I Did a Search.......

And turned up a couple questions along this vein, but no answers. As if my week wasn’t already buggered up enough, I’ve managed to pull my inside calf muscle (M.gastrocnemius). I accomplished this feat of strength on Tuesday. I’ve done the R.I.C.E for a couple days and the thing is still sitting in a tender ball about mid-calf. Doc looked at it yesterday and prescribed stretching. He looked at me rather oddly when I asked if I could help things along by increasing something nutritionally. Ideas?

I’m thinking since meeting with my trainer on Monday and getting the okay to up the cals 600 or so that I might just add a serving of Surge mid-day, since it’s supposed to help with recovery or am I being dense?

And off-topic, how do you do it? Eating all those cals everyday? I’ve been pretty strict at 1200 for well over a year and now am trying to find room for 1800+. I’m already never hungry as it is now. I don’t know where I’m going to put anymore food in my daily routine.

Signed,
The Gimp

Trouble finding room for 1800? Try stuffing in 6000, while keeping it relatively clean. Somedays I just want to say “Screw it, I’ll drink 2 gallons of chocolate milk, and eat a birthday cake and some cookies for dessert”.

Anyway, that brings me to my recommendation for the calorie upping. IF you really can’t stomach squeezing more food in here and there, then drinking some extra calories is a good idea. Another good idea might be to start adding oils and butter to your cooking, if you currently grill or use PAM or some such.

Yup denser foods are a god send. They will allow you to eat the same volume with more k/cals. Like add back in some whole eggs as opposed to all ergg whites. more oats, and grains all of which are fairly high.

Nuts other good fats, and cuts of meat that arent so lean, not fatty but not quite as lean.

I would not suggest the Surge other than PWO or Pre/during. You really dont want that insulin reaction.

Hope that helps, Oh and I agree with Moon… 1800, You can do it. That really aint that much, YOU CAN DO IT> LOL

Phill

Regarding your calf

With your description of “balling” at mid calf, You should get an ultrasound to make sure you have not torn your plantaris. Not everyone even has this muscle and it is often forgotten about.

Quick recovery

Natural PB &/or bananas in your shakes.

[quote]phishdoc wrote:
Regarding your calf

With your description of “balling” at mid calf, You should get an ultrasound to make sure you have not torn your plantaris. Not everyone even has this muscle and it is often forgotten about.

Quick recovery

[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll mention that one when I go in for my follow up next week.

Thanks everyone else for the food ideas. I’m replacing the mid day orange with a banana and picked up some natural peanut butter and sweet potatoes. I just discovered sweet potatoe fries, yum yum who needs ketchup. Serious good fix for a sweet tooth.
Thanks