I Don't Warm Up, I Don't Stretch

It may benefit, but I’m going to skip it and see what happens. Are you arguing that warming up is what made them strong?

Man, you are completely missing the point. Again, no one cares how you personally approach training.

You created this thread and made a declaration ( several at this point). None of which you can back up and they go against like 99.9999999% of conventional wisdom gained from decades of training.

1 Like

No one here has said that warming up makes someone strong, but if you want a 600+lb deadlift you are probably gonna wanna start warming up cause you will end up hurting yourself way before then.

1 Like

RESULTS:
Five studies, all of high quality (7-9 (mean=8) out of 11) reported sufficient data (quality score>7) on the effects of warming up on reducing injury risk in humans. Three of the studies found that performing a warm-up prior to performance significantly reduced the injury risk

the weight of evidence is in favour of a decreased risk of injury.

From the abstract alone, let alone the actual article.

4 Likes

Well, no shit Sherlock.
I have one year of strength training, no athletic background whatsoever, I’m not genetically gifted, or strong, or fast, and pulled 375 @172 bodyweight last week, which wasn’t an actual 1RM either. Just by following the basic-est 5/3/1 setup possible (5’s Pro/PR sets + 5x5FSL). Unless you’re 135lbs or so, you have a beginner strength level (and a beginner’s insight, judging by the posts).
Why should I listen to someone who barely made more progress than me, in twice the time, telling me not to do something that I’ve been doing so far and that I know helped me?
Let alone pick his opinion above the one of people who are exponentially stronger, bigger, leaner and better conditioned than him.
If you had the slightest interest in weight training literature, you’d probably know there’s a huge gap between a 400 pounds deadlift, a 600 one, an 800 one and so on, because nonlinear progression and diminishing returns and yadda yadda.
You seem to base your opinion on the fact that two years of training gave you a 410lbs deadlift, so in another two years you’ll be pulling 820, then 1230 and so on.
Which is bullshit.

1 Like

The article said, inconclusive.

Oh hey, cool, you’re responding to me again. Will you answer my question regarding logical arguments vs empirical ones?

And I believe you mean to say that the summary said inconclusive, but even then that’s not true.That word never appears. But all of mine did.

What empirical evidence are you talking about?

There is insufficient evidence to endorse or discontinue routine warm-up prior to physical activity to prevent injury among sports participants

Literally says stretching in the title…

1 Like

I can lift more than lots of people who do warm up. Therefore I’m right, because I can lift more.

Previously, it was about how you have not accomplished anything of note with these methods, which is why your opinion on the topic holds little weight.

You challenged that with a logical fallacy, which is a silly thing to do in an empirical argument. I then asked you if that was something taught to you in undergrad, but received no response.

With the rest of the sentence reading

However, the weight of evidence is in favour of a decreased risk of injury.

Further well-conducted randomised controlled trials are needed to determine the role of warming up prior to exercise in relation to injury prevention.

I’m lost. So do you not believe in stretching or warming up?

2 Likes

I count my first three high intensity reps as a warm up. I don’t do jumping jacks or pink weights prior to it.

Both I think. Its looking more like my freshman philosophy class discussions right now tho. @exercisemachina being the student who thinks he’s smarter than the professor, @T3hPwnisher

1 Like

Yes, we both read the same summary. I don’t think you read the article though.

But the summary still speaks positively of the benefits of warming up and state that, of what evidence there is out there, the majority is in favor of it decreasing injury risk. In hopes of wanting to back up your point, this was a poor selection. You would ideally pick an article (or at least a summary) that says that the weight of evidence does NOT support warming up; not one advocating for more research on the subject.

4 Likes

Don’t think I’ve ever used a pink weight or a jumping jack in training. But I’ve pulled more than 410 and can do more without warming up, but don’t because I’m not an idiot.

Your analogies are pretty trash and obsolete. The elevator button and the animal ones make zero sense for weight lifting. You prime your body so you’re able to push past what you can do cold. You don’t have to per say, but you should in order to go past. If you can pull 410 cold, you’re probably good for at least 10-30 more after priming your body with lighter weight (around 70-80%) prior to get your movement patterns and muscles ready for what you’re planning to do.

1 Like

I’m curious too, what is/was your injury history prior to your conclusion of not warming up?