I Don't Get Easter

Though these little picture memes are often times inaccurate, they serve a purpose and get the party started.:slight_smile: One should always be sceptical.

People have always celebrated the coming of Spring. End of story. Its the season to plant some seed, sow some oats, get laid and make babies. :wink:

And…I’ll post some “internet” facts and excerpts to boot.

http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org/tracts/tract1.html

The first thing we must understand is that professing Christians were not the only ones who celebrated a festival called “Easter.”

“Ishtar”, which is pronounced “Easter” was a day that commemorated the resurrection of one of their gods that they called “Tammuz”, who was believed to be the only begotten son of the moon-goddess and the sun-god.

Wow, a son of god. What an original idea.

By the way…this is some sick shit.
After the death of his father, Nimrod married his own mother and became a powerful King.

http://www.retakingamerica.com/easter_and_ishtar.html

[i]Did the goddess Easter resurrect from the underground on the Spring Equinox? The pagan worshippers believed she did and worship her every year in the spring with orgies, rabbits and eggs…

…The story goes that Easter’s son goes to the under world and cannot get back up so she has to go down their to get Him. Easter resurrects back up in the spring. Supposedly Tammuz, her son, is born at Christmas, and dies at Halloween. All the witchcraft books tell the story and give all the pagan holidays which look just like the Christian holidays…

… the church today calls the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ after Easter, who is the Queen of Heaven and the woman who rides the beast of Revelation.[/i]

http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t020.html

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

[quote]Hold Up wrote:
I prefer celebrating the older version myself.[/quote]

I love how, on the internet, just because someone posts something with proper grammar, and the principle sounds plausible, it’s accepted as fact.

I saw the same thing when people ‘disproved’ the Maya 2012 thing by talking about the leap year.[/quote]

Yeah, they kinda did disprove it with the leap year. It was an ancient prophecy, two incompatible calendars and crucially, we didn’t die.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Surprise her with an Easter basket that has candy in it. Cadbury cream eggs, FTW.[/quote]

Im wondering if i can find Kinder Easter eggs somewhere… Do they make them here in the states? i usually only find them in latin america or airports.[/quote]

Kinder eggs illegal in the states for being a choking hazard.[/quote]

The eggs were bite-sized.

'scuse me, but can someone point out anywhers in teh Bible that it requires ya’all to celebrate the ressurection?

yeah, dint think so -

so much for the disclaimer of not turning this into a history lesson.

So if anyone is curious what I did, I shaved my balls, painted them in bright colors and hid them in her mouth. Happy fucking Easter.

-The Jewish Kid.

[quote]Edgy wrote:
'scuse me, but can someone point out anywhers in teh Bible that it requires ya’all to celebrate the ressurection?

yeah, dint think so - [/quote]

Edgy, have you even read the Bible? I mean, really read it? Be honest.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

[quote]Hold Up wrote:

I love how, on the internet, just because someone posts something with proper grammar, and the principle sounds plausible, it’s accepted as fact.

I saw the same thing when people ‘disproved’ the Maya 2012 thing by talking about the leap year.[/quote]

Yeah, they kinda did disprove it with the leap year. It was an ancient prophecy, two incompatible calendars and crucially, we didn’t die. [/quote]

facepalm I have to honestly ask, are you being serious? Just in case you are…

No. That is a very silly assertion to say that the Maya calendar was disproven by…the leap year.

They ‘disproved’ it with the fact that there was no Mayan 2012 prophecy to begin with.

The comments on the leap year were based on total ignorance of the calendar itself, and on some people taking the assertions about the non-prophecy at face value.

Allow me to explain.

Believe it or not, a Calendar from ~200 BCE, carved in Central America, did not actually say, “December 21st” on it. Amazing, right? No, the calendar was and always has been based on the relative position of earth, sun, and various stellar bodies. Modern researchers in turn took the calendar’s calculations, and then saw that this end date for the baktun* happened to be on the winter solstice of 2012.

It had ALWAYS accounted for the same drift in seasons that our calendar accounts for by using the Leap Year. In fact, up to about the 19th to early 20th century (LONG after the leap year was introduced to our calendar), the Maya calendar remained slightly more accurate in terms of staying true to the relative drift in seasons, compared to the Julian-Gregorian calendar, even with that calendar’s leap year calculations.

The calculation of the date of December 21st was based on when the 13th baktun of the long count calendar came to an end, which was incidentally on a winter solstice.

In case you didn’t check your calendar, December 21st was indeed on a winter solstice. The calendar calculated its own baktun end date perfectly well.

If the ‘leap year’ assertion was remotely valid, the calendar would not have ended on a winter solstice.

The leap year assertion was either a prank to see how far a rumor would go on the internet (kind of like the Ishtar thing), or an example of how a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

TL;DR version – Maya calendars accounted for the leap year, from the start. If they hadn’t, they would not have accurately calculated the solstices. There never was any 2012 prophecy to start with.

• – (a baktun is a very long cycle in the calendar, about 394 of our years)

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

yeah, dint think so - [/quote]

Edgy, have you even read the Bible? I mean, really read it? Be honest.

[/quote]
"13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. "

-1 Corinthians 15:13-14

It doesn’t say anywhere that it HAS to be celebrated, but without the resurrection, there is no hope. (If you are a believer that is) and if you are believer, then that would make this event the second biggest event after creation itself. I would say that alone would be enough for those who believe to WANT to celebrate, not NEED to.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

So if anyone is curious what I did, I shaved my balls, painted them in bright colors and hid them in her mouth. Happy fucking Easter.

-The Jewish Kid. [/quote]

You had a rabbi bless them first, right? because thats the only way to make it kosher.

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

[quote]Hold Up wrote:

Yeah, they kinda did disprove it with the leap year. It was an ancient prophecy, two incompatible calendars and crucially, we didn’t die. [/quote]

No. That is a very silly assertion to say that the Maya calendar was disproven by…the leap year.

They ‘disproved’ it with the fact that there was no Mayan 2012 prophecy to begin with.

The comments on the leap year were based on total ignorance of the calendar itself, and on some people taking the assertions about the non-prophecy at face value.

Allow me to explain.

Believe it or not, a Calendar from ~200 BCE, carved in Central America, did not actually say, “December 21st” on it. Amazing, right? No, the calendar was and always has been based on the relative position of earth, sun, and various stellar bodies. Modern researchers in turn took the calendar’s calculations, and then saw that this end date for the baktun* happened to be on the winter solstice of 2012.

It had ALWAYS accounted for the same drift in seasons that our calendar accounts for by using the Leap Year. In fact, up to about the 19th to early 20th century (LONG after the leap year was introduced to our calendar), the Maya calendar remained slightly more accurate in terms of staying true to the relative drift in seasons, compared to the Julian-Gregorian calendar, even with that calendar’s leap year calculations.

The calculation of the date of December 21st was based on when the 13th baktun of the long count calendar came to an end, which was incidentally on a winter solstice.

In case you didn’t check your calendar, December 21st was indeed on a winter solstice. The calendar calculated its own baktun end date perfectly well.

If the ‘leap year’ assertion was remotely valid, the calendar would not have ended on a winter solstice.

The leap year assertion was either a prank to see how far a rumor would go on the internet (kind of like the Ishtar thing), or an example of how a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

TL;DR version – Maya calendars accounted for the leap year, from the start. If they hadn’t, they would not have accurately calculated the solstices. There never was any 2012 prophecy to start with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_calendar[/quote]

Good post. I will admit that, though I pride myself on my skepticism, and typically start ANYTHING I read on facebook et al. from the position of DIS-belief; because it confirmed my previously held biases, I actually did let myself believe the meme that the leap year issue disproved the Mayan doomsday prediction. This is the first time I have recognized that the Mayans might have already had the leap years calculated into their own calendars, and not been working off of our system.

Thanks for teaching me something and for the little dose of humility that I think all of us periodically need, particularly in these narcissistic times.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
The holiday Easter is about the resurrection of Jesus Christ. [/quote]

The word “easter” (along with the eggs, etc) may very well have pagan origin (notably the Anglo-Saxon goddess, Ä?ostre) but the original word for the Christian festival (in Latin or Greek, which were the original languages of the Christian texts) was “Pascha” derived from the Hebrew term Pesach (פֶּסַ×?), known in English as “Passover.”

Whatever the theological complaints regarding Easter (and I can espouse a few, if desired), the theological origin is a Jewish sect and has squat to do with Indo-European paganism.

I would also note one can go grab contemporaneous Hebrew text from the Roman occupation of Israel and find references to a heretic by the name of Yeshua who got crucified and whose body (if you follow the non-Christian texts) was stolen by his trouble-making followers.

Where the rubber meets the road on the issue is not the existence of this Yeshua, nor some obscure Anglo-Saxon goddess, but whether the gentleman was properly crucified as a heretic/trouble-maker or a wholly unexpected form of the mosiach.

Can’t believe I am the one defending Easter.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

That’s great. Now what about my chess question?

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

That’s great. Now what about my chess question?[/quote]

What chess question?

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
The holiday Easter is about the resurrection of Jesus Christ. [/quote]

The word “easter” (along with the eggs, etc) may very well have pagan origin (notably the Anglo-Saxon goddess, Ã??ostre) but the original word for the Christian festival (in Latin or Greek, which were the original languages of the Christian texts) was “Pascha” derived from the Hebrew term Pesach (Ã?¤Ã?¶Ã?¼Ã?¡Ã?·Ã??), known in English as “Passover.”

Whatever the theological complaints regarding Easter (and I can espouse a few, if desired), the theological origin is a Jewish sect and has squat to do with Indo-European paganism.

I would also note one can go grab contemporaneous Hebrew text from the Roman occupation of Israel and find references to a heretic by the name of Yeshua who got crucified and whose body (if you follow the non-Christian texts) was stolen by his trouble-making followers.

Where the rubber meets the road on the issue is not the existence of this Yeshua, nor some obscure Anglo-Saxon goddess, but whether the gentleman was properly crucified as a heretic/trouble-maker or a wholly unexpected form of the mosiach.

Can’t believe I am the one defending Easter.[/quote]
The Force is strong with this one.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

That’s great. Now what about my chess question?[/quote]

What chess question? [/quote]

On the previous page I asked if you are a chess player.

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

[quote]Hold Up wrote:

Allow me to explain.

Or you could’ve just said that nobody died instead of chicken chesting. The Mayan calendar would not have matched up with our calendar without some reference to leap years, as leap years are what keep the modern calendar in synch with the orbits of the Sun and moon. Lunar and solar orbits are the common denominator in all calendars. Except those seen in erotic calendars, like the type seen in a mechanic’s office.Although it could be said that those are also heavenly bodies that help the days go by.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

[quote]Hold Up wrote:

Allow me to explain.

Or you could’ve just said that nobody died instead of chicken chesting. The Mayan calendar would not have matched up with our calendar without some reference to leap years, as leap years are what keep the modern calendar in synch with the orbits of the Sun and moon. Lunar and solar orbits are the common denominator in all calendars. Except those seen in erotic calendars, like the type seen in a mechanic’s office.Although it could be said that those are also heavenly bodies that help the days go by.[/quote]
Chicken Chesting…is that the american verson of a Russian Steamboat?

[quote]dshroy wrote:
Chicken Chesting…is that the american verson of a Russian Steamboat?[/quote]

You mean Cleveland Steamer?

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]dshroy wrote:

You mean Cleveland Steamer?[/quote]
LOL nope. Russian Steamboat. Google it. I would post a pic, but I’m at work.

[quote]dshroy wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]dshroy wrote:

You mean Cleveland Steamer?[/quote]
LOL nope. Russian Steamboat. Google it. I would post a pic, but I’m at work.[/quote]

I think I’m confused between Steamboat and Steamroller, one being the blunt thing, the other being the scat fetish act.