have a little forward lean but not too much. Is it possible to stay completely vertical?

Anyway, I start out with my upper arms parallel, but they end up pointing down just slightly (they’re in the same position relative to my torso but with the slight lean…). Trying to keep them parallel the whole time is really hard on my shoulders and back. The picture that goes with your article on them, the guy’s elbows seem really low-where’s the point where you start putting too much stress on the wrists?

Beyond just doing them until I figure it out, do you have any pointers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing. I’ve read some people say they just have their fingertips on the bar while the proper olympic way is to still maintain some kind of grip. Does it matter? I know this is kind of analysis paralysis but…it’s what I do. Thanks.[/quote]

Good evening Dan. I’ve been following OLAD now since May—a total of 4 cycles so far. Recently, between cycles, I threw in two weeks of O-lifts just for variety. I worked 3 days each week, working one lift per day for 15X1. I broke down the 15 sets into several waves. This protocol worked well, but I’m wondering if you think different set/rep parameters would work better on the O-lifts. FYI—I’ve decided to take an entire year and focus on strength. My only goal is to get my numbers up on the big lifts. Thanks.

G’day Dan,

I have a few questions today:

1. When using OHS at the beginning of a workout as a sort of warmup for O-lifts, say a 3x8, should I go hard on this lift so that by the last rep of the last set there is only a rep or two left? Or should it just be a nice, easy warmup where by the end of the sets I feel loose and ready to go with the O-lifts but still have heaps of reps left?

2. I did the 3 stage snatch drill for the first time this week for 8 “reps”. Talk about a great workout! I realised at the end that my conditioning is still not up to par. I had never done hang squat snatches before and found these to be the most difficult, I kept feeling as though I would lose my balance when trying to get under the bar. Is this a normal occurence for people learning this lift? Last night I did hang snatches and not the drill and had some similar problems, although by the end of 6 sets of 3 I was starting to get the hang (excuse the pun) of it.

3. Relative to the power snatch and full squat snatch, how much weight should someone usually be able to use on the hang squat snatch? Less? More?

Cheers,

Ben

I can understand the busy part. I was just telling Pam that I was lucky you gave me the EDT DVD. I’ve been using that approach on Tues/Thur. and doing OLAD on Mon/Wed/Fri. With school and family I don’t have a lot of time and I can fit this in. I’m reading the Contrarian Approach to Discus Throwing again. A lot more makes sense now after camp. I also remember you talking about a coversation with Brian about Magnesium and Potassium. Do you still take these minerals and how do they/what do they help?
Lonnie
P.S. I’m picking your brain tonight.

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I think I did one “official” games this year. I have been busy. I seem to peak when I do more than one…

Busy, busy year. Four weeks of discus camp, job changes, life changes with the girls, all kinds of things. Also, a real lack of…uh…focus…

lwade wrote:
Lonnie
Danny John wrote:

Or, don’t.

No middle here.

lwade wrote:
Danny John wrote:

Dan,
Lonnie

[/quote]

Don’t ever mess with something that is working. God…that is fault of my young life! Everytime I got things right…I read some dumb article and tossed it all away. Don’t mess with a good thing!!!

[quote]Jeff_with_a_G wrote:
Good evening Dan. I’ve been following OLAD now since May—a total of 4 cycles so far. Recently, between cycles, I threw in two weeks of O-lifts just for variety. I worked 3 days each week, working one lift per day for 15X1. I broke down the 15 sets into several waves. This protocol worked well, but I’m wondering if you think different set/rep parameters would work better on the O-lifts. FYI—I’ve decided to take an entire year and focus on strength. My only goal is to get my numbers up on the big lifts. Thanks. [/quote]

I’m still waiting for evidence to prove otherwise! I like ZMA at night because…like a lot of people notice…it helps me sleep really deep and dream in vivid detail. Maybe that is not true for everyone, but I notice it. Potassium is important in a pure low carb environment, I understand, and I think it is a pretty safe cheap insurance policy.

Yep, minerals. I take a lot of stuff…you saw my desk at camp…but I think the order is this:

1. Eat breakfast. (No questions!)
  2. Fiber and protein at every meal.
  3. Fish oil caps
  4. Zn, Mg and K

I like a lot of things but this is like my “geezer” must list.

[quote]lwade wrote:
I can understand the busy part. I was just telling Pam that I was lucky you gave me the EDT DVD. I’ve been using that approach on Tues/Thur. and doing OLAD on Mon/Wed/Fri. With school and family I don’t have a lot of time and I can fit this in. I’m reading the Contrarian Approach to Discus Throwing again. A lot more makes sense now after camp. I also remember you talking about a coversation with Brian about Magnesium and Potassium. Do you still take these minerals and how do they/what do they help?
Lonnie
P.S. I’m picking your brain tonight.

Danny John wrote:

lwade wrote:
Lonnie
Danny John wrote:

Or, don’t.

No middle here.

lwade wrote:
Danny John wrote:

Dan,
Lonnie

[/quote]

You are on the right track…you answered all the questions yourself… I like a rep or two left in the tank, yes, Hang Snatches can suck.

The last question’s answer wouldn’t last the next workout. If you keep doing what you are doing…your relative lifts will rise up, but not in a logical manner. You must strive to make your weak points your strong points. Generally, people can actually hang snatch…with straps…practically (if not more) than their max snatch. Power Snatches lag behind a little.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
G’day Dan,

I have a few questions today:

1. When using OHS at the beginning of a workout as a sort of warmup for O-lifts, say a 3x8, should I go hard on this lift so that by the last rep of the last set there is only a rep or two left? Or should it just be a nice, easy warmup where by the end of the sets I feel loose and ready to go with the O-lifts but still have heaps of reps left?

2. I did the 3 stage snatch drill for the first time this week for 8 “reps”. Talk about a great workout! I realised at the end that my conditioning is still not up to par. I had never done hang squat snatches before and found these to be the most difficult, I kept feeling as though I would lose my balance when trying to get under the bar. Is this a normal occurence for people learning this lift? Last night I did hang snatches and not the drill and had some similar problems, although by the end of 6 sets of 3 I was starting to get the hang (excuse the pun) of it.

3. Relative to the power snatch and full squat snatch, how much weight should someone usually be able to use on the hang squat snatch? Less? More?

Cheers,

Ben[/quote]

I had to back off the 2x85% deadlift and 6 plyo jumps today. I almost couldn’t sleep last night and sitting was extremely painful. Anyways, I just did 10 sets of hill sprints and ran a mile. Legs feel great. I think anyone who is interested in this Barry Ross program will get fast results.

I need to try this again, but maybe I need to do it once a week. I think it would be a great addition to your training program.

I know how you feel Gary. Dan did stuff like that to me when he use to come to Vermont to visit/introduce me to stuff like plyos. Hope you are well
Lonnie

[quote]Gary John wrote:
I had to back off the 2x85% deadlift and 6 plyo jumps today. I almost couldn’t sleep last night and sitting was extremely painful. Anyways, I just did 10 sets of hill sprints and ran a mile. Legs feel great. I think anyone who is interested in this Barry Ross program will get fast results.

I need to try this again, but maybe I need to do it once a week. I think it would be a great addition to your training program.[/quote]