I eat my Wheaties.

Decent 415. Got a little bounce at the bottom but it felt good.

What’s your training background? BJJ now, but wrestling before?

Are you doing any of the lifts per any of CT’s layer formats? Without running the numbers, it looks like you’ve been ramping, then getting some lower volume at about 80-90%, then some higher volume backoff sets… but not really clusters and HDL.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
What’s your training background? BJJ now, but wrestling before?

Are you doing any of the lifts per any of CT’s layer formats? Without running the numbers, it looks like you’ve been ramping, then getting some lower volume at about 80-90%, then some higher volume backoff sets… but not really clusters and HDL.[/quote]

I wrestled a little bit in high school (wrestled 103’s in 7th grade about 10 years ago). I was never very good, I was a weak, scrawny kid. I started lifting the summer before junior year, probably weighing about 160. I actually quit wrestling to lift weights. I bought a Bowflex that I used all summer and then ended the summer with a Strength and Conditioning camp at a local college.

Weighed 190 a year and a few months ago (was up to 230 at one point and sat at 220 for a while but got sick). Now I am 240, and the strongest and most athletic I’ve ever been in my life. I got into BJJ about a year ago. My coach persuaded me to train for some tournaments so here I am. My goal is to be grappling at about a lean 230 or so.

A lot of my training influence now comes from CT and Dan John.

I am currently running an AM Push/Pull/Squat/Carry and PM Complexes for conditioning (When I don’t have BJJ practice).

I like to stick to very few basic movements. Power Snatches and SGHP will build you from top to bottom. I like to ramp to max in Power Snatches and then Ramp to max in the next movement (Push Press, SGHP, Box Squat). After I hit my max, I will drop down and do something like 5x5 or 5x3, or maybe 5/4/3/2/1, 3/2/1/3/2/1, or anything really. After that I’ll drop er down low and do a 1-3 sets to failure.

Today’s Carry Day.

Power Snatch

• 95x3x3 (warm-up)
  • 135x3x3 (warm-up)
  • worked up to 205 (felt like yesterday’s 195)
  • missed 215 again today a few times

Farmer Carry

• 75x3 laps of 50 steps
  • 75x7 laps of 50 steps using hook grip
  • 75x2 laps of 50 steps using straps
  • 45 plate x8 laps of 50 steps

Awesome workout. My grip was a little sore from BJJ the last few days but I performed quite well. Tomorrow is a Push Day.

Power snatch

• 1RM (guessing around 195 tomorrow)
    Push Press
  • 1RM (probably 245 or so)
  • probably 5x5 (with like 185 or something)
  • 1-3 failure set with 135 (probably 15 reps or so)

I always did farmer walks with half my bodyweight in each hand, is 75 enough for a dude weighing 240?

[quote]mutantcolors wrote:
I always did farmer walks with half my bodyweight in each hand, is 75 enough for a dude weighing 240?[/quote]

Unfortunately, no. My gym’s DB’s only go to 75 - usually do these doing 2-2.5 laps at a time. I usually use my trap bar with my bodyweight and I’ll make 1 lap at a time. I’ll get some footage on my next Carry Day.

Push Day

Warm-up Complex with Bar (3 sets)

Power Snatch (9 sets)

• 95x3x3 (warm-up)
  • 135x3x3 (warm-up)
  • worked up to a really nice 185 and stopped (didn’t feel like maxing on these today)

Push Press (14 sets)

• started ramping at 185
  • worked up to a very nice 255 (video to come)
  • worked up to 265 (PR, video to come)
  • tried 265 again but I missed it (wanted a cleaner rep)
  • 185/195/205/215/225 x 5/4/3/2/1
  • 135x15

I am considering this a PR, even though I have hit 255 before. This was a MUCH better rep.

Never give up.

PM Complexes

Warm-up complex with bar

Snatch Complex

• 3 singles with 135
  • worked up to 205x1
  • 135 for 3 sets of 4

Face Pull
Face Pull/Reverse Fly
Face Pull/Reverse Fly/Reverse Fly Swing
All sets about 15 reps

Reverse crunches
3 sets to failure (mostly as back prehab)

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Never give up.

[/quote]

Nicely done.

AM Pull Day

Warm-up Complex with Bar - 2 sets

Power Snatch (12 sets)

• 95x3x3 (warm-up)
  • 135x3x3 (warm-up)
  • worked up to an easy 215 (something I have had trouble with the past week or so)

SGHP+Power Snatch Combo (several sets)

• 225x1 (Power Snatch PR match)
  • 235x1 (missed it twice then hit, Power Snatch PR)
  • 245x0 (missed it 3 or 4 times, once over the head)

SGHP (8 singles)

• 275x3 singles
  • 295x2 singles
  • 315x2 singles
  • 325x1

I was on fire with my Power Snatches. All three 235 attempts made it over the head, with the final attempt being a hit. Missed 245 a couple of times, with the last attempt getting over the head, but could not lock it out. I tore 3 straps during my Power Snatch workout alone.

Being left with a bunch of partially torn straps, I was greatly limited in the amount of weight I could SGHP. My SGHP session ended up getting cut short, which left me a little discouraged, but my Power Snatch workout more than makes up for that.

Video of 235 Power Snatch to come.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Never give up.

[/quote]

Nicely done.[/quote]

Thanks buddy. Be sure to check out the 235 Power Snatch, soon to come.

Easy lift this morning.

Warm-up Complex with Bar

Power Snatch

• 6-8x3 with 95 pounds

Was really pressed for time this morning so Squat Day turned into a Neural Charge workout. I’m a little bloated from all the carbs surrounding my workout, but I feel good. Tomorrow I will Squat.

No workout this morning. The past 3 nights I have used ElitePro, ZMA, and Z-12 and have slept for over 10 hours each night. Will not be combining these again, as this is the 3rd time I have slept through my morning workout time.

Had BJJ last night, and will have BJJ again tonight. Will be skipping Squat Day this cycle, and will move on the Carry Day tomorrow.

Also bought a few T-Nation shirts. Love the quality, and the Testosterone one gets some nice looks! Lol.

Nothing crazy this morning.

Warm-up Complex with Bar

Power Snatch

• 4-6 sets of 3 with 95#, didn’t really keep track here, wasn’t feeling great

Trap-bar Carry

• 235 for 10 laps of 55 steps
  • 285 for 1 lap of 55 steps with straps (feet hurt at this point so I stopped)

Plate Carry

• 45 pound plate, like 7 or 8 laps of 55 steps

Again, nothing crazy. I have had a lot of BJJ lately, and have more tonight and tomorrow. Tomorrow will be Push Day.

Buddy talked me into working out this evening.

Warm-up Complex with Bar

Snatch Complex

• worked up to 195x1
  • missed the Snatch on 205 so I stopped

Face Pull
Face Pull/Reverse Fly
Face Pull/Reverse Fly/Reverse Fly Swing

How did you learn the snatch? You make it look easy.

I’m feeling quite a bit more control over the barbell in motion now that I’ve been doing SGHPs, but I really don’t feel comfortable getting underneath it. Honestly, it’s mostly fear that’s kept me from even trying with a light weight.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
How did you learn the snatch? You make it look easy.

I’m feeling quite a bit more control over the barbell in motion now that I’ve been doing SGHPs, but I really don’t feel comfortable getting underneath it. Honestly, it’s mostly fear that’s kept me from even trying with a light weight.[/quote]

I actually learned the Clean first. The Clean has always come naturally to me, and with plenty of research (and CT’s help) I was able to clean up my form. When I moved on to Snatches and SGHP everything came easy I guess.

Some things that will help you with your Snatches.

• Muscle Snatches - for these you don’t actually have to get under the bar, so this should really help teach you to extend fully and pull all the way through. Once you are ready to move onto Snatches all it requires is a small dip down (1/4 to 1/2 squat) and you should be able to catch them just fine.
  • Behind the neck Push Jerks - these helped me tremendously. Rest the bar on your back as if you are going to do a Back Squat, and perform a Jerk. Be super careful when lowering the bar onto your back, start with the bar or 95 pounds for a while. Make sure you lower/drop the bar onto the traps. This will teach you to dive under bars. You can even do these between sets of snatches with another bar.

I would start off light to get the movement pattern down (which are both super easy to learn), and then you can load these up as long as you remain safe. Keep doing your regular Snatch work. Try and get some videos for me as well as I will do my best to help you out. I’m not Olympic Weightlifter but I have done a good job at learning the Snatch and Clean via the internet, so I will give you all the help I can give.