I Don't Warm Up, I Don't Stretch

Right, why not warm up by going intense on your first exercise? By intense I don’t mean fast, I mean steady taxing resistance. High intensity will warm you up fast.

Don’t eat yellow snow.

Fools: How much can you bench? If it’s not a lot, I’m eating me some yellow snow.

This explains everything. You are simply not strong enough for warming up to matter.

5 Likes

I agree with this to some degree. The first semi-serious way of training I used was double progression.

I’d do 3 sets of 3 to 5 then accessories. Each session, I would add 1 rep until I did 5 across then jump the weight.

I would walk it, throw my work set straight on the bar and just do the working sets. I did this until I hit a 100kg bench press

Rep 5 on set 3 for 97.5kg was the grindiest lift I ever hit. It seriously felt like 20 seconds (it was probably 3 lol), I sat on the sticking point for what felt like forever, but I was so desperate to get to 100kg.

Lets say the next bench session at 100kg was awful. But I was keen and driven so a number of sessions later I was still rocking up to the bar, putting 100kg (close to my max) cold on the bar and going for it.

Eventually something in my shoulder didn’t appreciate this. The outcome was I couldn’t press the bar without significant pain.

Took 6 months to get back to a 1 plate bench. So I’m glad I saved those 5 minutes every session by avoiding the warm up. Saved me lots of time and effort… oh wait.

2 Likes

I’m not saying you will gain the world if you skip the mickey mouse warm up before resistance training. But it’s an unnecessary activity before the exercise itself. Sure it’s good to be fully awake and alert when you train. If you are training at 6 a.m. it can be good to warm up so you can wake up. It’s good to be awake when training, not necessarily warm.

5/20/17 Leg press concentric max: 700 pounds
3/21/18 Leg press concentric max:1217 pounds

Why did you ask how much the other fools in this thread bench if you measure strength by your concentric leg press?

There are at least four people who have commented in this thread with 600-plus deadlifts, one of whom is a world-record holder and closing in on 800 at a BW less than 200, but let me guess: you don’t squat or deadlift because it’s bad for your knees or you have a sore back.

EDIT: upon further review, I think I missed one or two, there could be as many as six or seven with 600-plus deadlifts.

But hey, it’s good to know you don’t need to warm up to leg press 1200 pounds. So to be clear, you just walked in and did 1217 without any sets to build up to that?

3 Likes

Right, the correct way to stretch before an exercise is to skip it.

Video of 1200lbs leg press?

2 Likes

Good for him. That’s a lot.

I do deadlifts and front squats.

@flipcollar asked for some numbers. I asked what numbers, he said any. So there you go

Well then I’ll ask more directly: what are your deadlift and front squat numbers? Any video to back them up? Doesn’t have to be a max, just something to indicate you’re not full of shit.

Numbers as in plural and you pick half an exercise - concentric leg press??

How much do you squat and deadlift?

2 Likes

Lots of people here know that static stretches are bad for weightlifting. You hopped on here, and said stretching AND warm-ups are bad, and people disagreed, and you keep bringing up stretching. You also brought up the funniest exercise to skip a warm-up on. I need a video blog where you wake up, head to the gym, have somebody else load 1200 lb on the leg press (can’t have you warming up by loading all that weight), and then you do a deep concentric press on it.

6 Likes

Side note: are you best friends with the guy who started the “1 hour workout” thread?

3 Likes

Do we get to include our bodyweight in the lift? Also, does the lift count if the weights were held in a duffel bag?

11 Likes

This was the guy that got upset that the old lady didn’t want to exercise.

1 Like

Key point, by the way. OP is doing the classic thing of arguing against a position that no one is really taking for the sake of trying to be right.

I’d venture that almost no one in this thread does static stretching before lifting, but almost everyone does some sort of “warm up” - which can include buildup sets on the lift itself (and the OP himself probably does, he just doesn’t call it a “warmup” because he wants to write an e-book about how you don’t need to warm up to lift).

I never do any specific exercise to warm up before my squats or deadlifts, but I do a lot of progressively heavier sets until I’ve reached a working weight, like everyone else.

3 Likes

The only time I do any static stretching is if I do one of Defranco’s warm-ups, but what does that guy know…

I think there’s only one place this thread can go now.

Leg press challenge!

Rules: No warm-ups allowed. No bitches allowed.

15 Likes

For squats and deadlifts both, I roll out with the ex-wife (aka, body tempering) as made somewhat popular by Donnie Thompson. W/o it, I had a steady diet of muscle strains that kept my local deep tissue massage therapist, trigger point therapist, and chiro well employed. With body tempering, all that pre-hab has payed off huge with reduced injuries and increased range of motion.

As for warm ups, I do a lot. I squat 500 lbs at 198 and 50 years old. There is no way in hell I could load the bar and rip out a 1RM at that weight. I go through a full progression of jumps to get there, and my CNS really isn’t firing properly until I hit about 365 lbs.

I’m by no means as strong as some of the monsters on here, but I’m strong enough that a proper warm up is required to lift heavy.

5 Likes

Leg Press EMOM w/ 1200?

1 Like