T Nation

I Don't Usually Like Art, but...

I was trying to show a female coworker what a REAL vampire looks like, she’s one of those Twilight girls.
I ended up looking up “vampire art” on my lunch break to find a really good image and I stumbled across this dudes website and this painting…

Holy shit!

http://www.messengerartgalleries.com/wst_page2.php?idx=0&file=images/vamps_023.jpg&&ID2=4JNci6

…she now agrees that the Twilight guy could probably use some more “scary” in his arsenal.

Hmmm…

I like art. My opinion - This is weak. Simple and unimaginative.
Edward is a fag, though.

I don’t like that stuff either. Looks like an angry teenager did it.

as an artist myself i have to say this is pretty unimpressive.

http://mr–jack.deviantart.com/art/Demon-Ropearm-145594368

these are a couple favorites off of deivantart. I do not claim to own any of this work.

As an artist myself, I have to say this is pretty unimpressive.

You posted some great links there, Wormy!

I’d like to add (above) the late great Ivan Albright.

the late great Roger Dean.

not a Yes fan but goddam those albums were beautiful.

Hey I’m not an artist but I like to browse DevArt a lot. Check out my favorites maybe you guys will like some.

http://trav123456.deviantart.com/favourites/

Good links boys.

I recently saw this photo by Zhang Peng and thought it (and all his stuff really) was pretty cool.

I’m not a huge fan of modern art - show me a Velazquez on the other hand and now we’re talking.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:

not a Yes fan but goddam those albums were beautiful.[/quote]

Ha! I used to rock out to Yes - Rick Wakeman and his multi-tiered keyboards.

I just wanna say thanks for the deviantart link, i never knew about it before here. I’m not really the artsy type but i do enjoy looking at good pieces of artwork and even animations from this site. Thanks.

[quote]Mascherano wrote:

Ha! I used to rock out to Yes - Rick Wakeman and his multi-tiered keyboards. [/quote]

I still do, damnit!

He also did ASIA’s album artwork.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Mascherano wrote:

Ha! I used to rock out to Yes - Rick Wakeman and his multi-tiered keyboards. [/quote]

I still do, damnit!

He also did ASIA’s album artwork.[/quote]

Ha! Right on.

I used to be really into 70s rock. I saw Allman Bros 9 times (wtf?!). My first concert was when I was 14. Bad-ass bikers and tripped out hippies. Bizarro.

Ordinarily not a huge fan of representational art but I’m a huge fan of George Bellows early-1900 paintings of boxers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:George_Wesley_Bellows_001.jpg

BTW, saying you “don’t usually like art” is like saying “I don’t usually like life.”

[quote]Mascherano wrote:

I like Rick Wakeman ‘‘the six wives of henry VII’’ album
It has been a while since I listened to it

Not necessarily.

Not everyone has the brain functioning to be able to do so. For example I am a very nonvisual person. I really can’t visualize anything in my head except in the vaguest sense. I can’t even picture in my head, for example, the faces of people I know well, although I do recognize them when I see them of course. While certainly I do like some drawings, pictures, or paintings, I probably fundamentally can’t get the enjoyment and appreciation that a more visual person can.

The odd thing though is that when dreaming, in my case the visual representation is very accurate and detailed, and proceeding as if in realtime, which would seem to imply a tremendous amount of capacity somewhere to generate images. But it’s totally non-accessible to the conscious mind.

How that would carry over to supposedly not enjoying life would seem to make sense if a person positing this pretty much ONLY was able to enjoy the visual, which perhaps is the case in some instances but hopefully not presently.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Not necessarily.

Not everyone has the brain functioning to be able to do so. For example I am a very nonvisual person. I really can’t visualize anything in my head except in the vaguest sense. I can’t even picture in my head, for example, the faces of people I know well, although I do recognize them when I see them of course. While certainly I do like some drawings, pictures, or paintings, I probably fundamentally can’t get the enjoyment and appreciation that a more visual person can.

The odd thing though is that when dreaming, in my case the visual representation is very accurate and detailed, and proceeding as if in realtime, which would seem to imply a tremendous amount of capacity somewhere to generate images. But it’s totally non-accessible to the conscious mind.

How that would carry over to supposedly not enjoying life would seem to make sense if a person positing this pretty much ONLY was able to enjoy the visual, which perhaps is the case in some instances but hopefully not presently.[/quote]

Sorry. I’m an artist and I’m all about the visual image so I wouldn’t even want to try to imagine MY life without art. I see art in the every day, everywhere. To be without art would definitely kill the joy of living for me. I forget not everyone sees the world this way.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Not necessarily.

How that would carry over to supposedly not enjoying life would seem to make sense if a person positing this pretty much ONLY was able to enjoy the visual, which perhaps is the case in some instances but hopefully not presently.[/quote]

as an artist myself i have to say this is pretty unimpressive.
[/quote]

Agreed and the same.