'I Could Care Less' - Are You Sure?

Hmm

Interesting. Here in Australia we say “I couldn’t care less” so to say “I could care less” sounds just strange. Doesnt roll of the toung as nice i recon.

but that being said. Here in Australia we couldn’t care less what the rest of you think. We just know we are right

Why do people use a double negative when they want to reply in the negative?

Ahh, memories.

Saying “I couldn’t care less” has always made a lot more sense to me.

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Because Americans kicked the shit out of England before they even had an army.

Or…

The Americans saved the English in WWII.

Do the limes cause the English to have such bad teeth?

jk[/quote]

The Americans are essentially a British colony that got more powerful than its mother state.

Therefore i can conclude.

The British beat the British = British win

As for Americans saving the Brits in ww2 i think other certain events meant the Americans had to save themselves in ww2.

Besides we are helping you out with your oil war in Iraq so evens?

:smiley:

[quote]Webbykun wrote:
This has always kind of confused me so I’m going to finally ask. Why do people, predominantly Americans (a small observation I made) say “I could care less” when trying to illustrate the point that they don’t give a shit. Here in England we say “I couldn’t care less”. If you could care less, then it implies that you care at least on some level, therefore giving a shit. If you couldn’t care less then you don’t care about it in the slightest. So how come so many people say “I could care less”? Are they just idiots, is it slang or is there something I’m missing? I’m not perfect at grammar either so this is why I ask.[/quote]

Why is it that the English always seem to be trying to prove their superiority over Americans? I never see this go the other way. It’s fucking annoying.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:

[quote]Webbykun wrote:
This has always kind of confused me so I’m going to finally ask. Why do people, predominantly Americans (a small observation I made) say “I could care less” when trying to illustrate the point that they don’t give a shit. Here in England we say “I couldn’t care less”. If you could care less, then it implies that you care at least on some level, therefore giving a shit. If you couldn’t care less then you don’t care about it in the slightest. So how come so many people say “I could care less”? Are they just idiots, is it slang or is there something I’m missing? I’m not perfect at grammar either so this is why I ask.[/quote]

Why is it that the English always seem to be trying to prove their superiority over Americans? I never see this go the other way. It’s fucking annoying.
[/quote]

I sincerely hope that was sarcasm. I wasn’t trying to imply that we’re superior in any way, just a fact that only Americans use it. If you saw that link someone posted, it’s further evidence it’s an American colloquialism.

And if you wish to see Americans trying to prove their superiority over the British, you only need to look no further than this thread.

[quote]Webbykun wrote:

And if you wish to see Americans trying to prove their superiority over the British, you only need to look no further than this thread.
[/quote]

v.

Is anyone here attending the National Grammar Rodeo at the Sheridan hotel in Canada?

^Yeah, let’s talk about the Canadians instead.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Webbykun wrote:

[/quote]

v.

[/quote]

I did not directly insult anyone or any race, at least it was not my intention to do so. I said I simply made an observation, so I was curious as to the reason. Observation =/= insult. For example, observing someone has a different skin colour to you is pretty obvious, it does not mean you’re racist though.

The first few derogatory comments towards America were made by Americans themselves. It was actually in fact an American who made the first insult towards the other nation, and yes, some Brits retaliated.

[quote]Webbykun wrote:

[quote]Webbykun wrote:

[/quote]

v.

[/quote]

I did not directly insult anyone or any race, at least it was not my intention to do so. I said I simply made an observation, so I was curious as to the reason. Observation =/= insult. For example, observing someone has a different skin colour to you is pretty obvious, it does not mean you’re racist though.

The first few derogatory comments towards America were made by Americans themselves. It was actually in fact an American who made the first insult towards the other nation, and yes, some Brits retaliated.
[/quote]

dude, stop trying to sound smart. We all know what you were doing, Don’t delude yourself into a false sense of superiority. Because no one, but yourself, buys into the bullshit you just typed.

You were trolling, it sucked, but I’ll give you a 3/10 for effort.

[quote]Webbykun wrote:

[quote]Webbykun wrote:

[/quote]

v.

[/quote]

[/quote]

dude, stop trying to sound smart. We all know what you were doing, Don’t delude yourself into a false sense of superiority. Because no one, but yourself, buys into the bullshit you just typed.

You were trolling, it sucked, but I’ll give you a 3/10 for effort.

[/quote]

So now you just assume that anyone with a different opinion to you is trolling? Frankly, I couldn’t care less what your rating is either.

[quote]Webbykun wrote:

So now you just assume that anyone with a different opinion to you is trolling?
[/quote]

No dipshit, but that is a classic troll response, keep it up.

[quote]Webbykun wrote:

So now you just assume that anyone with a different opinion to you is trolling?
[/quote]

No dipshit, but that is a classic troll response, keep it up.[/quote]

D’oh! It took me this long to realise that you’re trolling haha.

In all honesty, can anyone name a war that the americans won on their own without the help of the British? I’m sure they’ll have invaded some South American country at some point and claimed that as a victory. Awaiting your answers…

OP, you don’t have to defend yourself. You weren’t being derogatory towards Americans. “I could care less” is ignorant and wrong given the meaning it generally intends to express. Plus, I’ve had countless english teachers tell me this when I’d point out a grading mistake. Irony. Lolz at the two demotivators. Good teamwork. BTW, a fair portion of Americans are smart (evidenced by our world domination).

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Is anyone here attending the National Grammar Rodeo at the Sheridan hotel in Canada?[/quote]

LOLZ! That made me scare the cat just now laughing.

[quote]jasonoleo wrote:
In all honesty, can anyone name a war that the americans won on their own without the help of the British? I’m sure they’ll have invaded some South American country at some point and claimed that as a victory. Awaiting your answers…[/quote]

The Revolutionary War?