I Did It... Now What?

I think I’ve finally reached my fat loss goals. I am the leanest, most muscular I have ever been and definitely in the best shape of my life. I have gone from around 179/180 to 165 in about a 5 weeks or so (3 of them spent really getting my diet in order calorie wise).

I have been doing Waterbury’s Summer Project and I am on week 5 (3 more to go). My question is, what do I do now? I don’t want to get much leaner, I could still work on that bottom row of abs, but I really want to start eating a little more. Its only the first of Spring, maintaing until beach season will surely make me mad.

How do I keep off this fat, possibly lose a tad more, albeit at a slower pace, and gain some muscle? I am currently taking in roughly >2100 calories and keeping carbs to breakfast. I am sure as the weather warms my activity levels will rise outside the gym.

Has my sensitivity to gaining fat decreased now? Increased? Carb sensitivity? Should I now increase carbs/protein/overall calories?

Sorry for all the questions but I really need some direction here, I don’t want to screw this up.

Thanks everyone.

CT has some great articles on building muscle without packing on the fat. You should check it out.

and they are called…? (i too am interested)

i’m pretty lean now and would like to do some reading on training/eating in order to stay lean…but get bigger.

Yeah…just look for articles from him…if I get a chance later I’ll look for them and send the links…too much work at the office right now to look for them

After dieting and having a calorie deficiency your body won’t do too well with getting right back on the calories.

If your diet was lower in carbs and higher in fat which I presume it was, you’ll need to maintain. Preferably 6-8 weeks. So if you’re happy with your weight, add one more meal, probably 350 calories wise. See how you respond to that for a week. I would again add another after week 1 and that should probably keep you happy for maintaining for 2 months.

After that, ramp up your calorie intake I would add 500 calories every 3 weeks until you reach double of what you’re at now. See how you respond to this. I, as well as others have had great success with using HOT-ROX during a “bulk” to keep fat loss minimal.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am not sure if I want to full out “bulk,” so I think I’d rather just add some calories to have some muscle gain and not go bat sh** crazy not being able to have that extra piece of chicken when I need it. Plus I think I feel a bit weaker and thats bothering me mentally.

n-box, I’m thinking about adding 300-350 calories in general for a while. Very clean protein, not really extra carbs.

But a quick question, what would (I would italicize would if I could) happen if I were to add say 500+ calories next week?

Would I basically just go ba-boom fat city and i’m the mayor?

Another vote for “add 300 calories every two weeks”.

Monitor your waist measurment (largest point round navel area) to see if you are gaining weight. Make sure you measure at same time of the day (my waist varies 1 inch thru day) and make sure you are doing same thing with your gut (I tell most people to flex abs and measure). Keep track of this to see if you’re gaining fat. If it goes up, cut 300 calories for a couple weeks then try going up again. Eventually you’ll get to a point that you can’t add more calories.

What to add? Protein is your friend of course. I would go as far as to tell you to drink 8-16oz of water before bed each night and have a protein shake waiting in the fridge. When you get up chug it and go back to bed (make sure its very low carb though please).

My 2 cents.
-Josh

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

If I add roughly 300 for the next couple weeks or so, say with that extra chicken breast or couple MD shakes, can I expect to see some muscle gain and not fat?

I ask this because I am sticking to the Waterbury Summer Project for the three last weeks and it is a pretty intensive strength program. I am also coupling that with its intense cardio and my own occasional riding.

I am finding myself somewhat perplexed by this “transition.”

hey poison

i wanted to share this wth you because i think i’m a few weeks ahead of you but with the same goals/mindset…i too only want to add muscle and stay away from fat.

i just ended my maintain period; i did it for 8 weeks. when i was done with my cutting phase; i was at 182, but after my 8wks of staying at the same caloric intake; i still lost a few more pounds; down to 178…but leveled out at an even 180 and have been there for about 6 weeks. its a boring period but its needed. it allows your body to adjust to your new weight.

I just put together my new menu for my phase 3: building period. i’m just starting off by adding a Grow! shake to my breakfast; its about 220 calories…gonna monitor my measurments and weight for a few weeks to see if that has a positive/negative effect.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
hey poison

i wanted to share this wth you because i think i’m a few weeks ahead of you but with the same goals/mindset…i too only want to add muscle and stay away from fat.

i just ended my maintain period; i did it for 8 weeks. when i was done with my cutting phase; i was at 182, but after my 8wks of staying at the same caloric intake; i still lost a few more pounds; down to 178…but leveled out at an even 180 and have been there for about 6 weeks. its a boring period but its needed. it allows your body to adjust to your new weight.

I just put together my new menu for my phase 3: building period. i’m just starting off by adding a Grow! shake to my breakfast; its about 220 calories…gonna monitor my measurments and weight for a few weeks to see if that has a positive/negative effect.
[/quote]

After you hit 180 and decided to maintain, did you add any calories or keep it at what you were cutting at? And how much weight did you drop?

Thanks for sharing, and congrats on your progress.

Been thinking, and maybe its because of my carb-up day I’m a little unstable…

But here’s my plan:

While taking into account the sound advice I have received here as far as “adding 300 calories” or so in the next weeks, I have decided to follow through with the Waterbury Summer Project for the next week of so then switch over to a more strength oriented program in which I can monitor my gains more closely (its difficult with the WSP considering there are different exercises every 2 weeks and every day is very different).

I’m thinking of going back to my old days of the “Book of Muscle” program by Ian King.

I have also been reading alot of CT and he seems to favor trying to even increase strength while dieting in order to maintain mass.

I will continue cardio, as well as biking and softball as it is finally warming up around here.

With this I can begin a slow and steady increase of calories, while maintaing and even losing more fat, and beginning to gain a tad of muscle. I will begin by adding calories to breakfast, sprinkle some during the day and maybe an extra tbs of natty pb at night.

I am extremely appreciative of all of your help on this board, you guys (and gals!) have already helped me lose at least 12 lbs of fat, and for that I thank you. My once hibernating abs (the top row at least) do as well.

What do you guys think?

bump?