I Don't Gain Weight

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:
Well sadly enough here are some of my lifts…
I haven’t maxed squat or deadlift ever and my last bench max was a month ago +…

Bench (widegrip) : 185
Squat: ?
Deadlift: ?

I’m around 155 lbs and I’m 6’ tall. This is my routine…

Monday = Chest/Back
4 x 6 on all of my exercises. (except bi and tri day)

Deadlift
Bench (widegrip)
Barbell Row
Incline Dumbell
Lat Pulldown (or pull ups)
Flat Dumbell Bench

Tuesday = off

Wednesday = Bi and Tri

EZ bar curl 3 x 6,6,8
Close grip bench 3 x 6,6,8
Seated Dumbell curl 3 x 8,8,10
Lying triceps extension 3 x 8,8,10
Cable curls 3 x 10,10,12
Pushdown 3 x 10,10,12

Thursday: Legs

Squat
Legpress
Leg extension
Leg Curls
Calf raises

Friday: Off

Saturday: Shoulders

Military press (behind neck)
Arnolds
Lateral raises
Front Raises

I have been training for not quite a year. And I’m going to school, so maintaining an “elite” diet is near impossible but I can try. So I wake up, eat breakfast usually containing of eggs, peanutbutter toast, and 2 glasses of milk and maybe some orange juice and a vitamin. Before and sometimes after going to the gym, I have a Whey protien shake. Come around lunch time, I have usually meat as in Chicken, Fish, or steak, and if not it’s some hefty ham & cheese sammiches. Usually have cottage cheese then and before bed. And supper is usually steak or hamburger.

So there ya go, help me out!
[/quote]

Well I would definitely take a look at the link I sent you to Cy Willson’s Diet for Skinny Bastards, as I’m guessing you have a rocket fast metabolism.

In terms of training, what are your main goals right now?

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:
Well sadly enough here are some of my lifts…
I haven’t maxed squat or deadlift ever and my last bench max was a month ago +…

Bench (widegrip) : 185
Squat: ?
Deadlift: ?

I’m around 155 lbs and I’m 6’ tall. This is my routine…

Monday = Chest/Back
4 x 6 on all of my exercises. (except bi and tri day)

Deadlift
Bench (widegrip)
Barbell Row
Incline Dumbell
Lat Pulldown (or pull ups)
Flat Dumbell Bench

Tuesday = off

Wednesday = Bi and Tri

EZ bar curl 3 x 6,6,8
Close grip bench 3 x 6,6,8
Seated Dumbell curl 3 x 8,8,10
Lying triceps extension 3 x 8,8,10
Cable curls 3 x 10,10,12
Pushdown 3 x 10,10,12

Thursday: Legs

Squat
Legpress
Leg extension
Leg Curls
Calf raises

Friday: Off

Saturday: Shoulders

Military press (behind neck)
Arnolds
Lateral raises
Front Raises

I have been training for not quite a year. And I’m going to school, so maintaining an “elite” diet is near impossible but I can try. So I wake up, eat breakfast usually containing of eggs, peanutbutter toast, and 2 glasses of milk and maybe some orange juice and a vitamin. Before and sometimes after going to the gym, I have a Whey protien shake. Come around lunch time, I have usually meat as in Chicken, Fish, or steak, and if not it’s some hefty ham & cheese sammiches. Usually have cottage cheese then and before bed. And supper is usually steak or hamburger.

[/quote]

To be perfectly honest, it doesn’t sound like you’re eating 4000 kcals per day to me. I’d second the food log suggestion. Keep it for two weeks, write down absolutely everything that you eat and then you’ll be able to know for certain how much you’re eating.

You should also check out Berardi’s “Massive Eating Reloaded” (part 1 would be more applicable for this instance). Once you get the “7 habits” down and are keeping an accurate food log, then start playing with increasing calories.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459429&cr=

Also, about the “I want to gain muscle, not fat” statement. Well, to be perfectly frank, you’re not gaining muscle on your current diet, so you’re going to have to come to terms with the fact that you’re going to have to eat more. Second, you need to realize that if you’re eating clean food and aren’t going crazy with the calories, you don’t need to worry too much about adding too much fat. It’s pretty obvious from your posts that you’re naturally ectomorphic, and getting fat probably isn’t going to be all that much of a danger for you.

Good training,

Sentoguy

In addition to what has been said - nutrition, of course, being the main factor here, I’d switch up the routine as well.

A full day each for arms and shoulders on one hand and doing deads, rows, pulldowns, barbell and two versions of dumbbell bench presses in the same workout on the other hand doesn’t sound like a good idea.

I’d try a program from this site, maybe ABBH or WSSB. A version of Starr/Pendlay 5x5 is also a good choice.

Your food log needs more information. For example, how big a glass of milk, and is it whole milk or 2% or…?

When you say 4k calories, are you guestimating, or are you carefully calculating?

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:

[/quote]

EAT MORE. Seriously, I eat more than you and I’m cutting my weight down. I used to come up with all sorts of reasons why I wasn’t gaining weight, but the fact is, the simple advice of “lift heavy shit, and eat big” is really about the best advice you can get for gaining weight.

Eat more, first of all. Also get plenty of sleep and try to conserve calories. Read Ian King’s “Bulk-Building Workout” article for some ideas.

Well, I am reading the two articles you guys have suggested and I’m learning a lot. As for my goals, I am looking to become huge and strong. I don’t think those are conflicting goals, and doesn’t one come with the other?

Anyways I agree the program needs to be switched up and so does my nutrition. Honestly I don’t know for sure of my 4k + calorie intake, but I eat a lot and I can’t be too far off, but yes I will make a food log and eat as the articles advise. I’ll also look into one of those programs. Thanks.

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:
Well, I am reading the two articles you guys have suggested and I’m learning a lot. As for my goals, I am looking to become huge and strong. I don’t think those are conflicting goals, and doesn’t one come with the other? Anyways I agree the program needs to be switched up and so does my nutrition. Honestly I don’t know for sure of my 4k + calorie intake, but I eat a lot and I can’t be too far off, but yes I will make a food log and eat as the articles advise. I’ll also look into one of those programs. Thanks.[/quote]

One of Berardi’s 7 habits is for males to get between 40-60 grams of a complete, lean protein source at each meal. Another is to eat something every 2-3 hours, but you could open that window up to 2-4. At about 155, if you wake up, say, on a weekend, at noon, and go to bed around 4 am, if you ate every 3 hours, at the least, you should get 40 grams of complete protein in at every meal, about 240 grams, which is a little over 1.5 times your current bodyweight. If I read correctly, you’re around 6 feet tall, so you don’t need to be worried about having too many carbs at this point in the game, you need all the protein, carbs, and healthy fats you can get.

As for supplements, I don’t know what kind of budget you are on, but some suggestions would be Biotests Surge, Metabolic Drive Complete, Flameout, and Creatine. Also, digestive enzymes may help you out in terms of absorption of all the food you’re puttind down, and a probiotic can help along those same lines. Nothing fancy, just real basic stuff.

In terms of your routine, variety can be a very good thing for you, but if for example, you do DeFranco’s program, stick with it for about 3 months before switching up, that way you can gauge how effective it was for you.

Doing some kind of conditioning/GPP work 3 times per week at a high intensity is also a good idea.

Alright, thanks for the tips. What is your take on pill creatine? Or should I just get the real stuff? Also, help me out. I go to school from 8:00-2:30… How would you suggest to get eating in every 2-4 hours? Just like good breakfast, lunch and snack, dinner and before bed eating?

Hey man,
I think this recent article by Tony Gentilcore will help you out alot. Give that a read and then hit us back with any questions…
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1654364&cr=dietAndNutrition

Novagreg, thanks for the article, it’s gonna’ help. I think I’ll start posting an “eating log” so I can get some constructive criticism and make myself onto the right path. Ill start from my supper.

(DINNER)
1 cup cottage cheese (fat free) - 160 cal
13 g protien

2 cups of milk (2%) - 130 cal x 2
8 g protien x 2

2 hot pockets (pepperoni) - 360 cal x 2
10 g protien x 2

(BEFORE BED SNACK)

13 g protien

Total, in those two “meals” I got 1300 Calories
62 Grams of Protien

I personally think that’s an alright supper, considering it’s hot pockets, which isn’t really that bad for you… I’ll post tomorrow for breakfast and what not… (and when I say “cups of milk” or whatever, I actually measured out in the measuring cup, just incase there is any confusion)

Like everyone said, you need to eat more. The quality of your food doesn’t look very good either. Even if you were not lacking in calories, you’d be lacking in nutrition. I see no fruits and vegetables. Get some better and more varied protein sources too-beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs, egg beaters. You should also add more monos and polys to your diet. Fish oil, olive oil, etc…It will help you add calories too.

Alright, I’ll do that. Thanks.

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:
Novagreg, thanks for the article, it’s gonna’ help. I think I’ll start posting an “eating log” so I can get some constructive criticism and make myself onto the right path. Ill start from my supper.

(DINNER)
13 g protien

2 cups of milk (2%) - 130 cal x 2
8 g protien x 2

2 hot pockets (pepperoni) - 360 cal x 2
10 g protien x 2

(BEFORE BED SNACK)

13 g protien

Total, in those two “meals” I got 1300 Calories
62 Grams of Protien

I personally think that’s an alright supper, considering it’s hot pockets, which isn’t really that bad for you… I’ll post tomorrow for breakfast and what not… (and when I say “cups of milk” or whatever, I actually measured out in the measuring cup, just incase there is any confusion)

[/quote]

dude hot pockets… your diet is horrible

Jesus Christ, I’m only 16, I’m not a “master of the grill” and I’m not made of money, so I can’t have steak or chicken every night.

Hey man,
Didn’t realize you were only 16 and still in high school. This article should help with some cost cutting…

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1720940&cr=features

Thanks novagreg, I guess a lot of people assume that most people are older than me. Again, thanks…

i am 21, i live alone, im 20 grand in debt, i cook all my own food.

i NEVER buy anything at a fast food joint, or from a vending machine. i cook all my meals on sunday, then eat them throughout the day

i work part time as well as go to class and i still eat healthier than you

and i spend almost 300 bucks a month on groceries, whey, vitamins, oils, and creatine.

know how i afford it?

NO bar hopping, NO movies, NO cellphone, i wear all my clothes 2, 3 ,4 times, i buy nothing except pay rent, and food, and internet.

in the summer when i didn’t have a free bus pass from the school i would run to my classes, 8k.

honestly, the things worth having the most are the hardest to acheive, but when it all boils down to it you CAN make sacrifices.

the tools are out there to learn how to cook, manage your time, spend money on food instead of fancy new sneakers, eat big, lift hard, you can do it.

There’s been a couple of lists of good foods posted here, and some threads on budget food lists, etc. Do a search for ‘good food list’ or something like that, and follow up on anything that looks interesting.

Good luck!

Ok this is really simple.

Say that you need to eat every 2.5 hours but you have limitations because of school.

Here it goes

xxxxxxxCardio
0730-0800 Breakfast (as much as you can)

1030-1100 Shake in your locker (while moving from class or a Sandwich pre-made.

1200-1300 Cafeteria Lunch or Brown bad (home)

1430-1500 Another sandwich or some Fast Food
xxxxxxxTime to Train
1730-1800 Dinner (at home)
xxxxxxxStudy Time or Cardio
2030-2100 Leftover from dinner
xxxxxxxLight walk or play basketball or School

2300 Sleep time

To be honest, you can’t gain a lot of muscle without gaining some fat and water retention. It is just part of this game. Some people, like yourself, can handle more carbs. However there is so much fear nowadays about gaining fat and becoming socially undesirable that good old fashioned home food is being replaced by Muscle Milk and whey isolates.

Don’t fall for that, Whole food is better and cheaper in the long-run.