T Nation

I Designed a Damn Good Program

im doing the antagonist split with 4 days on and 3 days off and straight sets.

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Recovery
Day 3: Biceps/Triceps
Day 4: Quads/Hamstrings/calves/gluts
Day 5: Recovery
Day 6: Anterior and lateral delts/Rear delts
Day 7: Recovery

my splits are just how they were in the designing a dam good workout program article, but with the chest/back day it says since they’re both big muscle groups to order exercises in order of difficulty

so for chest/back i have: chest-supported rowing, bench press, lat pulldown variations, DB incline press, machine rear delt, flies variations

in that order, is that right? what about for deltoids? should i do 3 exercises from the “upper back rear deltoids” section and 3 from the " shoulders" section? wont most from the upper back section work mostly the upper back instead on the rear delts? the only ones i could see doing are the rear delt machine and the shrugs. and where do abdominals com into play? i also plan on throwing in some HIIT on one of the off days and NEPA walks on the rest of the off days to aid in recovery.

You are obviously free to workout how you like, but I think I prefer to work chest/bi on one day and back/tri on another day.

The chest and back are large areas and the overall volume for a day of working both, at least for me, would be quite a bit.

Plus, if you do:

Day 1: chest/bi
Day 2: back/tri
Day 3: rest (for instance)

You end up working the antagonists within a 24 hour period, so you are able to take advantage of its benefits as it pertains to recovery.

That’s just my opinion, though.

ahh i see. i never thought about that one, i think im gonna give it a try, because last chest/back workout left me slacking on the back part after doing chest.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
ahh i see. i never thought about that one, i think im gonna give it a try, because last chest/back workout left me slacking on the back part after doing chest.[/quote]

Thats why you do one chest exercise then one back exercise.

I found this works the best for me:

Mon: Legs
Tues: Shoulders/Triceps
Weds: OFF
Thurs: Back/Traps
Fri: OFF
Sat: Chest/Biceps
Sun: OFF

I’m trying to design a damn good program, too, and have been banging my head off a wall to place deadlifts. How do they fit in to other people’s splits?

Goodfellow - Would you do a deadlift set on Thurs and follow that up with some seated cable rows or DB rows?

Sorry if that’s a hi-jack, but it should probably be something the OP is considering, too.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Recovery
Day 3: Biceps/Triceps
Day 4: Quads/Hamstrings/calves/gluts
Day 5: Recovery
Day 6: Anterior and lateral delts/Rear delts
Day 7: Recovery

[/quote]

I agree with Ponce De Leon.

I never understood why someone would devote an entire day to training arms.

[quote]JCS19Y wrote:
I’m trying to design a damn good program, too, and have been banging my head off a wall to place deadlifts. How do they fit in to other people’s splits?

Goodfellow - Would you do a deadlift set on Thurs and follow that up with some seated cable rows or DB rows?

Sorry if that’s a hi-jack, but it should probably be something the OP is considering, too.[/quote]

How is your program currently designed?

In my opinion, Deadlifts should be the core exercise of your Back Day. What makes it so difficult to fit in?

For reference, I deadlift 3-days a week. I can’t imagine struggling to find a day to deadlift in any program.

OP, if you are doing a chest/back day, are you going to be doing deadlifts on the same day as squats or abandon them altogether? It doesn’t seem very balanced if one day is arms and another is your entire upperbody. Goodfellow’s program looks better imo.

I personally always do deadlift on back day, because it tends to work my back more than anything else. It also allows you to do squats on leg day aswell, having deadlifts and squats on the same day would not be that beneficial.

That being said, a couple of top natural BB’ng pro’s I’ve talked to recommend alternating between squats & deadlifts each week, as some people find it hard to recover doing both in the same week.

In that case (alternating between squats), i’d do deadlifts on leg day.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:

How is your program currently designed?

In my opinion, Deadlifts should be the core exercise of your Back Day. What makes it so difficult to fit in?

For reference, I deadlift 3-days a week. I can’t imagine struggling to find a day to deadlift in any program.[/quote]

I’ve been doing more total body work in the past. What I meant was more towards keeping leg day with squats and back day with deads enough apart, along with everything else. Not real keen on splits and how much load to take on in any consecutive days.

Overthinking the deads a little too much, probably. After reading all the ‘A damn good program’ articles and scouring the forums, I need a big dose of “Shut the hell up and lift”.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
talon2nr7588 wrote:
Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Recovery
Day 3: Biceps/Triceps
Day 4: Quads/Hamstrings/calves/gluts
Day 5: Recovery
Day 6: Anterior and lateral delts/Rear delts
Day 7: Recovery

I agree with Ponce De Leon.

I never understood why someone would devote an entire day to training arms.
[/quote]

Gee, I do it all of the time. It is easily understood when your fucking arms grow from it.

What is the best 4 day split?

Mine:

mon: shoulders, triceps
tue: off
wed: back, calves
thu: off
fri: chest, biceps
sat: thighs, abs
sun: off

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
JCS19Y wrote:

For reference, I deadlift 3-days a week. I can’t imagine struggling to find a day to deadlift in any program.[/quote]

how are you deadlifting 3 days per week with any kind of significant weight? i suppose it would be possible if you are only pulling an unloaded barbell.

i like to deadlift on my leg days.

p.s. i usually only work one muscle group per session. sometimes i will do two, but only if it is a large group paired with a small one(chest/biceps) or two small groups together(biceps/triceps.)

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Polish Rifle wrote:
talon2nr7588 wrote:
Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Recovery
Day 3: Biceps/Triceps
Day 4: Quads/Hamstrings/calves/gluts
Day 5: Recovery
Day 6: Anterior and lateral delts/Rear delts
Day 7: Recovery

I agree with Ponce De Leon.

I never understood why someone would devote an entire day to training arms.

Gee, I do it all of the time. It is easily understood when your fucking arms grow from it.[/quote]

and because if done otherwise it would take an additional 45 minutes? i dont know about you there Ponce but if im training chest with 4 exercises of 3-4 sets that doesnt leave me a lot of room for doing another 2 exercirses of 3-4 for biceps or triceps.

plus if my aim is to bring up every muscle as much as i can wouldnt it make more sense to train each muscle with as much focus as possible? i mean this is the bodybuilding section not the Chad Waterbury total-body-indirect-arm-work section, right?

I can understand an arm day, but a lateral/anterior/rear delt day?

[quote]Animal_Mother wrote:

how are you deadlifting 3 days per week with any kind of significant weight? i suppose it would be possible if you are only pulling an unloaded barbell.

i like to deadlift on my leg days.

p.s. i usually only work one muscle group per session. sometimes i will do two, but only if it is a large group paired with a small one(chest/biceps) or two small groups together(biceps/triceps.)[/quote]

It’s a Powerlifting Program - specifically Stephan Korte’s 3x3 Program: Bench, Squat, and Deadlift 3 days a week.

It’s based on percentages of your 1-rep max, so yes, weight is involved Einstein.

Try it sometime.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Gee, I do it all of the time. It is easily understood when your fucking arms grow from it.[/quote]

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Recovery
Day 3: Biceps/Triceps
Day 4: Quads/Hamstrings/calves/gluts
Day 5: Recovery
Day 6: Anterior and lateral delts/Rear delts
Day 7: Recovery

His proposed split hits his biceps and triceps on Day 1. Do you feel it makes sense to have the next workout day devoted entirely to arms?

Working on the antagonist approach, the routine might look someting like this:

Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Legs/Abs
Shoulder work

To each his own I suppose.

If you’re doing 4-5 day split routines there isn’t much room for deadlifting since it’s inherently a full-body movement. Try straight-leg DLs with squats on leg day, and then do rack pulls and weighted back extensions on back day.

Another option is adding a few heavy DL sets to arm day.

“how are you deadlifting 3 days per week with any kind of significant weight? i suppose it would be possible if you are only pulling an unloaded barbell.”

low reps and sets

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
“how are you deadlifting 3 days per week with any kind of significant weight? i suppose it would be possible if you are only pulling an unloaded barbell.”

low reps and sets[/quote]

Wrong.

The 1st 4 weeks of the program requires you to do 5-8 sets of 5 reps of Deadlifts and Squats and 5-8 sets of 6 reps on the Bench Press. Other than a few occasions, I performed all 8 sets of each exercise.

Again, try the routine befoe you write it off as bullshit. It was the hardest program I’ve ever followed, and the most rewarding from a size/strength standpoint.

You can find out everything you need to know here:

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm