T Nation

I Don't Get the "Eat, Eat, Eat" Advice

I don’t get the eat, eat, eat advice…it just gets you fat from my experience.

See my response in your other thread. What does your training and nutrition look like?

I think you’re thinking of a dirty bulk. If you do that, yes you will get fat pretty quick. I don’t think anyone is recommending that if any part of your goals include aesthetics.

Mainly reserved for sub 160lb newbs who swear they cant gain weight/considering their first cycle/doing something dumb off the youtubezz

3 Likes

At 135, I don’t think you have a long way to go before being worried about being fat. If you only bench 120 as a grown man, but want to focus on having visible abs, your priorities are way off unless you’re trying to get with girls on MySpace

1 Like

Haha! I was 150 and dropped to 135 due to getting so fat from “bulking”.

Depends on the person really…if you are 6ft 4+, well under 200lbs and under 25 years old I’d say it’s pretty appropriate.

I just feel like I’ve wasted a lot of my time getting fat and then getting discouraged from lifting. I notice that trend with others too.

This may be the most self fulfilling sentence ever created.

1 Like

5’9 and 150? Maybe fat by cosmo magazine standards. Many/most women that height are still pretty slim and athletic at that weight. A dude at 150 is still skinny

3 Likes

Also, an extra pound of fat when accompanied by 25-50lbs of muscle might not make as much of a difference.

I look at this when I’m having mind-games with the scale.

But then again, if all you do is

without any sensible training to go with that then yeah, I’m with you.

I’m 5’6”, not 5’9”

I blame myself for getting fat. I’ve always used weightlifting as an excuse to overeat.

Have you tried adopting a more rigorous approach to eating in a surplus?

I.e., for simplicity let’s leave macros aside, and consider some numbers that I pulled out of my ass for convenience. Postulate you need 2000 calories per day to maintain your weight, and you want to gain muscle. Then, you could start off shooting for a 2300 calorie average. That’s 16100 calories in a week.

Let’s say you weight-train four times per week. Personally, my hunger is more ravenous on a training day, so I’d go for 2500 on training days rather than the average. Thus, it’d follow that an off-day (or a cardio day) would be just above 2000 calories.

Do that for two weeks, and re-evaluate. If you gained somewhere between 250-450 grams per week I’d say you are doing okay. Starting out I’d shoot for the lower end of the range until you become comfortable with seeing the scales move up. If you did not gain, increase your weekly caloric intake. If you gained more consider adding a fasted, brisk, walk upon waking on your off days. I wouldn’t restrict the calories back down unless you truly gained an excessive amount.

I’ve found that this helps stem overeating because I get to become satiated on my training days. And if your off-days are fueled primarily with meat and fats, you’d be pretty satiated on those too!

2 Likes

Or training?

I’m not a poster child for training and nutrition but I’ve noticed if there isn’t effort, there isn’t progress. Maybe attempt to reach outside of your comfort zone and force yourself to do things that seem slightly out of reach. I think you’d be surprised as to what you can do if you really try to put it some effort in.

Maybe you got fat because you weren’t training hard enough

2 Likes

Eat, eat, eat without any guidance on how to eat is probably gonna set most people up for failure. Eat a shit ton of meat and starchy carbs (whole wheat bread, rice, potatoes, etc), with enough fruit and vegetables to not cement your intestines shut. 150 grams of protein everyday is a minimum for someone your size. Even on a bulk you still need to eat 80-90% healthy foods. You will get fat and not grow much muscle if you eat healthy less than 80% of the time.

My dude, you have been a member here since 2007. How is any of this new to you?

9 Likes

Six and a half years ago, you were 140 pounds. Five years before that, you said “I started at 137 and I’m 150 now.”

In 2013, you were benching 85 for 3x5. 6 and a half years later it’s “I benched 120 lbs last week @ 4x6 (with so-so form…not always going to chest)”.

You’ve wasted time, but it wasn’t spent getting fat. Or getting strong. You’ve had a lot of repetitive threads asking the same type of “how do I eat?”-questions and have made the same unwarranted claims of “I bulked up and only got fat” several times over the years.

In reality, you’ve just been hamster-wheeling for over a decade. It happens to some guys, unfortunately, but it’s only fixable when you recognize the pattern and consciously decide to commit to changing your habits.

4 Likes

Sheesus, I didn’t realize this was one of those threads, sorry I commented.

2 Likes

I always hit a plateau where I can‘T increase my lifts and they aren’t impressive once I get there. At that point I’ve put on considerable fat and I’m sort of lost as to what to do…if I eat more I’ll just get fatter. I eventually then just regress back and lose the fat.

The big difference this time is my diet. I haven’t dropped 15 lbs of weight before in a conscious way where I track all my calories, etc. I did that so now I’m hoping I can take those skills to actually adding muscle in a small progressive manner.

I think the potential difference this time around is my expectations of muscle growth are way more realistic. Also, I’ve shown an ability to eat properly over an extended period of months to hit a goal of weight loss.

But yeah, I’m one of those guys that just doesn’t seem to “get it”. It’s very frustrating or I just have shit genes and I’m being unrealistic about what to expect.

I am going to wager that training has not been intense enough to require a caloric surplus to progress, which is why results were less than desired.

5 Likes