I Did It!!! 405Lb. Close Grip Bench

Nice work Scotty!!! I’ve seen you throw around 3 plates long enough, it’s about time you throw 4 wheels on the bar:) Congrats.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Awesome job and I was happy about my 300 max today. Seriously, that’s strong mojo brother!

D[/quote]

Hear Hear! Scotty, did you use any program in particular?

[quote]scotty144 wrote:
Well, a number of things have been really helpfull. I think the biggest boost for my strength training was using a modified frquency. I trained 4x week. Mon,Tue,Thu and Fri. Each workout was a full body affair and each one was prioritized by one of the big 3 (squat, deadlift,bench).

So, a typical workout would be on chest day…bench of course, usually heavier…ie. 6 reps or less or a 5x5. Each exercise would be supersetted by an antagonist body part so chins or seated rows. Then typically I would squat. I love to squat so I was doing that 3x a week. I would mix it up…heavy on squat dominate day, 20’s perhaps on the off days or 12’s…no squatting on deadlift day.

Back of course would be deadlift dominated…heavier again…I also would do my OLY lifts on back day…usually snatch supersetted with standing press. Generally my legs would be pretty fried so I would skip them and do some curls instead.

Lather, rinse, repeat

Diet…well I was coming off a pretty strict diet so I am sure there was some rebound effect from that.

Supplements…since I am a big Poliquin fan…lots of fish oil and lots of BCAA’s (I really think those are great).

If you want more details I can go back through my training log and post some of the workouts.[/quote]

Thanks!

Nice lift bro, keep up the good work (makin’ us old farts proud!)

[quote]arnoud verschoor wrote:
nothing but respect, that is some volume you’re lifting man! 8x8 squats…[/quote]

And he did that the day after 6x6 squats with the same weight! It must have gone up easily the day before.

Good hard training.

Meant to say also, great work. I am still trying to shoot for 300, so seeing your 405 makes me want to work even harder.

A question about your training: How can you do such a high volume? 8 sets of 10 on some of the lifts? That’s crazy. I’m not trying to doubt what you do, just wondering the reasoning behind such a high volume. Is this the type of training you did with Poliquin?

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
Meant to say also, great work. I am still trying to shoot for 300, so seeing your 405 makes me want to work even harder.

A question about your training: How can you do such a high volume? 8 sets of 10 on some of the lifts? That’s crazy. I’m not trying to doubt what you do, just wondering the reasoning behind such a high volume. Is this the type of training you did with Poliquin?[/quote]

It is from one of Poliquin’s theories. A period of high(er) volume is used to hypertrophy the targeted muscles. Then you switch over to an ‘Intensity’ phase to srengthen.

dude that so kickass, that’s a real motivator for me…

How long do these periods last? Also, did you do any accessory work for your lifts?

[quote]scotty144 wrote:
Dre Cappa wrote:

A question about your training: How can you do such a high volume? 8 sets of 10 on some of the lifts? That’s crazy. I’m not trying to doubt what you do, just wondering the reasoning behind such a high volume. Is this the type of training you did with Poliquin?

It is from one of Poliquin’s theories. A period of high(er) volume is used to hypertrophy the targeted muscles. Then you switch over to an ‘Intensity’ phase to srengthen.

[/quote]

Each phase is usually 4-6 weeks in length. Accessory work? Like triceps or board presses? No, I haven’t been doing anything like that. The occasional external rotator work though.

Just a congrats…good lifting.

I really like the way you set up your training, too. I train similarly and it works for me.

Good work.