'I Could Care Less' - Are You Sure?

This has always kind of confused me so I’m going to finally ask. Why do people, predominantly Americans (a small observation I made) say “I could care less” when trying to illustrate the point that they don’t give a shit. Here in England we say “I couldn’t care less”. If you could care less, then it implies that you care at least on some level, therefore giving a shit. If you couldn’t care less then you don’t care about it in the slightest. So how come so many people say “I could care less”? Are they just idiots, is it slang or is there something I’m missing? I’m not perfect at grammar either so this is why I ask.

Americans don’t know nothing.

I usually go with “I don’t care,” or “go away.”

Americans are fat lazy bastards and that has extended to their use of language.

I’ve never used “I could care less”. I’ve always expressed the proper form.
I think growing up with a German mom (who had learned proper English in school) has made me a stickler about proper English!

Same with when someone says “Anyways…”.
Since the use of ANY is there, it already implies countless WAYS.

Anyway, I couldn’t care less if you want to sound like a loser.

This very thought has been plaguing me for years!!

…not really.

People don’t really say what they mean?!

The phrase is, or at least was, “I couldn’t care less”, but people have gotten lazy or just ignorant to what they say vs what they mean. Then again there is that little thing called sarcasm. It’s where you say one thing but mean the opposite. Of course without voice inflection sarcasm can be lost easily.

This link has an interesting discussion on the topic.

Hai guyz! I just found this pic on teh Interwebz.

Could someone tell me what it’s all about?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Hai guyz! I just found this pic on teh Interwebz.

Could someone tell me what it’s all about?[/quote]

We could care less what it’s about. And your a looser for even asking

- YouTube

[quote]Webbykun wrote:
This has always kind of confused me so I’m going to finally ask. Why do people, predominantly Americans (a small observation I made) say “I could care less” when trying to illustrate the point that they don’t give a shit. Here in England we say “I couldn’t care less”. If you could care less, then it implies that you care at least on some level, therefore giving a shit. If you couldn’t care less then you don’t care about it in the slightest. So how come so many people say “I could care less”? Are they just idiots, is it slang or is there something I’m missing? I’m not perfect at grammar either so this is why I ask.[/quote]

Cuz fuck you dude.

America…fuck yeah!

I could care less = I sorta give a fuck about this stupid ass thread, but really, I am going to care less if the current trend continues. I’m only here in case someone starts posting boob pics.

or

I could care less = It is possible for me to give less of a fuck about your stupid ass than I do now, so STFU before you reach rock bottom.

I mean it makes perfect [b]since[/b] to meh.

Because Americans kicked the shit out of England before they even had an army.

Or…

The Americans saved the English in WWII.

Do the limes cause the English to have such bad teeth?

jk

Why don’t you decipher every piece of English vernacular for its origins while you are at it.

Kinda like all intents and purposes vs. all intensive purposes.

ps - fuck you

Irregardless…is not a word…regardless is always the proper word no matter what point you’re trying to make. This is the English grammar thread, isn’t it? :-p

I bench press 450 for 8 reps - I could care less if you believe me or not

Americans purposely changed certain English grammatical structures to separate themselves from the British after the Revolutionary War, hence the spelling difference in words like Labor, Color, and Center. Also Americans just love slang, and speak horribly in general.