I Don't Fit In...

Im with you my friend.

I had the same experience in college. When I got out, I found a great job in law enforcement and married an almost perfect woman. We have a great house, a comfortable living and I spend my time around the same type of people that you would like to be around. The education will open up doors for you. Once your done with school, find some place to live where you will be happy and things will be good. Trust me.

Well, I think there’s some truth to what you say, and I sympathize with what you’re going through. But it’s easy to judge when looking from the outside. There is more to the rest of the school than you see. And why not be happy and carefree as long as you can? I was lucky enough to be able to go through college without worrying about much more than making good grades and my athletic performance. You just had to grow up faster than they did. Their time will come.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20060722/lbo060723.gif

Everyone is different. I guess it takes a while to figure out that this is a good thing.

From Prof X

“The one truth is that five years from now, the decisions you make right now will either put you ahead or allow you to fall behind. In five years, that one party won’t mean much.”

I certainly wished I would have had this tatooed to my forehead when I was your age.

If you get NOTHING else out of this thread, the above passage is what you should take away.

For what its worth, if you want someone to chat with, PM me. I’m 44 and I have alot of the same thoughts you do.

I happen to think we need more folks like you and a lot less of the jackasses that are running around now.

Your subject line is not something you need to concern yourself with at this moment.

Right now I have much respect for you. Anyone who can leave the farm and put himself through college deserves mad props.

I didn’t have the chance to go to college but I wasted my younger years, late teens early twenties, working my ass of trying to learn evrything I could in the oil field. I busted my ass worked long hours and eventually it paid off.

I had people I associated with thier parents paid for thier college, dorm, books, automobile, groceries, etc… These people looked down on me for working constantly and more or less doing what I had to do to survive.

My hard work paid off, I got a kick ass job making close to 100G’s a year. I met abeautiful woman, and we have a new house and two kids, are vehicles are paid off, and we are in our relaxing and partying mode.

The other kids I knew, most of them work mediocre jobs cause they fucked off during college or got discouraged because they didn’t have any drive or initiative to try and attain thier goals.

Keep on me keepin on man, there is a time for celebration. What until it’s your time.

Bullpup

There have already been a lot of great posts here, I just wanted to add that people seem to find people who are like minded, somehow.

I know I felt the same way for a long time. In high school I missed every single weekend of spring/summer because I had training in Toronto 5 hours away with the provincial team. I missed almost every school dance, had a fairly ianctive social life but was fulfilled with my pursuits and the few meaningful relationships I had. I was buddies with everyone, but very few people are interested in the lifestyle it takes to pursue a passion.

I really never had girlfriends who lifted and it was hard to find anyone who wanted to be in a weekday relationship!

The bottom line is that if you want to rise above anything, gain any kind of mobility (socio-economic, educational, etc) you can’t ever “fit” in because you are alwas in motion…moving toward something better. Fitting in suggests a kind of stasis to me.

I’ve found good company when I’ve just stuck to my goals of being a well-educated, learning-hungry female athlete. I’ve never let a guy steer me from my goals and would never hold anyone back from theirs. As a result, I’ve found just a few great friends and developed relationships with guys who I have valued for that same initiative in life.

Being away from my training centre for the summer means jumping the turf fence at 5:15 am to train by myself, so I make dinner for friends or we check out a museum or something…social life does not have to = drinking.

Remember also that balance is important.
What you will remember is not every perfectly balanced meal or 9 hour sleep, but the occasional outing, where you heard some great stories and laughed till your abs hurt.
I still stick to my principles, but am more relaxed about enjoying fine foods and the occasional late night. I really don’t drink, so I take the initiative to suggest something else to do with friends.

If you want your environment to be different, be an agent for change.

Keep moving, changing, evolving… someone will be inspired and courageous enough to join in on the fun.