T Nation

I Did It!!! 405Lb. Close Grip Bench

After reading Tony Gentilcore’s latest article I thought it would be time for me to ‘man up’ and test my 1 RM’s.

Since I am rehabing a bad ankle sprain squats and deadlifts will be out for the next little while. But I nailed my goal today…The 4 plate bench and actually it is a narrow grip since I find that easier on my shoulders.

Current stats.
5’9"
210 lbs

Awesome! Congrats on the PR.

What was the most you’ve done with it before?

Must feel great to see all 4 plates on each side, especially after you just got done lifting it.

Nice lift man!

Hope that ankle feels better

Way to make me feel inadequate!
Good job, man.

Thanks for the congratulations. I had done 385 at a Bobsled testing camp about 6 years ago. Shortly after I tore a bicep which had me out of the game for a long time.

I was lucky enough to train with Charles Poliquin around Xmas and I hit a really easy 375 but had never attempted anything higher.

4 plates has always been a huge goal and I almost psyched myself out by seeing it sitting there on the bar. My spotter was very excited and couldn’t get over how much the bar bent when I lifted it off the rack.

suprised I’m the first one asking it, but how did you do it?

Awesome job and I was happy about my 300 max today. Seriously, that’s strong mojo brother!

D

[quote]arnoud verschoor wrote:
suprised I’m the first one asking it, but how did you do it?[/quote]

Well, I unracked the weight…slowly lowered to my chest…slight pause and then I lifted it up and re-racked :wink:

I doubt that is what you meant…are you looking for how I have trained?

Ha! yeah, I meant how you trained for it. Hope it’s not too much asked.

Well, a number of things have been really helpfull. I think the biggest boost for my strength training was using a modified frquency. I trained 4x week. Mon,Tue,Thu and Fri. Each workout was a full body affair and each one was prioritized by one of the big 3 (squat, deadlift,bench).

So, a typical workout would be on chest day…bench of course, usually heavier…ie. 6 reps or less or a 5x5. Each exercise would be supersetted by an antagonist body part so chins or seated rows. Then typically I would squat. I love to squat so I was doing that 3x a week. I would mix it up…heavy on squat dominate day, 20’s perhaps on the off days or 12’s…no squatting on deadlift day.

Back of course would be deadlift dominated…heavier again…I also would do my OLY lifts on back day…usually snatch supersetted with standing press. Generally my legs would be pretty fried so I would skip them and do some curls instead.

Lather, rinse, repeat

Diet…well I was coming off a pretty strict diet so I am sure there was some rebound effect from that.

Supplements…since I am a big Poliquin fan…lots of fish oil and lots of BCAA’s (I really think those are great).

If you want more details I can go back through my training log and post some of the workouts.

Thanks for the reply! If it’s not too much trouble I’d love the details…A big poliquin fan here too by the way.

[quote]scotty144 wrote:
Well, a number of things have been really helpfull. I think the biggest boost for my strength training was using a modified frquency. I trained 4x week. Mon,Tue,Thu and Fri. Each workout was a full body affair and each one was prioritized by one of the big 3 (squat, deadlift,bench).

So, a typical workout would be on chest day…bench of course, usually heavier…ie. 6 reps or less or a 5x5. Each exercise would be supersetted by an antagonist body part so chins or seated rows. Then typically I would squat. I love to squat so I was doing that 3x a week. I would mix it up…heavy on squat dominate day, 20’s perhaps on the off days or 12’s…no squatting on deadlift day.

Back of course would be deadlift dominated…heavier again…I also would do my OLY lifts on back day…usually snatch supersetted with standing press. Generally my legs would be pretty fried so I would skip them and do some curls instead.

Lather, rinse, repeat

Diet…well I was coming off a pretty strict diet so I am sure there was some rebound effect from that.

Supplements…since I am a big Poliquin fan…lots of fish oil and lots of BCAA’s (I really think those are great).

If you want more details I can go back through my training log and post some of the workouts.[/quote]

Nice job. Smart approach.

Post your log! Your routine sounds interesting.

To post the entire log would be way too long…but here are a few of the workouts.

Mar 19
a-flat bench 6x6x275
b- semi supinated chins 6x6x25
squat 6x6x315

Mar 27
a- standing military 6x6x185
b- seated lateral raise 6x6x20

a- pullups 6x6x15
b- seated row 6x6x160

squat 6x6x315

Mar 28

squats 8x8x315

bench 5x5x285

Apr 2

a- deadlift 8x10x315
b- bench 8x10x205

a- seated row 3x12x135
b- flat flye 3x12x45

Apr 15

a- hang snatch 10x3x165
b- standing military 10x6x165

a- db curl 10x6x45
b- lying db ext 10x6x45

Apr 16

a- squat 10x6x335
b- glute/ham/gastroc raise 10x12x0

chinups amrap 3x

May 21

a- deadlift 8x5x405
b- incl press 8x6x225

a- seated row 3x8x190
b- front squat 3x3x315

Jun 4
a- bench 5x5x315
b- chins 5x5x45

a-squat- 4x20x225
b flat flye 4x20x40

Awesome lift man. I hope to hit the 405 by the end of the summer. Current best 385. Keep trucking.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

38, hopefully I still have many more good years left in me!!!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

nothing but respect, that is some volume you’re lifting man! 8x8 squats…

Nice lift bro!!! What are your 1RM’s in the squat and dead?