I DO NOT Have Trouble Gaining Weight...

Thanks Storm. That was very helpful.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]Khaine wrote:

I am carb cycling right now and the weight is piling on. Basically, I have 2 super high days, 2 high days, and 3 low days. Super high= at least 800g of carbs, 300g of protein and no added fats. High=500, 300, 100, Low= Less than 100, 300, 200. Over the last year, I have really learned how to manipulate my body composition. My last three meets I have competed at 229, 255, and 271. Those were only between october last year and april this year.

Anyway, I was hoping others would share how they have gained weight in the past or how they are currently gaining. What works and what doesnt?[/quote]

I don’t know how much fat you have on your high days, but just assuming it’s around 50, that comes to 4850, 4100 and 3400 calories on super high, high and low days respectively. Is this what you ate to get to 271, or did you go way over these numbers when gaining?[/quote]

Basically at just like this, but not as structured. I had a few more cheat meals a week and oh boy were those cheat meals. Without the structure, my calories and macronutrient consumption was very inconsistant. This got me stuck around 270-272. I have been very strict with this plan for the past week and am already up 10lbs and I am hardly gaining any fat. The gain from 229 to 272 was pretty easy. From here up is going to take a little bit more work.[/quote]

So you’re gaining more weight, leaner, on less calories with this approach? Great stuff, man. Am I right in assuming that super high are lower body days, high are upper body days and low are off days, or is that inconsequential?

Thanks alot, appreciate the info.

@STB-
My diet has always sucked for the most part. When I’m trying to gain I usually introduce a weight gainer, switch to WHOLE milk for all shakes, sometimes add heavy cream to those, peanut butter etc…basically up the fats.

I consulted with a sports nutritionist and the diet he laid out for me sounds pretty similar to what you are running…except I wasn’t gaining weight on it, I’m guessing it was stripping fat. Basically high carb, medium carb, low carb days. High carbs were training days, oatmeal / waxy maize, rice, whole wheat bread, quinoa and maybe a piece of fruit. Medium carb days cut out some of the complex carbs and the low carb days were basically less than 100g carbs. Long story short a day was like this:

wake up: shake 50g protein (depending on high/low carb + oatmeal)
11: 8-12 grams lean meat (chicken, tuna, fish etc.) w/ or without rice depending on day.
1: 50g shake protein +/- waxy maize
3: 8-12 grams lean meat w/ sweet potato depending
workout: shake w/ bcaa, glutamine, waxy maize
post workout: 8-12 grams lean meat
Shake before bed, maybe natural peanut butter on celery or some almonds

[quote]Khaine wrote:

[quote]Khaine wrote:

I am carb cycling right now and the weight is piling on. Basically, I have 2 super high days, 2 high days, and 3 low days. Super high= at least 800g of carbs, 300g of protein and no added fats. High=500, 300, 100, Low= Less than 100, 300, 200. Over the last year, I have really learned how to manipulate my body composition. My last three meets I have competed at 229, 255, and 271. Those were only between october last year and april this year.

Anyway, I was hoping others would share how they have gained weight in the past or how they are currently gaining. What works and what doesnt?[/quote]

I don’t know how much fat you have on your high days, but just assuming it’s around 50, that comes to 4850, 4100 and 3400 calories on super high, high and low days respectively. Is this what you ate to get to 271, or did you go way over these numbers when gaining?[/quote]

Basically at just like this, but not as structured. I had a few more cheat meals a week and oh boy were those cheat meals. Without the structure, my calories and macronutrient consumption was very inconsistant. This got me stuck around 270-272. I have been very strict with this plan for the past week and am already up 10lbs and I am hardly gaining any fat. The gain from 229 to 272 was pretty easy. From here up is going to take a little bit more work.[/quote]

So you’re gaining more weight, leaner, on less calories with this approach? Great stuff, man. Am I right in assuming that super high are lower body days, high are upper body days and low are off days, or is that inconsequential?

Thanks alot, appreciate the info.[/quote]

Yes, super high days are ME and DE lower, high days are ME and DE upper, low days are extra workouts or rest days.

And those calorie numbers arent accurate. I only count the protein from protein foods, fat from fat sources, and carbs from carb foods. So, I don’t count the fat in a steak (which I eat a shitload of) or the protein in peanutbutter. See what I mean? I havent really sat down and figured it out but I wouldnt be suprised if my caloric intake on super high days, with a cheat meal, was over 10,000. I will count everything up and get an exact number on my next one, which will be thrusday.

[quote]Khaine wrote:

[quote]Khaine wrote:

Thanks alot, appreciate the info.[/quote]

Yes, super high days are ME and DE lower, high days are ME and DE upper, low days are extra workouts or rest days.

And those calorie numbers arent accurate. I only count the protein from protein foods, fat from fat sources, and carbs from carb foods. So, I don’t count the fat in a steak (which I eat a shitload of) or the protein in peanutbutter. See what I mean? I havent really sat down and figured it out but I wouldnt be suprised if my caloric intake on super high days, with a cheat meal, was over 10,000. I will count everything up and get an exact number on my next one, which will be thrusday.[/quote]

Ahh, alright, I get it. Yeah I wasn’t really seeing you going up to 270 on 4000 a day.

This is excellent stuff man, as usual.

I’ve gone from around 215 in August of last year to around 263 lately. Body fat has gone up too but not real high. Bioimpedence scale says I’m around 22%. I can’t give a detailed account of how I gained the weight, but I can say that I did it with high carbs, training hard, westside template 4 days a week. A couple weeks ago I kept track of my calories for a few days and found that I was getting around 5000 per day, very high carbs and protein over 250 cals.

I’m new to bulking so I’m interested to see how others have done it too, especially those who monitored it more than me.