T Nation

I Dont Know What To Do...

Im at 184 pounds,16% body fat. Ive been bulking for about 2 weeks, after cutting from 205 to 185. but i think im getting to much body fat, do you think i should cut down to 165 or something? i dont know.

Need a lot more background info to help you out… Anyway, how have you bulked for two weeks and lost a pound?

16% bodyfat is too high to start bulking IMO. I find that once you get close to 20% the time and effort to lean back down just isn’t worth it.

Single digits would be much a better starting point and bulk from there until you reach 14-16% at the most.

Also, the leaner you are, the more muscle you gain compared to fat during a bulking cycle as compared to a fatter individual.

In the long run you’ll probably end up bigger and leaner if you do your bulking and cutting while keeping your bodyfat in the single-digits and teens year-round.

The dietary discipline needed to get to the single digits will also reinforce eating habits that ensure your bulking cycles are “clean” bulks full of vegetables, healthy oils, and low-GI carbs.

Hope this helps,

ElbowStrike

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
16% bodyfat is too high to start bulking IMO. I find that once you get close to 20% the time and effort to lean back down just isn’t worth it.

Single digits would be much a better starting point and bulk from there until you reach 14-16% at the most.

Also, the leaner you are, the more muscle you gain compared to fat during a bulking cycle as compared to a fatter individual.

In the long run you’ll probably end up bigger and leaner if you do your bulking and cutting while keeping your bodyfat in the single-digits and teens year-round.

The dietary discipline needed to get to the single digits will also reinforce eating habits that ensure your bulking cycles are “clean” bulks full of vegetables, healthy oils, and low-GI carbs.

Hope this helps,

ElbowStrike[/quote]

I think you and the OP need to quit relying so much on numbers alone. First, not one person here asked HOW he knows his body fat is 16%. Second, I have known people who were caliper tested at 17% yet had abs showing.

Should someone like that also diet? Aside from advanced lifters getting ready for contests or extremely obese people, I think most would be better off NEVER worrying about what number their bf percentage is.

This guy “bulked” for two weeks and lost a pound. Something doesn’t sound right and generic advice may be the wrong advice.

Height?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ElbowStrike wrote:

Hope this helps,

ElbowStrike

I think you and the OP need to quit relying so much on numbers alone. First, not one person here asked HOW he knows his body fat is 16%. Second, I have known people who were caliper tested at 17% yet had abs showing.

Should someone like that also diet? Aside from advanced lifters getting ready for contests or extremely obese people, I think most would be better off NEVER worrying about what number their bf percentage is.

This guy “bulked” for two weeks and lost a pound. Something doesn’t sound right and generic advice may be the wrong advice.[/quote]

woops i meant i cut down to 180, now im 184. so im leaning towards cutting down to about 170 then ill clean bulk. also its hard to bulk when i eat healthy foods. you guys got any tips on how to get to about 3500 calories when i bulk?

[quote]ballin23 wrote:
woops i meant i cut down to 180, now im 184. so im leaning towards cutting down to about 170 then ill clean bulk. also its hard to bulk when i eat healthy foods. you guys got any tips on how to get to about 3500 calories when i bulk?[/quote]

Meat/eggs/dairy are the most nutrient/calorie dense foods you can eat while trying to gain weight.

Eat more meat/eggs/dairy.

[quote]ballin23 wrote:
Im at 184 pounds,16% body fat. Ive been bulking for about 2 weeks, after cutting from 205 to 185. but i think im getting to much body fat, do you think i should cut down to 165 or something? i dont know.[/quote]

I’m a simpleton, so take this advice with a grain of salt, but when people tell me that they don’t know whether they should cut or bulk, I ask them what, or who, they want to look like when all is said and done.

If, for example, you tell me that you’d love to be 200lbs ripped, and you tell me that you weigh 180lbs - I would recommend that you gain AT LEAST until you are 200lbs. The truth is that you have to gain more than that because you still won’t have the muscle mass to be a ripped 200.

If on the other hand you have the same goal, but weigh 250, I’d recommend to cut first.

All this to say that you have to focus on the big picture before worrying about the details.

Getting to your “ideal” bodyweight is the “big picture”.

Your “body composition” once you reach that goal is the “details”.

Don’t worry about the details until you establish the basics.

Hope this makes sense.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Height?[/quote]

Yeah, watch this guy be over 6 ft.