T Nation

I Did a 36 Hour Fast

Let me preface by saying that I don’t buy into the whole “detoxifying” mystique that seems to surround the idea of fasting. I wanted to give this a try partly because of the most recent Jonny Bowden article, as well as some anecdotal things I had heard. It also dawned on me that I’m almost 30 and haven’t gone a single day in my entire life without food. I figured I’d give it a shot…one day isn’t going to make or break a physique.

I stopped eating at about 5pm. I sipped on green tea and went to bed. The next morning, I brewed some extra strong coffee to “clear me out” so to speak, and the rest of the day I drank nothing but green tea. Overall about 3 liters of the stuff actually. Although I got very hungry around lunch time, from about 2pm on I didn’t feel any lethargy or sluggishness to speak of. On the contrary, I actually felt a lot better. Usually mid afternoon I feel like I need a nap…not on that day.

The next morning was “interesting” come bathroom time. I’d rather not get into the details but suffice it to say that what came out was “weird” to say the least. At about 9am, I had a normal breakfast.

Seriously, I felt absolutely GREAT for the three or four days following this experiment! It was like a mental fog was lifted. I was on fire at work, at the gym, and in my studies. I also looked better. I often get slight bags under my eyes…they literally vanished overnight and stayed away for a few days. People actually commented on this…“Pimpbot, you look great today!”

I enjoyed the results so much that I’m going to repeat this once a month.

Hmmm you’ve convinced me to try it.

What was your activity level like?

Activity level when? During/After the fast?

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Activity level when? During/After the fast?[/quote]

During.

Did you just sit around?

It was a normal work day. I didn’t go to the gym or anything but my work entails lots of walking and driving.

I did a ‘cleansing’ to prepare for the ol’ Ass-Cam procedure.

Won’t do that again for a long, long time.

I did the whole intermittent fasting/ Warrior Diet thing for about two and a half months and lost 40 pounds. I felt great and didn’t lose any strength, even got stronger in some of my smaller lifts. I noticed my shit was looking a lot more healthy and I was more regular.

I eat more often now since I’m only about 215 but I still skip meals. I eat once or twice a day now, three at the very most. Drink lots of water. I’m seeing gains in the weight room and in my body, so it’s working, for now. I’ll see where it takes me.

I guess it might have it’s place, but I love eating. Even when ‘cutting’.

I figure as long as I eat healthy foods and take my vitamins, I will be healthy. No need to really “cleanse” much.

And if I wanted to look good; there are other options.

Good work having the willpower though man, I couldn’t.

you drank lots of green tea while fasting ?

for me caffeine + empty stomach = nausea/vomiting

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
you drank lots of green tea while fasting ?

for me caffeine + empty stomach = nausea/vomiting[/quote]

The stuff I buy here in Japan has about half the caffeine and double the catechin content of most green teas. I had no problems

I want to try this to see how me body responds.

Would you guys recommedn taking HOT-ROX while fasting? I am taking it right now, but i can change it to green tea and extract when fasting.

[quote]cerote wrote:

Would you guys recommedn taking HOT-ROX while fasting? I am taking it right now, but i can change it to green tea and extract when fasting.

[/quote]

Noooooooooo. Lots of water and a mild brewed green tea is all I’d recommend. I’ve done a lot of fasts of various depths (once went 24h without food or water), and I’ve taken HOT-ROX on a few of these journies. It is not fun at all. Basically, read the bottle where it says “side effects” because you’ll be having all of those with a side order of acid reflux.

I thought it would be cool too, but it’s just not.

-Sab

[quote]Sabastian525 wrote:
cerote wrote:

Noooooooooo. Lots of water and a mild brewed green tea is all I’d recommend. I’ve done a lot of fasts of various depths (once went 24h without food or water), and I’ve taken HOT-ROX on a few of these journies. It is not fun at all. Basically, read the bottle where it says “side effects” because you’ll be having all of those with a side order of acid reflux.

I thought it would be cool too, but it’s just not.

-Sab[/quote]

Lol thanks for your advice

i agree with the no HOT-ROX, bad idea.

I did a 72 hour fast once, although i slipped up and ate 1 twizzler. If anything it was a definate test of mental fortitude. Although i don’t know if it was much good for anything else. I weighed 10lbs less at the end, but gained that back within a day and a half.